Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Colt Sharps (Read 8423 times)
escopeta
Ex Member

Colt Sharps
Feb 25th, 2008 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Recently acquired a Colt Sharps that had been re-barreled to 7mmSTW. Barrel job does not look too great.I want something along the lines of a 7mm-08 or 260Rem. Any recommendations as to who would be a good smith to do this? I want a good barrel such as Shilen.
Also any info on the dis-assembly of the action.
I have always liked these guns and even have an origanal sales brochure from Sharps company from 1969. Read that Colt only sold about 500, however my serial is in the CS 21xx range. Also recently read that Bellmore Johnson tool made all the parts for Colt.
Thanks

IP Logged

GUNSMITH
Ex Member

Re: Colt Sharps
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
contact J.C.Gunsmithing for the job. They will fit a new barrel, and chamber the gun to perfection. Also blue the barrel, or Moly coat to match the action. They specialize in single shot rifles and are familiar with the Colt Sharps.
There phone number is 724 339 4151.

IP Logged

escopeta
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2008 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks will give them a call.

IP Logged

GUNSMITH
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2008 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
There are parts available from E-gunparts.com for the Colt Sharps. I bought some a while back.

IP Logged

BrianJ
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2008 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Specifically ask if they have ever worked on a "Colt Sharps" no matter who you send it to for the work. Many don't have a clue how to dissassemble them.

Yes, Bellmore Johnson did a great portion of the work.

Dissassemble as follows: remove scope, open lever to drop the block all the way down. You will notice a small screw in the exposed roller in center left side of block. Remove this screw, this disconnects the lever, then,  remove the larger screw thru the right side receiver and remove the lever, then push the block out the top. Believe I have a photo if necessary. PM email address 

I keep a record of as many CS as possible I have several in the 2100 serial. If possible I'd like to add your number and/or possibly tell you some history where it came from. PM me your complete number if you feel comfortable in doing so Would appreciate it.

bjm
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2008 at 8:45pm by BrianJ »  

IP Logged

escopeta
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2008 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Thanks PM sent

IP Logged

escopeta
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
BrianJ wrote on Feb 26th, 2008 at 8:28pm:
Specifically ask if they have ever worked on a "Colt Sharps" no matter who you send it to for the work. Many don't have a clue how to dissassemble them.

Yes, Bellmore Johnson did a great portion of the work.

Dissassemble as follows: remove scope, open lever to drop the block all the way down. You will notice a small screw in the exposed roller in center left side of block. Remove this screw, this disconnects the lever, then,  remove the larger screw thru the right side receiver and remove the lever, then push the block out the top. Believe I have a photo if necessary. PM email address 

I keep a record of as many CS as possible I have several in the 2100 serial. If possible I'd like to add your number and/or possibly tell you some history where it came from. PM me your complete number if you feel comfortable in doing so Would appreciate it.

bjm

Brian J has been a great help in my project and got me an original barrel in 30-06. Decided to do all the metalwork myself as barrel needs timing, chamber a little deeper and maybe extractor cut. Will have to build scope mounts from base materials as none are available on used market.
Will have a custom barrel made for it a little later in a smaller caliber.
Hopefully have her shooting in a month or so.

IP Logged

escopeta
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Above are photos of my Colt Sharps project. 1&2 are as I bought it with non factory 7STW barrel. Remainder show factory 30-06 barrel fitted, which required setting back,re-cut extractor grooves,and re-cut chamber. I also diamond lapped with .2micron diamond compound to mirror smooth. I built my own Weaver style bases and rust blued. In addition I built 2 brass pillars to mount free-floated forend and attached directly to the barrel. last shot is the first group shot out of it at 100yds.
It looks and runs good.

IP Logged

ken_hurst 910-221-5288
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
None of the parts for the Colt Sharps were made at Colt --- the whole job was made by an outside source.  I was working in the custom shop at the time .    Ken

IP Logged

escopeta
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks Ken. Yes I know that most parts were not made by Colt. Bellmore Johnson made a lot of them, and barrels I don't know. Colt just bought the name. I have some original Sharps brochures from 1969 and most articles written about this rifle. I had wanted one for many years and when I found mine it still took about 2 years for the seller to come to my price. As for the work I thought it better that I do it as opposed to someone not too familiar with the rifle. I also wanted to make some minor accuracy enhancements not originally included. For a single shot this particular design is very good, except extractor area is lacking. Lock time is faster than most bolt actions today. Too bad they dropped it as it would probably sell today. These are classy looking shooters.

IP Logged

ken_hurst 910-221-5288
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
I was told that it was dropped due to poor sales (high cost) ---- bean counters over estimated the interest in SS rifles.  Also,  said to not offer as much profit.

IP Logged

escopeta
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 27th, 2008 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Ran some Hornady 150 grn Interbond factory loads in the rifle and it ran at 3300+ and group of about 3/4" for 3 shots@100yds.
Recently acquired a new Kahles 4.5-18x50x30mm for this rifle and just waiting for the Burris Signature Zee rings to arrive to try it out again. A better combination than what is on it now.
Is anybody shooting these rifles today? I think they are great except the extractor is not the best.
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2008 at 8:30pm by »  

IP Logged

tbird1960
Senior Forum Member

He shoulda armed himself.

Reply #12 - Sep 29th, 2018 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
I have a 243 Colt Sharps that I traded a 30-06 Colt Sharps for. I wanted something that did not kick. Bad shoulder at 76. The only problem I have is it goes on safe every time I fire it. Supposed to be able to change that but have done what Gun Digest said do to change it and it still does not work. Really like the rifle.

NRA Patron, Whittington Center Founders Club, Life Member TSRA, Life Member HGCA Distinguished Rifleman Badge #783

IP Logged

Rich_Siegel

Reply #13 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 7:55am
Print Post  
Just for a point if interest, LL Bean in Freeport, Maine has a Colt Sharps for sale in 243, excellent condition, for $1400.

IP Logged

Fogman

Reply #14 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Also there's three on Guns International and a 22-250 on Gun Broker. Beautiful rifles. Looks like a Borchardt style action - what is the story on these? I had not heard of them until this thread.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint