Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Interesting post from WSU site. (Read 16866 times)
frederick
Ex Member

Interesting post from WSU site.
Jan 25th, 2008 at 7:29am
Print Post  
This is part of a posting from the Wyoming Schuetzen Union Forum.

Fred

Center Shot 61 by Steve Garbe 

In this installment of the Center Shot I would like to talk about a subject that has been “simmering” for a couple of years. It involves the definition of a “Schuetzen” match. 
The Schuetzen style of shooting has always been an offhand discipline. That being said, I know that there were some matches, mostly in the German communities in Texas, where the rules allowed the rifle to be rested while the shooter stood in an upright position. I think we could agree that these matches were the exception and not the rule. Generally speaking, both in Europe and America, Schuetzen shooting was a strictly offhand affair. 
So why do we now have bench rest matches incorporated into the aggregate on almost all our Schuetzen matches? The answer that I have received from most “old-timers” was that when the Coors matches started back in the 1980’s, bench matches were thought to be necessary in order to attract a sufficient number of contestants. It seems that bench shooting has also been part of the ASSRA’s shooting programs although they are generally not referred to as specifically “Schuetzen” matches. Members of both associations have assured me that bench shooting was necessary to insure participation. And, both the International Single Shot Association and the American Single Shot Rifle Association do not have the word “Schuetzen” in their names. 
I don’t think that anyone could argue against the statement that rest shooting and offhand shooting are two distinctly different disciplines. Go to any Schuetzen match and look at the difference between the benchrest and offhand rifles. Serious competitors have a completely different rifle for each discipline. The problem that I see is, historically, Schuetzen means “offhand”; and if we are to pay attention to history, we need to keep it “offhand”. When a competitor wins an overall aggregate in today’s Schuetzen matches he may not have been the best offhand shot…he may simply have turned in the best bench score and good, but not the best, offhand score. If there are several excellent offhand shooters present at a match, many times the winner is decided by the benchrest score. I think that this is in contradiction to the historical definition of a Schuetzen match. It has often been said that offhand shooting tests the man and benchrest shooting tests the rifle. Anyone who has competed in both matches will tell you that offhand and benchrest shooting are drastically different and require their own set of abilities. 
This is not to say that there weren’t rest matches in the old days. Quite to the contrary, there were many organizations that were focused strictly on benchrest shooting. The National Rifle Club, the Nypano Rifle Club and the Jamestown Rifle Club were but a few of the organizations whose main interest was in rest rifle shooting. Rest rifle shooting, in many different guises- turkey shoots, chunk rifle shooting, double rest matches- were uniquely American shooting sports and as such, a big part of our shooting heritage. Many present-day black powder shooters have not the slightest clue about the old rest rifle matches and shooters. Hopefully, through the efforts of individuals associated with the National Rifle Club, that will change. 

With the resurrection of the National Rifle Club and it’s focus on rest rifle shooting, it begs the question that the Wyoming Schuetzen Union should become truly a “Schuetzen” organization. In several phone meetings with the Schuetzen Board of the Wyoming Schuetzen Union the decision was reached to focus the Wyoming Schuetzen Union on offhand shooting in its sanctioned competition. Pat Bowland, Schuetzenmeister for the Bitterroot Schuetzen Society has also informed me that the Montana State Schuetzen Championship for 2008 may be a strictly offhand match. The National Rifle Club will host the benchrest competition that has in the past been associated with the WSU Wyoming State Championship and will award NRC Wyoming State Championship medals. Combining offhand and benchrest scores to determine an overall Schuetzen winner will be a thing of the past at Cody. The National Rifle Club will be the sanctioning body for benchrest matches at the National Championships at Raton, New Mexico as well. 
In conversations with the principals of the National Rifle Club, it was decided that the addition of an “Open Class” to the NRC rules would serve the function of providing for a venue under which our current bench rest rifles could be shot. The NRC’s “Traditional Class” will still adhere to their “pre-December 31, 1900” technology cut-off. However, the new Open Class will allow equipment, sights, powder and single shot rifles produced after that date. The “any plain-base lead bullet” rule will be common to both classes, as well as the definition of “Time Rules” when they are used in a match. 
As I said, this issue is one that has been brought up frequently over the years and I think that the Wyoming Schuetzen Union is leading the way on returning Schuetzen matches to what they were originally- a test of marksmanship from the offhand position. I’m well aware that other single shot rifle organizations will probably not agree w

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Interesting post from WSU site.
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 10:25am
Print Post  
With all due respect, the word "schuetzen" simply means "shooting" in the Germanic languages, and the Schuetzenfest actually began back when people were shooting arrows!  I have no problem with folks who want to have offhand matches, or benchrest matches, or black powder only matches, or even crossbow matches, but if you are going to use Historical Precedent as your argument in favor of your particular desired match, you need to be aware that the schuetzenfest has always been a developing, evolving entity which reflected the technology and attitude of the time.   Cool

If you wish to preserve a "Golden Age of Schuetzen" along the lines of the charter of ASSRA, you will be using BP, duplex or pure smokeless, you will allow bolt action rifles of some types,  Shocked  and if you really want to do it German style, you will serve a lot of good food and beer before, during, and after the events.  You could put the "fest" back in schuetzenfest.   Roll Eyes

The foregoing is of course JMHO, but I believe it to be historically and philosophically accurate!  Wink

Charlie Shaeff
the Green Frog

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 11:21am
Print Post  
I agree that there should not be an aggregate of offhand and bench rest scores. This idea was started at the Coors matches and harkens back to how the NMLRA holds matches. I think you will find that in the old days , like the ASSRA, they kept offhand and bench rest separate. I am thinking of the shooters at Walnut Hill where rest matches were a big part of their program.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Good food and beer before, during, and after a match?  Where do I sign up!  (unfortunately, alcohol is barred from our local range... understandably so...).

I'll bet those ARROW shooters were shooting STANDING UP!!!

I'm partial to off-hand shooting of single shots, but like Mr Frog, I say; whatever fills out your base band... do it.

(But benchrest shooters are weenies!  Neener neener!!!!  Wink  )

Paul F.

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Paul - is that weenies or "winners" - ha - just couldn't resist - you have a good day now - I just might be a weenie though - freezing here in Indiana - thinking seriously of moving to TN. - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Could be winners... could also be whiners  Cheesy

(in all seriousness... whatever floats a persons boat is fine with me... just never been attracted to benchrest competition... I DO enjoy poking a bit of fun at the Benchrest sports now and then. They're just so SERIOUS all the time!  Wink

Paul F.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Have shot a fair amount of "Schuetzen' out of the country were it's mostly Air Rifles and Beer all offhand. With most clubs it's more about singing the old songs than shooting although some of the guys are pretty good.  Found I can't shoot well when drinking, probably a good thing.

While I only shoot offhand can see we need bench rest to keep the sport alive though. Few offhand shooters on the East Coast in Schuetzen.  A whole lot of them in NRA rules Silhouette and some very good.  I am glad the Wyoming shooters have such an offhand following and wish them well.  Wish there was more offhand Schuetzen competition east of the Mississippi.

It is sort of unfair to agg offhand and bench they are totaly different One of our very good shooters seems to me to always suffer at the Coors due to his bench scores. He does not own a bench rifle and never shoots bench. If it was scored offhand separate he may have won some of those matches.

Boats

IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
What are you going to do when you get some age on your bone and can hold up or be competitve any more? Undecided Just dry up and blow away! Huh
When all I shoot was offhand I thought benchrest was a weanie sport too! Tongue
But when I got into benchrest I found other it "WAS NOT AS EASY AS IT LOOKS"  ShockedI ate my humble pie! Sad
If you think Benchrest is so easy give it a try and get educated fast! Kiss
I don`t buy that a bench shooter will win the all round Agg! I think the good offhand shooter will! Wink

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #8 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
I agree with Jim on bench-offhand aggs. You have to be a pretty good offhand shot, no matter how good you are on the bench, or you're just out of the game! A mediocre offhand shot drops so many points on that leg, that he can't possibly make it up on the bench leg.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Heck, I never said, nor never meant to IMPLY, that I thought benchrest was EASY!
It's a challenging and highly technical sport of its own!

I just enjoy position shooting and the more PHYSICAL challenge MORE.

I'm sure one day when my already creaky lower back won't let me shoot off-hand any more, I'll probalby take up Benchrest shooting and find the enjoyment in it.
Right now, it's just a chore with less entertainment value than picking the rifle up and shooting on my hind legs. (and by the way, I do NOT claim to very GOOD at shooting standing... just enjoying it more than bench).

I have the utmost respect for those talented (and hard working) benchrest shooters...
The fun pokes I take at 'em should be taken in good fun (a habit I picked up here locally.. )

So when I say "Benchrest is for weenies", y'all bench guys are supposed to say something like "yeah, well at least we don't waste an acre of paper on OUR targets!".

Cool

Paul F.

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Been there done that. You can lose the match from either side, bench or offhand. I agree that it is easier to have a good offhand shooter come out on top, but a bad bench can sure kill you. There are ussually allot higher precent of lost points. They say in position smallbore, prone won't win you a match but it sure can lose you one.

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
My first love in shooting is offhand but I also enjoy shooting BR with my friends, actually I"m probably a better BR shooter than offhand, I'll just have to live with that fact. I also don't like the AGG matches because of the lack of participation, at a match with twenty shooters your lucky to get four offhand shooters--at Etna Green we have a 80 shot agg match in the fall--we don't get enough shooters to pay for the nice metals.  I am finally convinced most shooter's do not want to shoot offhand, some of us older guys are really not able physically to shoot offhand but some are just not interested in offhand shooting.    leadball

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #12 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
"They're just so SERIOUS all the time! "

Hey Paul F, you've obviously never watched ME shoot benchrest.  Frogs don't have a single serious bone anywhere in their little amphibian bodies!  Grin Grin Grin

Then again, if you want to see serious, you should see me sweating trying to get a few shots to actually score on an offhand target.  That's serious (or at least intense.)  I'm MUCH more relaxed sitting down!

Froggie

IP Logged

stevens52

Reply #13 - Jan 26th, 2008 at 12:27am
Print Post  
If you want to see "frogspire" watch him at the end of the day when he's hungry and tired and the "meister" insists that the last relay will end when he finishes his Hudson!  hehehe it WAS good entertainment.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #14 - Jan 26th, 2008 at 12:33am
Print Post  
In the aggregate, the best offhand shooters will win the agg.  Who cares as long as we get to shoot and be with our friends. And enemy's. 
If your having a bad day you can always shoot someone's wind flag. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint