Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Info sources on Stevens rifles (Read 2281 times)
txhunter

Info sources on Stevens rifles
Jan 20th, 2008 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Are there any good books on the Stevens rifles (44, 44 1/2, Walnut Hill, etc.) or very knowledgable people? I know from reading this forum that some of you seem to know quite a bit.  Looking for info like what is the difference between the 44's and a Walnut Hill. How to tell age of the rifle (if possible, by serial number or other markings).

Brad&&&&Come to the dark side..........We have cookies

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Info sources on Stevens rifles
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
TXhunter,

As far as I know, there is no one book on Stevens rifles.   Bill West's Stevens and Savage lists the models of both brands (sort of fitting, as Savage bought out Stevens) with some history of each model.  Similarly, all of Grant's books (Single Shot Rifles, More Single Shot Rifles, Still More Single Shot Rifles, Boys' Single Shot Rifles and Single Shot Rifles Finale) all have a section on the Stevens line.  Frank De Haas' Single Shot Rifles and Actions discusses the mechanical differences of the 44 and 44-1/2 actions.  There are also magazine articles by JVK Wagar and Allyn Tedmon that originally appeared in the American Rifleman that get reprinted from time to time in current magazines.  Articles by people like John Dutcher on Stevens models and variations show up sometimes in specialty gun collection magazines like Man At Arms.

Stevens rifles didn't "Win the West" or anything, so there hasn't been any discrete book out on them.  You have to research around the subject, which, of course, adds to the fun Wink.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Info sources on Stevens rifles
Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2008 at 1:50am
Print Post  
Savage & Stevens Arms by Jay Kimmel coppyright 1990. This is the 4th edition. I think there is a 5th edition currently available. Saw one on Ebay recently.  Savage andStevens Arms & History by Bill West. First edition was 1971. As far as I know it is out of print. This is the best one I have found. A History & Digest of The J. Stevens Arms and Tool Company, by Harold E. Strong. Coppyright 1993. I bought a signed copy from the author in 1993 at the Belleville Ill. gunshow. Have not seen a copy since. It is interesting because much of it is from original old factory catalogs.  I Recommend all of the Frank De Hass books. I have collected a lot of old magazine articles. A lot of them are by De Hass. Cornell publications has a great selection of origial catalog reprints. The 44 1/2 has one less screw on the sideplate.Hope this helps. I am no expert, but I do know a little. Feel free to contact me if I can be of further help. My Email is slumlord44@hotmail.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint