Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Dave Crossno Hepburns (Read 5239 times)
DaleHDeal
Participating Member

Dave Crossno Hepburns
Feb 17th, 2008 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
I took the advise of Old-Win and called Dave on Saturday afternoon.  It was educational to say the least.  His price though outside of my mad money budget, is not so far that I cannot "fudge" the books, so to speak. 
  Another gentleman has also sent photos that I am looking at also, but the barrel maker is unknown along with the smith was.  It is very nice work though. 
  How does Dave Crossno's work rate?  The photo he sent me of a Hepburn is nothing short of beautiful.  He said the only thing he does not do on a build is rifle the barrel.  Wish I could do that...

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Dave Crossno Hepburns
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Dale,  Did Dave Crosno say what he was using for an action?  Is he making them himself or working on castings?  Bob

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Year before last, I ran into Dave Crossno and friends at Raton. Dave showed me a Reming Hepburn in 22 LR that he had made, action and all. I believe that the action was made from castings, but you'll have to get the fine points from Dave, it was a very nice little gun.

Bob

IP Logged

DaleHDeal
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Bobs,
  I did not ask him if he was using castings or not to be honest.  I plan to call him back today and I will ask.
  I know that there has always been debate as to casting, forged, machined, etc. being better than the next.  A good one is Shiloh and C Sharps 1874s.  At the pressure levels we deal with in BPCR and with a good casehardening does it really matter?
  I personally don't have the experience to answer that question.  I will let you know about what Dave uses.

Thanks again,
Dale

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
I have four of Dave Crossno's Hepburns. He built them on his own actions. The newest is a .22 I had built for BPCR silhouette, others are 40-65, 40-82, and 45-90). I had him supply an additional butt-stock, a long-range stock that I put on the gun when I shoot it with a scope. My opinion is that these guns are of the highest quality in all aspects; function, fit, and finish and they're all superb shooters. Additionally he built me a 45-90 Creedmoor pattern Rolling Block on a #5 military action. if you go to his site and look in the fit/finish section you can see the rifle, it's the one with the checker-board pattern walnut wood. He has worked on probably a dozen or so other rifles for me and each time the quality of the work is of the highest order. Currently he is building 2 .22 Rolling Blocks for me; a heavy-barrelled #2 (the barrel is a 1/2 octagon that came off one of my Hepburns), the other is a Creedmoor pattern #1 1/2 which will be a twin to the 45-90 (using the same checker-board wood). As with the Hepburns, his gunsmithing is of the highest quality.

IP Logged

DaleHDeal
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
I spent 2 hours on the phone this afternoon with Mr Crossno.  It was an education in not just Hepburns, but Ballards and Highwalls too.  It was real nice to have a craftsman take the time to speak with someone at such length.  We covered so much stuff!!!  The end of it is I bought a Hepburn from the man himself.  The one he calls Reba because the wood is red auburn and the color case has red and green in it.  More than I had to spend, but I could not say no.  Damn rifles!

He uses castings he had made in the 90's and the mills the thing to become a Hepburn.  Color case hardens them, picks a blank of his wood then cuts it to be a work of art.  I'll post pics as soon as I can.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint