Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) H&R CR-1871 (Read 18208 times)
Richard
Participating Member

H&R CR-1871
Feb 18th, 2008 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Since my single shot 'bug' has been touched off I've been searching the web to see who makes what. I saw Remington makes a couple of  Rolling  Block riles that look nice in the 3000 - 3500 price range. Harrington & Richardson make a CR-1871. This 'buffalo' rifle goes for $400 new.  I'm curious why it's so inexpensive .. or cheap? Has anyone seen this?

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Re:   H&R CR-1871
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Richard,
I have one. It is a simple yet nice looking single shot on a format that has been built for decades. This is a part of why it is "cheap". However, if you are looking to shoot in competition I am not sure it qualifies for NRA matches because of the rule regarding when they were available. It seems I heard that some were making a move to have it approved by the NRA but I don't really know if there is any merit to that or if the NRA would have approved it even if there was.
If you are looking to shoot in the big bore class of the ASSRA schuetzen matches I believe it would qualify. That may depend on the individual Schuetzenmiester.
All that said, I really like my gun. It has nice colors, the wood is ok but fit to action is oversized like on everything else made by those guys. It shoots good. I ordered a .22 hornet barrel and it was fit to the checkered forened by the factory so I have a 2 barrel set. This is a nice feature to these guns. Total for an additional barrel with shippong installed and fit by the factory is less than 150.00! Last I looked, they still offered the 38-55 barrel as an accessory, might make a good entry level schuetzen gun? 
MerwinBray

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

Richard
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info. It seems like at the price they are offering it at one could have plenty of cash left over to cusomize it.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
There is a whole forum devoted to 'Handi-holics' on Graybeardoutdoors.com .

Often you'll see threads there on accurizing and customizing.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
I would recomed checking out the used market. I have seen these at local gun shows for very reasonable prices. Check the on line auctons also. They are neat guns for the money. Do not own one YET.

IP Logged

podufa

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 3:12am
Print Post  
I own a 38-55 bought it because it was cheap , I thought it would be a good play thing but it is way better than that . I just wish it weighed a pound more. It dose shoot . I heard Treebone made a butt-stock but don't know if that is true. You get a lot of gun for the money.

IP Logged

vbull

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 7:35am
Print Post  
An earlier reply commented the rifle was not legal for NRA competition.  I'm not sure if it is or not for silhouette, but for NRA Black Powder Target rifle competition it is perfectly legal.  So long as the sights are a pre-1896 design.  NRA BP Target rifle competitions are shot between 200 - 600 yards midrange and 800 - 1000 yards long range.  There are even some reduced midrange courses.   
Even modern inline muzzleloaders are legal so long as the sights are correct.  Although scopes are legal, they must be less then 1" objective / ocular diameter, 3/4" tube and use either Malcomn or early turret type mounts without clicks.  Time limits are much more liberal then silhouette also.  Frank M.

IP Logged

zpeters78
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Well if the H&R Buffalo Classic isn't a legal rifle for NRA shoots, it ought to be.  It meets all the criteria, and to the critics that say it's not typical of a late 19th Century single shot rifle, I would say take a look at this!  It's the Wurfflein tip-up rifle made in Philadelphia 1880's - 90's.  H&R says that the Buffalo Classic is styled after the Wesson rifle, I would have to say no to that, but it sure looks ALLOT like the Wurfflein!

IP Logged

19bluesman85
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Wow, I agree with zpeters78. There is really no reason why the H&R Buffalo Classic can't be included in competions. Maybe it's because all the shooters with high dollar rifles would hate to get beat by a $300 rifle!  Grin

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Wow, I agree with zpeters78. There is really no reason why the H&R Buffalo Classic can't be included in competions. Maybe it's because all the shooters with high dollar rifles would hate to get beat by a $300 rifle!  Grin

IMO you have hit the nail squarely on the head. The mental giants at the NRA's Sillywet Competition Committee have said that the H&R is not legal while a stainless-steel 'Farrow' race gun action qualifies as legal. What a farce!

Orwell was right, some animals are indeed more equal than others! Reminds me of some other rules in other organizations........
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
The big drawback for the H&R Target Classic and Buffalo Classics are the sights. The Williams is not legal, and changing to a vernier long range type sight is very hard to do, as there's no tang to mount it on. 
I've seen some folks mount their sights right into the stock, behind the frame, but it looked petty shaky, even with a metal base bedded into the stock. 
I made a top tang for mine, and had it TIG welded inside so it wouldn't show. Then I inletted the stock to fit around it. Worked well, and I just cold blued it, and drilled and tapped for a sight I had already.
The throughbolt design is nice, and I added weight to mine by filling the hroughbolt hole with #8 lead shot, and just putting the buttplate back over it. Added enough weight to really make it feel better, and handle the .45-70 recoil better.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

19bluesman85
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Well it looks like the Wurfflein was not the only tip-up rifle used in the 1800's.  Look at this C.B. Holden (looks kinda like the H&R Buffalo Classic).

IP Logged

zpeters78
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
It would seem to me, in the spirit of getting people involved in shooting BPCR that could otherwise not afford to be involved (not everyone can afford a $1200 or more rifle), that the H&R Buffalo Classic would be a very formadable rifle to "get into the game".

IP Logged

19bluesman85
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Mar 17th, 2008 at 7:25pm:
The big drawback for the H&R Target Classic and Buffalo Classics are the sights. The Williams is not legal, and changing to a vernier long range type sight is very hard to do, as there's no tang to mount it on. 
I've seen some folks mount their sights right into the stock, behind the frame, but it looked petty shaky, even with a metal base bedded into the stock. 
I made a top tang for mine, and had it TIG welded inside so it wouldn't show. Then I inletted the stock to fit around it. Worked well, and I just cold blued it, and drilled and tapped for a sight I had already.
The throughbolt design is nice, and I added weight to mine by filling the hroughbolt hole with #8 lead shot, and just putting the buttplate back over it. Added enough weight to really make it feel better, and handle the .45-70 recoil better.

What about this sight on a Buffalo Classic?

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2008 at 8:06pm by »  

IP Logged

19bluesman85
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Here is the photo of the old Peabody rifle with a similar rear sight:

IP Logged

19bluesman85
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Here's a better photo of the optional sight for the Buffalo Classic:

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #16 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy,
I am one of those who has put it right on the wood, and you're right, it seems shaky. I always feel if I bump it wrong it will pull out of the wood. I may just be paranoid. It hasn't happened yet, as I try not to make a habit out of knocking my guns around! But it is just a matter of odds. I like the idea of weighting the stock. I have thought about taking some wood out of the forened and somehow filing it with lead, but doubt I ever do. The shot idea seems easy and pretty quick with no real chance of hurting the gun. Great tip!
Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

19bluesman85
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 8:36pm
Print Post  

Could you post a photo of your modification?

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Apr 8th, 2008 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
One note. I have seen several top quality original single shots with cracked stocks due to lead shot. Over the years the lead oxidizes and swells. Just a beware, it probably take more than a lifetime to happen but....

GTalk  
IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Re: H&R CR-1871
Reply #19 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Steve Durren wrote a great series of articles on turning one of these into a fine schuetzen. I believe treebone cuts a stock for it

IP Logged

Dr.J

Re: H&R CR-1871
Reply #20 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Where did you find the articles by Steve Darren on converting the H&R to a schutzen rifle?  Thanks, Tom

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint