Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Trip to CPA (Read 5042 times)
Ken41
Participating Member

The Trip to CPA
Jan 19th, 2008 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
I took the excellent suggestions of making a trip to visit CPA. I left on Thursday afternoon, stayed overnight in Bethlehem, and then drove on up to CPA. I had called the week before and talked to Paul, he said that he would be going on vacation and would not be there, but that Gail would, and that she could get me on the right course for ordering the rifle.

I arrived at CPA at 0930 and meant Gail, a very nice Lady. We talked and I tried a number of rifles for fit. The Pope Butt plate is definitely too small. The Pope Butt stock does look really nice, but I do not seem to fit into it. About 1/2 to 3/4 " of cheek piece would have to have been removed to get it to fit. I then tried another rifle. This one had a #52 butt stock with a single hook butt plate, and the length of pull was 12 3/4". It fit like a glove, so we ended up with the #52 with a pull of 13".
Next was the wood for the butt stock. I had planned on upgrading to the fancy wood, so Gail took me upstairs to pick out the blank. After looking for 20 or so minutes we took 3 blanks down stairs to look at. For another hundred, I decided to look at the extra fancy and picked one out. I had decided on 38-55 as I will be shooting black as well as smokeless. I ended up with a 30" #4 Badger barrel. That was the barrel that was installed on the rifle with the #52 stock and single hook butt plate, and the weight seemed fine. I have a C.Sharps High Wall in 45-90 with a heavy 32" barrel, and it does feel very nose heavy. I will start dry firing it for 10 or 15 minutes each night. I also decided on the Pope Lever. Gail had an original with the Pope Butt stock and Pope Lever. It gave a nice grip, and also looks good.

The picture is the rifle that fit me, with the exception of an added 1/4" pull. Now the wait begins, should be mid August.

Again, thanks to all that gave advice,

Ken
NRA Life
SW PA

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Re: The Trip to CPA
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
you won't be sorry - August will be here before you know it - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

matt_carter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
The rifle you ordered should make you very happy. I have several CPA's. My center fire offhand rifle is very close to what you've ordered. Paul and Gail are good folks, I always look forward to visiting with them each year in NM.
Shoot to Thrill, Matt

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
That's a beauty! Hard to believe a guy can get a custom built to your spec rifle for what CPA sells them for!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 12:27am
Print Post  
That won't make a very good Montana Gopher truck gun!! That sticking down handle and those hooks on the TG and butt will hang up on the springs when you toss it behind the seat in the pick-up!!!     Grin  Grin  Grin

Wow , nice!!! Beautiful!

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

drc

Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 8:24am
Print Post  
I too have gone over and visited Paul and Gail and we got to meet their respective families.  Absolutely wonderful folks. 

We have six of them in various calibers here at the house (I don't take mine apart) so that says something right there.

You are going to have a wonderful rifle.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Ken,
Very nice! I imagine they will set you up w/ bullet mould, etc? Enjoy!
Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Ken41;
             You done goood.  leadball

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Thats a nice outfit and exactly how my BP CPA Schuetzen in 38/55 is set up.  If you want to go all the way order out a rimfire barrel to go with it.   

Boats

IP Logged

38-55

Reply #9 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
 You might think hard about Boats suggestion of a 22 RF barrel, it would make a very nice outfitl.  Have shot a 38-55 quite a bit, with both black and smokeless.  It is a fine caliber in a fine rifle.

IP Logged

drc

Reply #10 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
I forgot to add as a suggestion, that you put teflon tape on the barrel threads. Will prevent metal on metal contact.

Starline is  now making correct length 38-55 brass. I had bought some of the Jamison brass, but the overall lenght varied an awful lot for being in the same batch, made me leary of other tolerances. So I returned it and bought Starline.

I bought mine from Buffalo Arms. 

dc

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint