Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Uberti high wall with set triggers (Read 16794 times)
tbird1960
Senior Forum Member

He shoulda armed himself.

Uberti high wall with set triggers
Feb 21st, 2008 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Has anyone bought one of the Uberti high walls with double set triggers? I keep seeing them advertised but have never seen one. What kind of group can you get with one of them? How well are they constructed?

NRA Patron, Whittington Center Founders Club, Life Member TSRA, Life Member HGCA Distinguished Rifleman Badge #783

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Re: Uberti high wall with set triggers
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 9:28am
Print Post  
I have one. Although the wood has a nice grain pattern the finish is ugly. Wood to metal fit is not all that great either. Mine is a .38-55 and I've only shot it with smokeless powder and paper patched bullets. Group size at 100 yards runs about 3-4 inches with a Marbles tang sight and a Lyman 17A. The crescent butt plate will hurt you if loaded heavy or shot much. Bore size on most of them (.38-55 anyway) is large. Mine is .374 with groove diameter .383. I'm getting set up to burn charcoal in it to see if it will shoot better. I may also put new wood on  with a shotgun butt. The mechanicals are very good including the triggers. The chamber is cut so that no resizing is required as .382 PP bullets are a snug fit into the fired case. I enjoy working on and tweaking guns so this is a nice project for me. All things concidered I like the rifle. I hope this answers your question.

Bill

IP Logged

tbird1960
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
I appreciate the info. Stock fit and finish no problem. I plan to refinish it and change the buttplate. I hate that style. Have you tried sr4759 powder. I have had very good luck with these old calibers with that powder.

NRA Patron, Whittington Center Founders Club, Life Member TSRA, Life Member HGCA Distinguished Rifleman Badge #783

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
tbird1960, I'll jump in here and say I was in on the testing of a single trigger .38-55 Uberti high-wall not long ago and my buddy was getting most gratifying initial results out of 4759 loadings.  He used 16.0 gr behind an unsized (liquid Alox lubed) bullet from my old Lyman 375248 mould (that casts significantly oversized.)  Bill's experience with that large bore seems to be the rule rather than an exception..

Froggie

PS  The test article was for the new original length Starline Brass, which worked quite well.  Article should appear in the next SSR Journal.  GF

IP Logged

rikkit

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
I'm not trying to hijack this thread but, I have  been considering an Uberti Low Wall in .22.  I too have heard that the Italian rifle bores tend to be gernerous in size.  My concern is that their 22's may also be designed this way, I just don't want a $900 rifle that keyholes 22 rounds.  Has anybody heard anything positive or not about the 22's.

IP Logged

PowderFlask2
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Hey Rikkit

I can't speak for everyone but I have a 40-65 Uberti High wall that the chamber and barrel is right on specs. The barrel seems to have just a little bit of taper to it....a little tighter at the muzzle which is great for cast bullets.

I think for the money Uberti rifles are a very good value and mine shoots great...it has been very reliable mechanically and I have never broken anyting, If I find another one at a reasonable price I will buy it but the used ones in this area are selling for close to what I can buy a new one for. I would say that they look like a factory produced rifle however.

I can tolerate the looks for the price....but am not partial to their finish on the wood which is a little to shiney...some day I will strip it down and put an oil finish on it....now I have to find some day on the calendar.

Rambling a little
Gary

IP Logged

Bullshot

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 7:49am
Print Post  
Hi PowderFlask2
First I'm new to the forum. Enjoy single shot rifles especially the HighWall. I also have a Cimerron High Wall in 40-65. Pistol grip with double set triggers (which work great)(don't like not being able to let the hammer down without the set trigger being activated or pushing forward on the front trigger)It has Shaver Soule rear and a Shaver globe front sight. I can't get mine to shoot reasonable groups with any powder other than Accurate 8700,(2inch best and not always repeatable) which now has been discontinued.All shooting at 100 yds.You say yours shoots well. If you shoot smokeless would you care to share the powder type and bullet you are using. I have the RCBS 300 CSA the Lyman 410660 and the Saeco 740 moulds. The RCBS shoots the best. Anyone else have any ideas?
I have a Perersoli Sharps in 45-70 same basic sight setup that shoots about anything I put through it into 1 1/2 to 2 in groups all day. The Sharps really like the 405 gr lead and Accurate 5744.
Thanks

Bob  NRA Life Benefactor

IP Logged

PowderFlask2
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 8:22am
Print Post  
Sorry I can't help you with smokeless, I've never shot anything in mine but Blackpowder.

CCI BR2 primers, newpaper wad over the primer, 56 grains of 2F swiss (No compression) a .30 walters veggie wad, another newspaper wad (to insure the veggie wad doesn't stick to the bullet, a 406 grain Steve Brooks bullet of 20-1 lubed with SPG.

Thats the best load I've come up with for my gun, it did not like Federal primers or Goex powder YMMV.

Gary

IP Logged

mdeland
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
   I stripped the red finish on my Uberti and replace it with Tru-oil after checkering both the forearm and butt stock. I like how it looks and feels much better now. I also cut off the hooked butt , stock and wood, saved the top tab, welded it to a flat shotgun type butt plate shaped to the stock and added a red Ruger rubber pad. I think it turned out well. MD

IP Logged

Johnny B. Good
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 7:37am
Print Post  
mdeland, any chance of some pics? Smiley

IP Logged

Tenderfoot
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
rikkit wrote on Feb 22nd, 2008 at 9:32pm:
I'm not trying to hijack this thread but, I have  been considering an Uberti Low Wall in .22.  I too have heard that the Italian rifle bores tend to be gernerous in size.  My concern is that their 22's may also be designed this way, I just don't want a $900 rifle that keyholes 22 rounds.  Has anybody heard anything positive or not about the 22's.

I don't know about a .22 LR but can relate my recent experience with a similar Uberti Low Wall (standard trigger) if you are interested.   

For my retirement I bought myself a Uberti Low Wall in .32-20.  I got it at the end of December, shot it and found the chamber to be different from any .32-20 I've ever seen (perhaps there is a .32-20 Improved chambering that I'm not aware of).  The fired cases remind me of a .256 Winchester Mag; the shoulder area was blown forward into the neck and some cases had splits burned through the shoulder area of the brass.  Also the leade seems exceptionally long as I was not able to seat the 115 gr. cast bullet out to touch it.

I sent an e-mail to the distributor along with a photo of one of the fired cases.  They paid for the return of the rifle and I shipped it back.  After a week or so I was able to talk to the person who fired it with the same results I had.   I was told they would discuss the problem with Uberti at the SHOT Show.

About two weeks ago I was able to hook up with someone who knew about the problem and was told that there was a barrel in Italy, it would have to be proofed, sent to the idistributor and installed on my rifle.  So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and relying on the distributor to take care of it.

From my limited firing with my favorite smokeless load the Uberti isn't as accurate as my Marlin 1894CL .32-20 but I suppose that could be attributed to the bad chamber job and long leade.  I'll see what happens when I shoot the rebarreled rifle.

BTW, this forum is a wealth of great SS/BP cart. info.  Love it!

Tenderfoot

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the insanity, TF.  Good luck with the new barrel!

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

mdeland
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
  JBG, I'll try my hand to see if I can get a picture on here of it. I am not very handy on these computers and my son who does it for me is out of state. MD

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
I had a good experience with Uberti customer service. My 30/30 highwall wouldnt shoot when i got it, larger at the muzzel than chamber. Sent it back to them They replaced it with a hand picked rifle that shoots real good.
Tom

IP Logged

tbird1960
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Mar 27th, 2008 at 10:27am
Print Post  
How close a copy is the Uberti high or lo-wall? Are the parts interchangeable? Or is the action completely different from the original Winchester?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint