Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic model 75 Sharps vs model 74 sharps (Read 6403 times)
Beans
Ex Member

model 75 Sharps vs model 74 sharps
Feb 4th, 2008 at 8:52pm
Print Post  

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post

I have been shooting for over 50 years , 99.9% smokless.

In my past  there has been BP  Remington pistols and a  T/C .54 Cal. ML These are long gone. (20 years) 

I am now playing with a 32-40 Win H wall made in 1887 in ( I'm shooting smokless) with a relined barrel.  The orginial caliber was also a 32-40. Smiley

In the past I had a custom made RB  replica in 38-55 win. which I used as a smokless SS for SASS  but alas it is also gone ( 14 years ago) Cry

I am looking to ease into a BP SS rifle for long range rifle.  I have decided on a Cal (40-65) and was wondering what is the advange of a Sharps model 75 vs a model 74? Undecided

By the way I found this board from a long time friend Cat1870

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Re: model 75 Sharps vs model 74 sharps
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Well, the model 74 looks better.  That's the most important issue. After that, it is all personal preference Smiley   

If you mean 800-1000 yds for "long range" I would go up a caliber or two were I you.  It is not essential, but I think it would serve you well.  .45-90s are hard to beat.

Brent

IP Logged

Doug_Nelson

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Beans,
I don't recall the exact figure, but the '74 Sharps action is relatively heavy.  In shooting sports where there was a maximum allowable gun weight-- Creedmoor, for instance-- the heavy action meant that weight couldn't be used somewhere else.  The barrel, for instance.  If memory serves, this was the incentive for the development of the '75 Sharps, to trim weight from the action so that it could be moved to the barrel.  This advantage was more important in the Creedmoor matches, which limited the rifles to (I think) 9.25 lbs.  In today's most popular sport, black powder silhouette, you have almost 2 extra pounds to play with, so the advantage is not as pronounced.  The '74 Sharps certainly does well in the BPCS matches.

The '74 Sharps is available with double set triggers.  The '75 Sharps, as produced by C Sharps Arms, is only available with a single trigger.  That might be important shooting offhand at the chickens in BPCS.

I own a Shiloh '74 and a C Sharps '75, and like them both.
Doug

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Doug,
Modern Creedmoor rules are varied (there is more than one governing body), and they allow heavier rifles - much heavier.  The also allow double sets and numerous other accoutrements.

IP Logged

zrifleman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
If you are a concerned about authenticity, the 1875 C Sharps is a poor copy.  The Shiloh 74 is cosest to original.

IP Logged

iowa
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Beans:  You might do well to take a look at the model 77 Sharps action as produced by Axtel.  Lighter frame, sleeker look to it, available with set triggers, and choise of barrel weights and calibres.  I'm like Brent, I'd look hard at the 45/90.     Best regards Iowa

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Beans:  You might do well to take a look at the model 77 Sharps action as produced by Axtel.  

Ah yes, a harder look (at least R-rated, adult supervision required)

My new baby (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Beans
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
My new baby (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);

NICE Grin Grin

IP Logged

bpsteve
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Beans,
I have a '75 C-Sharps listed on Gunbroker item #91343376
in 40-65 w/ a Badger barrel for $800.00.
She ain't no Axtel '77 or a Shiloh '74 but she shot well enough to win some matches.
Auction ends tomorrow so take a look.
Steve R
AZ.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 7:51am
Print Post  
Steve, that's a nice pistol grip you have on that.  Did you do it yourself?  What species of wood?

Brent

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint