Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Interesting observation on Stevens 44 1/2 barrels (Read 11815 times)
moshannon

Interesting observation on Stevens 44 1/2 barrels
Jan 23rd, 2008 at 8:01am
Print Post  
I don't have a large subject set to draw from, but was suprized to find that a #1 barrel was actually wider across the flats at the breech than both of my #2 barrels (probably a mis-marking). Other observations on the three 44 1/2 barrels I have as follows:

1 - .25 Stevens rimfire, 24", #2, SN 12,xxx
    width at receiver - 0.968"
    address - J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co.
                 Chicopee Falls, Mass. U.S.A.

This rifles receiver has the same stamping on the left side of the receiver as the .22 lr barrel I have listed second. I haven't ever seen a 44 1/2 with a stamping on the receiver similar to this. I believe that some of the later 417's and 418's had this.

2 - .22 long rifle, 30", #1, SN 11,xxx
    width at receiver - 1.066"
    address - Trademark
                    Stevens
           Reg. U.S. Pat. Off. & FGN

3 - .28-30-120 Stevens, 30", #2, SN 4xxx
    width at receiver - 0.991"
    address - J. Stevens A & T Co.
       Chicopee Falls, Mass. U.S.A. Pat Apr 17, 94

Interesting how fast changes were made over the short production period of these rifles.

ASSRA & NRA

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Re: Interesting observation on Stevens 44 1/2 barr
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Hi Moshannon...it's always nice to receive good first hand information regarding the Stevens line of single shot rifles.  In your posting you are talking about your collection of Model # 44 1/2's, but I just want to point out that your attached image is of a Stevens Model # 44 rifle.  I guess you already knew that.  Is there more.....  Thanks, Webb    Smiley

IP Logged

moshannon

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Webb,

Actually it is a 44 1/2. The extra screw that is for a feature that Stevens used in some of the rimfire rifles. They developed an "automatic extractor", that actually ejects the spent shell by a rather strange means. 

The automatic extractor is similar to the normal 6 o'clock extractor, except there is a shelf which has a protruding "nub" on it that hangs up on the extra screw. When this nub passes the point of no longer hanging up, due to force generated by the lever, the extractor snaps free, ejecting the shell. Actually, it's pretty foolproof. The rifle in the photo was set up for this ejector, but apparently never had the corresponding extractor inserted, a normal extractor #ed to the gun is in its place.

I just got this #47, it too has the same mechanism and works like a charm.

Mike

ASSRA & NRA

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Hi Mike....so there was more!!  Being a student of the Stevens single shot rifles, I'm relying on that "additonal" screw around which the swinging block (breech) of the Model 44 rotates down and away from the barrel chamber in order to differentiate between the #44 swinging block and the Model 44 1/2 falling block.  This is the first time I've encountered a Model 44 1/2 with that screw which, from your image, appears to be located in the same location as would be the #44 block pivot screw.  Additionally, your image shows a screw which appears to be the same diameter as the #44 block pivot screw.

I'm glad to have had the opportunity to hear back from you with the explaination that you provided.  It would appear at this juncture, at least until I learn more about this extractor that you discribe, that you have a somewhat rare "copy" of the Model 44 1/2 rimfire.  I'm wondering if that makes your copy more or less valuable from a financial standpoint over like models without that designed extractor.  Thanks, Webb

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
This Stevens experimental extractor is somewhat rare, I've seen maybe six total in twenty-five years. I've never seen this extractor mentioned in any book etc.  Paul Shuttleworth informed me of these models years-ago. There are very easily mistaken for a 44 Stevens action.   leadball

IP Logged

moshannon

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
If I get a chance tonight, I will take a photo of the extractor. This is a diagram of one from Wisners. I think it is a little out of scale though. The one in my 47 is longer if I am recalling correctly.

Mike

ASSRA & NRA

IP Logged

Tar_Baby
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
the extra screw is the screw that makes my 44 1/2 cost more Smiley

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Hi Mike:  Thanks for the diagram...that cleared things up nicely for me.  I am quite familiar with what you have on your Model 44 1/2 rimfire.  What is not shown on the diagram is the coil spring which is in a hole behind the plunger.  I would call this piece an "ejector" instead of an extractor, since the spring action forces the plunger against the socalled extra bolt and upon opening the action the plunger "cams" over the bolt and "snaps" the case rim lever back and actually ejects the spent casing rather that just moving it rearward as a true extractor would do.  I have the same ejector on several Model 1915 Stevens Favorites in .22 Cal rimfire.

Mike, this has been a really good posting for and about people who are interested in the often times obsure J. Stevens Tool and Firearms Co, and I for one have learned something new and worthwhile today.  I hope you find the ASSRA Forum as interesting (for the most part) as I have.  Best, Webb

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #8 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
My 44.5 also has the extra screw in the frame. Mine is a 25-20ss and the barrel numbers match the frame numbers. I can't say if it once had a mate BB and barrel. When CPA had it to do some work I asked if it was normal on a centerfire or if it added any value or was rare or anything. They told me not realy on all accounts. Cry. I have wondered how many are out there with the "extra" screw that are not .22's. Probably another case of Steven's using what was on hand.
That is a VERY nice rifle BTW!
Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

moshannon

Reply #9 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 7:36am
Print Post  
Webb,

That's the one, the 44 1/2 version is a little longer and not quite the width of the Favorite's. Funny thing with the one pictured, I don't see a retainer screw/pin for the plunger. Must be a really tight fit, rough machine marks must hide it? I don't see how it could have been final machined with the plunger and spring in place and then CC hardened. Hopefully it will function for another 100 yrs without any trouble.

Merwin,

Thanks, she is pretty. I was very pleasantly suprised when I went to pick it up. It is the one I questioned about filling an obscenely large dovetail in the barrel. The bore is great, the color is about 95%, wood has some wear to the finish but nothing to bother with. I also got a 28-30 barrel that is about an 1/8 of a turn from indexing in it, so close but yet so far. The extra barrel doesn't look to have been on a gun. Probably paid too much, but it's also probably the best I'll ever be able to afford.

Mike

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) extractor.JPG (Attachment deleted)

ASSRA & NRA

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 9:04am
Print Post  
Hi Mike,  earlier in this conversation you mentioned the business firm "Wisners", which as you know is located on the West coast.  I've purchased replacement Stevens parts from Mr. Wisner and the particular ejector part that we have been discussing is fabricated in such a fashion that the coil spring is first inserted into the round hole, followed by the plunger piece on top of the spring which compresses the spring.  Next the plunger is "staked" by means of a center punch which upsets the metal at the top of the hole enough to create an obstruction which retains the plunger down against the coil spring tension.   

My understanding is that Stevens original parts, i.e., the ejector, was fabricated with a cross pin in place to retain the plunger.  Are you able to determine which meathod was used to retain the plunger under spring tension in the ejector on your particular rifle?

Webb

IP Logged

moshannon

Reply #11 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 9:20am
Print Post  
I took a look at the enlarged photo I posted, I don't have the extractor along with me at work. There appears to be a cross pin between/left of the 5 and the dark spot above it. I didn't see it before. It must have been fit, peened over and then filed flush, the file marks cover the part lines.

Mike

ASSRA & NRA

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Very nice Mike! Great info too. I've never seen a 44 1/2 with that extra screw or the spring loaded ejector! 
I've always differentiated the two models by the sharp drop in the receiver of a 44, vs. the higher sidewall, and curved profile of the 44 1/2.  There's so much more breechblock showin on a 44 vs. a 44 1/2.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2008 at 9:46pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Say, Vall & Mike, what's all them extra triggers for? Ya'll find em laying on the floor where ya work or sumthin? Waz ya'll born with extry finger? I ain't never seen nuthin' like that down here in Virginia!!! moodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

moshannon

Reply #14 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
They say two heads are better than one..... Wink

Mike

ASSRA & NRA

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint