Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sharps not good enough (Read 20785 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Sharps not good enough
Reply #30 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Douglas Ridge 1992.  The 800 yard gongs were in the clearing above the 600 yard butts.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #31 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
They moved the firing line back to the clubhouse now. Been that way since the late 1990's.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #32 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
I beleive you Marlinguy.  Here is Al Perry shooting an original Rem Creedmoor rifle at D.R.  He had a string of tens going. Amazed everbody on the line that day.   

Ok, enough with the pictures already.  What was this thread about?  Undecided

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #33 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 12:13am
Print Post  
I've seen that gun at one of our singleshot shows here at OAC! Al was a founding member of OAc at the ripe old age of 18 in 1950! Haven't seen a picture of Al with dark hair in some time! Wink

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Paul_Skvorc
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 3:34am
Print Post  
Only two comments:

"Run what ya brung" is a good philosphy in many walks of life, and

Guns don't win matches, people do.

Paul

IP Logged

wwben47
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Since I live on the East Coast Im not familiar with the clubs/locations mentioned in this thread...But I thought I would add this. A couple years ago Dan Theodore posted on his site that the Nationals at Raton had banned not BP rifles per se, but the 38/55. It was their feeling that the 55 was a hazard to the people in the pits. The powers that be had come up with a strange "power formula" to determine what calibers were ok for long range.

IP Logged

wildbill
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Quote:
Since I live on the East Coast Im not familiar with the clubs/locations mentioned in this thread...But I thought I would add this. A couple years ago Dan Theodore posted on his site that the Nationals at Raton had banned not BP rifles per se, but the 38/55. It was their feeling that the 55 was a hazard to the people in the pits. The powers that be had come up with a strange "power formula" to determine what calibers were ok for long range.

Ben47,
  I'll have to look through some of my back issues of the BPCR News, as I believe Theodore had an article on bullet drop and the hazards in the pit. I can't recall if the 38-55 was banned at the Nationals or not, but I don't know why anyone would even attempt to shoot that cartridge at a Creedmore Match. I've shot mine at BPCR Sillhoute, and the wind can do strange things at 500 meters. The 38-55 can knock down that ram, but it better be a good solid hit. Of course that's a timed relay, so you don't have the luxury of waiting out the wind. I believe 500 meters is the edge of the envelope for accuaracy with a 38-55, and that's if the conditions are perfect. 
   When I shoot long range in Oregon, I use my Shiloh 45-2 7/8" with a 550 Gr Hoch bullet. We shoot out to 1000 yards, and the wind can do stuff to that big piece of lead.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Wildbill, Dan Theodore (Dangerous Dan the Torpedo Man) has done extensive research on low-recoiling small-bore BPCR cartridges with extremely long & heavy bullets, for less recoil and better wind resisitance at long range. He himself is an adequate shooter although he's never won anything on a national level, but his ideas have acquired quite a following among BP shooters at long ranges.

I personally do not get along with Dan, at all, at all; could be his unfortunate personality (or mine!). But that doesn't alter the fact that he usually knows of what he speaks and I sometimes find a pearl of wisdom among his rantings. Sometimes.

Bottom line, it would probably behoove us to listen more closely to some of Dan's flights of fancy. Just try to exclude any thoughts of some of his more objectionable personal traits and concentrate on the info, 'cause some of it is mighty good.
I hate to say anything good about Dan but the truth is still the truth, Joe

IP Logged

wildbill
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
JD,
   I had no idea anyone would be in disagreement with Dan. I must admit I am not much of an original thinker when it comes to reloading and ballistics. I'm one of those who reads voraciously and tests the theories of others as it would apply to what I am trying to accomplish. Over the years I have read a great amount of articles by numerous rifle cranks that proclaim the one true way, the guiding light, the answer to all mysteries of marksmanship. The one thing I have found is, yes, there is some pearl of wisdom there that works for me. I will probably never completely dismiss someones ideas. That being said, I have dismissed quite a few theories and practices that just don't pan out for me. I will admit that firing a 38-55 at Creedmore ranges would be a challenge. But that is a challenge that I will probably not take up, for all practical purposes.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
You guys are mixing metaphors and matches.

Dan's attempt to get the .35-40 Maynard approved for BPCR Silhouette was denied.  It was NOT part of the Creedmoor issue at the time.   

Rumor has it that he scored high Paper Patch shooter at the America Cup Creedmoor Match in AZ last week.  Still waiting confirmation.

Like Joe, I find Dan to be extremely difficult to deal with, but his ideas bear alot of merit - they also bear a very strong resemblance to historical bullet designs.   

I believe Dan was probably shooting a .38-70 or .38-72 at AZ, but again, I cannot verify that.   

Brent

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Dan's attempt to get the .35-40 Maynard approved for BPCR Silhouette was denied.  It was NOT part of the Creedmoor issue at the time.  
Brent

Actually I believe Dan's attempt was for the fabled but so-far elusive 35-50 Maynard cartridge, the one that James Grant tried to research (largely unsuccessfully) for ~ 40 years or more. The NRA Silhouette Committee initially ruled against the cartridge because of cloudy provenance issues as well as Dan's well-known propensity for 'testing' the rules envelope, but then reversed themselves later. I heard that several 'reputable' Maynard 'collectors' had written to support Dan's claims but I take the 'reputable' part with a grain of salt for a number of reasons.

IMO the 35-50 Maynard cartridge (the particular version that Dan reverse-engineered) is probably one of the better BPCRS gamer cartridges available. But that doesn't make it authentic. However, the NRA has ruled that it's now a righteous BPCR cartridge for Silhouette if not for Long Range.
FWIW, Joe

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Ah, I think you are probably right - as usual.  Brent

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint