Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re: How to build best .22?  Ballard, Stevens (Read 16106 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: How to build best .22?  Ballard, Stevens 44,
Reply #30 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
I got a kick out of it Ben.  I think you got Brent spun up though. LMAO.

Course that aint hard to do.   Grin

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #31 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 11:18am
Print Post  
I would follow the path of the masters regarding what action to use. Harry Pope, AW Peterson, CC Johnson, Neidner, Hubalek, and Eric Johnson built some of the most accurate target single shots ever and favored the Ballard action. Eric Johnson developed probably the best extractor system and Pope's lightened, speed-locked, self-cocking hammer makes the Ballards hard to beat (though Pope also used the same system on High Walls). Ballards can be tuned to breech up as tight as you could want, 'will push rounds into a tight chamber, their double-set triggers are silky smooth, and the through bolt will ensure the butt is solid to the action. 
A lot of aspects of building a gun have been mentioned (barrels, actiions, etc), you shouldn't overlook the importance of proper extractor fit to prevent buldged brass. At the .22 BPCR silhouette match at Raton last year I picked up some empty cases and was shocked at how many were buldged at the rim. The year before last a shooter was nearly blinded when a case exploded. Luckily she had her glasses on. I've seen a lot of buldged brass coming out of Winchesters with kicker extractors. I've been told the cases apparently aren't well supported in the chamber because of the large extractor. Because of the small size of the chambers, extra care must be taken to make everything just right. This is much less of a problem with big calibers, again info from a very reputable gunsmith.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
While I don't much care for bulging cases, I don't see that they much matter - provided they never burst.  I've shot right at about 3000 rounds through my low wall now, and it has yet to burst anything, yet every case is bulged at 6 o'clock.  As for accuracy, it will hold it's own with any Martini from Mark IV on down, so I don't think accuracy is an issue.

Brent

IP Logged

kinglooie
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Man,  I can't believe I'm going to say this........you start out with a ruger 10/22 magazine.  Buy a force action,buy a shilen barrel(threaded), go through the brownells book and buy everything you can titanium, oversized pins and bushings,a bell and carlson bench stock(fully adj.).  First crown the barrel at 11 degrees,  chamber it to a match chamber, bed the action in the stock, go to your local sporting goods shop and buy the best scope you can afford(this one happended to be a 6-24 swarovski), buy every style of 22lr ammo the store has in stock, a bundle of targets and off to the range.  I just so happen to find cci green tag and std shot the best.  Its amazing what a few thousand well spent dollars can doo for your accuracy......I didn't just post that on a single shot page did I??? sorry to offend anybody.  Just couldn't resist!!!!

kinglooie

IP Logged

Tar_Baby
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
glad i didn't say that-poof i be gone.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Re: How to build best .22?  Ballard, Stevens
Reply #35 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Sure.. you can pour money into a 10/22 and make it shoot.. (been there, done that, so to speak).
It'll actually be CHEAPER to build a single shot, or bolt action for that matter, that will out-shoot a 10/22. Even a fully rebuild "race gun".

I've had guys tell me their 10/22's will outshoot my Anschutz prone rifle.
None of them have proved it (or even showed up to try...). 

Back to the question at hand;
I'd pick the Stevens 44, cause I have one and I'm thinking of rebuilding that into a nice offhand .22.  Smiley

Paul F.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #36 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Why didn't I think of that years ago? Take a $150 decent shooter 10/22 and sink in anothr thousand or two, plug the mag tube opening, then put a fancy schuetzen stock on it, and tell everyone it's a singleshot!!!!!!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #37 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 2:47am
Print Post  
I thought you might go with the trapdoor Dave.  Ballards are nice though.  Not too many .22 trapdoors around. Kind of unique. Scarce. Smiley

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 7:07am
Print Post  
just a couple general thoughts;

backboring:   the liner/insert systems that crossno and others sell seem to work very accurately,  If they are adjusted properly and if you can put up with the loading process.  they are all pretty well made for 40-45 cal bores.  We have a couple rifles at the EG 22 matches that are "back bored" "short lined" whatever and they seem to work well.

accurate actions:  Actions are just one part of the overall mechanical system that delivers the bullet to the target--accurately.  The trigger systems, lock time, solidness and squareness of barrel fit, same for stock, chambering and extraction systems, etc are all important. I'm not sure that one action is inheirantly more accurate than another--at least among solid quality made actions.
One thing I'd pay careful attention to is how solid the cartridge rim/extractor support  is at the moment of hammer/firing pin strike.  If the extractor is at all loose or floating it leaves the cartridge rim a little loose in the chamber which in turn can lead to variances in ignition. I believe that a larger precision-fitted extractor will give a more consistant ignition than a smaller one and consistant shot to shot ignition is a critical factor in rimfire accuracy

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint