Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Scarcity of long range matches? (Read 6731 times)
Citizen_Carrier
Ex Member

Scarcity of long range matches?
Feb 15th, 2008 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places, but it appears that very few NRA Long Range BPCR matches are held, well, anywhere.

Silhouette matches seem to dominate the BPCR world. No doubt in fact to the rarity of ranges able to accomodate a 1000 yard event.

Maybe somebody could help me out.

I'm interested in buying a particular model of BPCR rifle, but in the configuration I would like it comes in over the 12 pounds 2 ounces restriction for silhouette matches.

This wouldn't bother me too much if I could at least shoot in LR matches either in Ohio or in one of the states that border it.

Anything around?

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Re: Scarcity of long range matches?
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 7:18am
Print Post  
I know that at one time 
yauponcreek.org
in columbus tx had informal matches on a buffalo at 750 m. and they have large steel plate dingers at 600, 900, and 1000.
that is about the only one I know about maybe thier website can help.
irish

IP Logged

vbull

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 7:33am
Print Post  
I think the reason for few long range matches is the scarcity of long range firing ranges.  There are more midrange (600 yard) ranges available and the NRA has a course of fire to fit.  The midrange course is similar to the high power national match course.  200 yards offhand, 300 yards sitting and 600 yards prone.  All of the distances can also be shot all prone depending on the match sponsor.
We also shoot at reduced distances on reduced targets.  Here in Rhode Island, the local range is only 300 yards.  So we shoot the 200 and 300 on normal targets and the 600 yard on a 1/2 size reduced target at 300 yards.   
The rifle weight is 15 lbs maximum.  We started shooting these matches 3 years ago and it has steadily grown each year.  Frank M.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Vbull is right in the eastern half of the United States there are very few 1000 yard ranges and even fewer that are not on millitary bases. I am lucky to belong to a club that has a 1000 yard range but its hard to get on it with the millitary high power shooters useing it every weekend.

40 Rod

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 9:18am
Print Post  
The Tusco Rifle Club at Midvale, Ohio has Buffalo Matches about every month if you are interested-- the longest distance is 235 yard [chicken] -200yd [ram]-150 [turkey] -100yd [pig]- everything shot from crosssticks-either black or smokeless and no weight limit--must have a hammer--38 or larger caliber.   It sounds easy but the chicken is pretty small at 235 yards..leadball

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Probably a bit far, but Quantico, VA has an available range of 600, 800 and 1000 yards.   

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

38-55

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Here in Pa there is a range available for 1000 yard matches.  The range is not the problem.  The people to make it happen is.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Cat is right, the NRA has the mid atlantic regional at Quantico, VA. It would be a bit of a haul for you but that seems to be a common occurance for those wanting to shoot long range. I was looking at a mention of the Oak Ridge long range match in TN and two competitors came from England to shoot!
I have shot the Quantico Mid Range (200, 300, 600) match but never the long range, but I know several people who do. A few of them haunt this board. If you are interested let us know. Myself or one of the others can get you the contact info for the man in charge. I think the first match is in April and I hope to shoot it this year. Missed it last year because of medical problems.
Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
I forgot to mention that the Tusco rifle Club at Midvale, Ohio has a 600 or 800 yard range[not sure which]  but no singleshot matches "yet" but members can shoot on the range,  also the same area of the state, Cambridge has a 1000 yard range called Thunder Valley where they shoot 1000yd benchrest, but no singleshot matches.  leadball

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
The Cadillac gun club in Michigan has 2 events a year (out to 600yds), here is the news letter with listings (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);
2008 MRPA Black Powder matches, also they hold long range out ot 1000yd BP matches at Camp Grayling Michigan at least once a year, do not know when though.
MIKE-T

IP Logged

Citizen_Carrier
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
I guess the trick would be to find matches, long range or silhouette or informal that would allow me to compete with a rifle heavier than 12 pounds 2 ounces.

Long story short, I want the C. Sharps Boss Gun. It is the one gun I looked at continuously on their website and their color catalogue whenever I had a spare moment in Baghdad in 2005.

For various reasons I never followed through on that or any other BPCR rifle.

Were it not for a self-imposed rule not to buy anymore firearms that I don't have a competitive use for, I would not hesitate to place my order now so that the rifle is waiting for me after I return from Kuwait this time around.

I read that the owner of C. Sharps is looking to sell his business and retire, so I'm thinking this may be something it would be best to move on.

The approximate weight of the Boss Gun with 30 inch heavy barrel is 12 lbs. Unfortunately, this does not say that the weight is with or without sights added. That's cutting it a bit close...and I kind of would prefer a 32 or 34 inch barrel anyway.

I suppose that since this is a reward to myself for this deployment, I could waive my self-imposed "must have a use" rule and find a use for it after I have it.

I could probably talk myself into that if I must, but I'll try to stick with my convictions...

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
In most Club level Silouette matches you would not be turned away, perhaps not awarded prizes but allowed to shoot for sure.  What caliber is it ?  If big it could be taxing to shoot entire matches.  Generaly 45/70 is as much as anyone shoots Silouette.

My club does not even have a scale

Boats

IP Logged

Citizen_Carrier
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Oh, I'd get it initially in 45-70. That just seems to be a good starting point.

Yet, if I were only going to shoot at Tusco range matches, as Leadball mentioned, calibers like 40-65, 40-70 or 40-90 start to seem interesting.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Feb 17th, 2008 at 9:30am
Print Post  
CC looked at that rifle on CSharps site. It's nice thats for sure. If you will stand for some rambling,

I have the same self imposed restriction. don't want to own anything I don't use.  It is problematical with Single shots however. There are probably 4 ideal set up's depending on the match you want to shoot.  Long range, Silhouette ,Schuetzen traditional, or Modern Schuetzen. Then add rimfire vs centerfire and offhand vs bench or cross sticks and you see what I mean.

C Sharps also sets one up under the original long range rules which is lighter and I believe had a trigger pull restriction.  I have examined many old long range rifles as well as the best reproductions and to my eye they are the most graceful of all. I think 10 #lbs was the rule

It's never a bad choice to get a rifle set up for popular matches, re-sale as well as more shooting options. If it meets BPCS rules long run you would be better off.  I suspect it will weigh if the barrel is 30 inches.  If long is what you want there long range target rife set up for the old NRA rule would easily make weight.  Another weight saver is giving the barrel some taper. Octagon to round with some taper could well make weight even if 32 inches or longer

Unless you need the 45/90 for 1000 yard shooting 45/70 is a better choice. Less recoil more options for matches.  The 40's are match winners if under 600 yards though due less Recoil. That particular rifle to my eye would not be right in anything other than 45 though.  Get down to Schuetzen distances and the 38's for black and 32's for smokeless rule.

At the price of a new Korean Car you ought to get it exactly like you want it.  No doubt CSharps has built rifles in many weights and knows exactly how to make class weights

Boats

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
From the looks of things the 38's and 40's are starting to replace the 45's at long range. Bullet designs like those from Dan Theodore (NASA, mini-groove, and grooveless) along with those 10 and 12 twist 38 barrels have made the hummingbirds real competitive. They can shoot fast, flat, and stable out to 1000 yds and a lot less recoil.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint