Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) what is accurate??  1/2" or better??? (Read 11653 times)
irish66
Oldtimer

Re: what is accurate??  1/2" or better???
Reply #15 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 7:19am
Print Post  
westerner,
shot the cma again, and it was in a little stronger wind last sat. managed two more 1.25 groups before it got so bad had a front come through and it was a waste of time even loading.
cheers
irish

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #16 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
BillOregon,

Yes thats the range. Ive been shooting their spring and fall schutzen matches since about 1988.  Great range , great people, fond memory's and more to come.   Smiley

Irish, 

That wind is the big equalizer.  Lol !!   Grin  Angry

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 2:01am
Print Post  
greetings,

all my guns shoot a one hole group at 200. IF and i do say IF i don't shoot a scond shot..

tt.g

IP Logged

Gussy
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Quote:
greetings,

all my guns shoot a one hole group at 200. IF and i do say IF i don't shoot a scond shot..

tt.g

Hey double X
Only if you hit the paper on your first shot!!

IP Logged

bluesteel45
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
kinglooie, this is always a good thread when someone asks it !! it think where .40 cal and up are concerned, any time your flirting with true MOA clean out to 500 yards, [or meters],  your having a pretty good day. i've seen sub-MOA stuff already, but seldom repeated on the next range session. too many changed variables. i also agree with a 1 1/2 MOA gun to be race ready as far a metallic silouette is concerned, even though i know my rifle is capable of better on given days. as far as schuetzen is concerned, a whole new measuring stick is required...that being said, i've seen some pretty good 38/55's and 32/40's go south  unexplicably....which is OK provided the other guys had the same problems!!!! it's amazing how many microscopic groups get shot from a typewriter!! guess that's why remington used to make them....hmmmmm.......blue

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
A few years ago the Pedersoli outfit offered what they called the Pedersoli MOA Challenge, IIRC, which consisted of a single shot rifle of 40 caliber or over firing a cartridge loaded with black powder. The Challenge was to fire 4 consecutive 5-shot groups @ 100 yds, each and all of which had to measure 1 MOA or less. Had to be witnessed, of course, but that means nothing.

Think about it. One MOA seems almost laughably easy until........UNTIL you think about the conditions. The specification of 4 consecutive groups means that the rifle/shooter combination must be capable of repeating that level of accuracy more-or-less on demand, with no excuses.

We've all seen the fellows who carry around their braggin' groups in their wallets, they pull out those little tiny groups and show them around like a proud mother with a picture of her new baby! Well, how many of those supposedly super-accurate rifle/shooter combinations do you think might have met and surpassed the Pedersoli MOA Challenge? Should have been pretty easy, right? Should have been a lotta shooters qualify, right?

Well, I have no idea how many shooters actually tried to qualify but I do know that as of about 6-8 months after the Challenge was issued, only two shooters had actually succeeded.

Only two. The qualification standard was a repeatable less-than-one-MOA rifle/shooter combination, and only two qualified. Out of the entire BP shooting audience that Dick Trenk and Pedersoli could reach with this Challenge, only two qualified!

So when you think about accuracy, think about the level that can actually be produced ON DEMAND and of course the classic example is the pressure of an actual match. Any blind hog can find the occasional acorn and shoot the occasional small group in practice but the true test is to take ALL the groups into account when assessing the accuracy.
Just a thought, Joe

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 8:24am
Print Post  
JD you are exactly right. 

My standard of mechanical accucary is duplicating the string required in competition.  Offhand Schuetzens need to be tested with 10 shot strings, the number of shots on a target in competition.  And more important at the end of a match it has to group like the first string.  When I shot a lot of BPC silhouette we used to put a 10 shot group on paper after the match was over. Lots of surprises from rifles that were thought to be very accurate.

With that standard there are not many 1 1/2 moa offhand rifles. Some for sure but not many.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint