Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Remington Hepburn Questions.... (Read 24924 times)
tbird1960
Senior Forum Member

He shoulda armed himself.

Re: Remington Hepburn Questions....
Reply #15 - Feb 17th, 2008 at 10:23am
Print Post  
What is BACO? Don't mean to sound stupid but I am not familiar with this term.

NRA Patron, Whittington Center Founders Club, Life Member TSRA, Life Member HGCA Distinguished Rifleman Badge #783

IP Logged

DaleHDeal
Participating Member

Reply #16 - Feb 17th, 2008 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Sorry, I buy a lot of stuff from them and should not have assumed.

Buffalo Arms Company.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #17 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 2:33am
Print Post  
Bob Gordon and his Hepburn . Oregon , early 90's.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

DaleHDeal
Participating Member

Reply #18 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 6:55am
Print Post  
The one I purchased from Dave Crossno.  I really love the stock profile.  I had looked at two others (and wished I could have bought them too) but it was Dave's butt stock shape that made the difference.  
Sorry the photo is so large.  It is either too small or too big.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 7:26am
Print Post  
Kurt_701 wrote on Feb 17th, 2008 at 12:23am:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

These people offer a detachable cheek rest ( Pad).  I use one to get scope height on a Highwall.

I have not shot a Hepburn but do shoot a rolling block. The roller has a LOT of drop built in - that is the height of the bore above the comb - and the Hepburn looks like it may have even more. I have to use a scope and even a 3/4" riser does not allow ME to get a good cheek weld at 300-400 yds. beyond that I would not even have my face in contact with the stock. I realize the scope is going to be higher than a tang sight but I do believe this issue is something one needs to consider. I also admire Hepburns, and still do, but have concluded they are not practical for me due to the drop issue.
I contacted Treebone about a high comb stock for the RB and was told the best they could do is provide a blank carved in the grip area and fitted to the tangs, leaving the rest as a block to be carved to fit my needs. I have not pursued the idea because as yet I have not been able to visualize how to make the thing with a high enough comb without it being UGLY. 

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 10:26am
Print Post  
DonH,
Call dave Crossno re a stock for your Roller. He has several different patterns. Go to his site and check out the Roller in "fit and finish" section. That gun has a Creedmoor stock, it should serve your purpose. Also, anything you might want to know about Rollers, he's the guy that can answer all your questions, he's been building Rollers for many years. By the way, he built that Roller on a beater #5 action. Treebone only cuts stocks, but Dave has many more patterns and actually installs stocks & builds guns.

IP Logged

wwben47
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Like many of you, I at first thought the Hepburn was..ugly. But there IS something about the look of it that grows on you.  If this question has been asked I apologize..Has anyone had any experience with the cast actions being sold by Upper Missouri Trading Post? Also how often can one find an original action that doesnt require a second mortgage? Thanks
Wes

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
I have 2 friends that got the "deluxe" kit. They both struggled with them and only one actually got finished. They both claimed that these require a lot of work and patience. In one case the holes were incorrectly drilled (for lower tang) and required a lot of work to fix. 
Based on their experiences, finding an action is the way to go. Actions turn up from time to time and the prices are generally outlandish. Just keep looking and maybe you'll get lucky, otherwise you can start working on that second mortgage application....

IP Logged

wwben47
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Thanks 40-82..thats exactly what I needed to know..My mechanical skills are even less impressive than my carpentry skills..and thats saying something...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint