Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic NIB Win. Hi-Wall (Read 5489 times)
buggybuilder

NIB Win. Hi-Wall
Feb 8th, 2008 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Can any of you fellows tell me if the NIB Win. Hi-walls are available with set triggers? Does anyone make after market single or double set for these? Are these rifles any good?
Also, can anyone tell me how they group with a factory barrel?
I'm leaning towards the 38-55 caliber.
For the Browning Single Shot the same questions apply.
Do any of these have Badger or Douglas barrels?

Any suggestions as to which way I should go?

I've been told that the Stevens 44 1/2 actions will accomodate the      38-55, is this true?  Anyone have an action they want to sell reasonably?
Thanks for any info!

YIM  
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: NIB Win. Hi-Wall
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2008 at 8:41am
Print Post  
CPA's version of the 44 1/2 will accomodate .40's. The origional Stevens was chambered in 38-55. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

drc

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2008 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
there is a cpa over on buffalo arms with barrels in both 38-55 and 40-65

assuming it has not been hurt, its a good deal

dc

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2008 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
looks like a deal to me - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

buggybuilder

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2008 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Am I to assume that the Browning and Winchester single shots don't group well enough to mention or ?

YIM  
IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2008 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
For some reason new Brownings and Winchesters are not very popular with our group. I don't think there has been a single one at recent matches at E-G. It may be the lack of set triggers, or the too shiny new appearance, but it may be that they are simply not set up very well for shooting at 200 yards in our style of shooting. Not set up for Offhand and perhaps not accurate enough for bench rest. Also they seem to mostly come in big calibers. although I may have heard mention of a .32-40.

Now if it were an original Wnchester Hiwall-that's different-they are very popular.

IP Logged

wildbill
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2008 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Uberti, available from Cimmaron Arms in Texas, has a sporter hi-wall equipped with double set triggers, though I have personally never seen one on the range. C. Sharps arms uses Badger barrels on their repro Hi-Walls, but they are not set up for schuetzen. They have either a tradtional crescent buttplate or the shotgun butt. Ballard rifle in Cody Wyoming uses Badger, and I believe Meacham in idaho uses Badger as well. Ballard Rifle and Meacham will build a nice schuetzen rifle, but be prepared to spend in the neighborhood of $4,000.

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Ballard is no longer in Cody - as per recent posts on this forum they are now in Michigan - you all have a good day now - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
BuggyBuilder,

If I may be so bold I'd like to answer some of your question concerning the Winchester Hi-Walls.  But please note that Winchester has released several versions over the last 2 to 3 years.  

1)  “Can any of you fellows tell me if the NIB Win. Hi-walls are available with set triggers? Does anyone make after market single or double set for these?”
Answer – The rifles are not available with set triggers and no one makes an aftermarket set trigger.  It’s due to the complicated action, which incorporates several safety improvements, one being an inertial hammer sear.
2) “Are these rifles any good?” “Do any of these have Badger or Douglas barrels?”
Answer – They are all excellent rifles.  If you are referring to the recent half round half octagon heavy 30” & 34” barrel BPCR versions in caliber .45-70, .45-90 & .50-90 Sharps, these have Badger barrels and are highly accurate given the proper black powder loads.  These also have shotgun style buttstocks, dull oil-type wood finish and many other custom features. Note that other versions in various calibers with straight tapered octagon barrels and high gloss wood finish have barrels manufactured by Miroku.  I can’t personally speak to the accuracy of these but understand they are very accurate.  Most of these are geared for hunting with bores and twist rates for lighter weight cast or copper jacketed bullets.  The ones with concave buttplates are definitely not made for sihouette or long-range competition.
3) “Also, can anyone tell me how they group with a factory barrel?”
Answer – I have no ideal what you are referring to.
4) “For the Browning Single Shot the same questions apply.”
Answer: Browning BPCR Badger barrel rifles in .40-65, .45-70, and .45-90 calibers have not been made since 1998.  Although if you look long and hard you can still find a NIB one now and then, most of the ones for sale are slightly used.  The same comments apply to these as the Winchester Badger barrel comment above.  The recent Win. BPCR’s are exact duplicates of the Browning and are also made by Miroku.
5) “Any suggestions as to which way I should go?”
Answer – Depends on what you want to do with the rifle, hunt, silhouettes, Creedmoor long-range targets, looks good hanging over the fireplace, etc.

General comment – keep in mind that the Miroku manufactured Browning and Winchester model 1885 action is not a copy of the original Win. 1885.  It is vastly different and is most likely the reason the folks on this forum do not show much interest in the rifles.  Hope this helps.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

wildbill
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
I'm new to this forum, but that's the first I heard of it. Looks like they dropped their advertisement in the Black Powder Cartridge News as well. I guess the new owners wanted it a little closer to home.

Wild Bill

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint