Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Rarity of .32-40 Browning Low-wall? (Read 4214 times)
Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Rarity of .32-40 Browning Low-wall?
Jan 11th, 2008 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
After I mentioned that friend Martin had gotten a .32-40 low-wall Browning 1885, we started doing some research and neither of us can find any reference to this model ever coming in this caliber.  The barrel is marked Browning, etc, but there is no caliber marking on it(??)  It does indeed chamber a .32-40 nicely, although we have not fired it as yet.  I will slug the bore before we shoot a live round through it.

Anyway, does anybody else have any knowledge about this model in this caliber?  Is it some sort of anomoly, custom order, limited run or what?  Any and all information on the matter will be gratefully received.

Froggie

IP Logged

First_Shirt
Ex Member

Re: Rarity of .32-40 Browning Low-wall?
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Dave/Charlie,

One other possibility I can think of...someone had a smaller caliber (.223 or .30-30) re-bored/re-rifled.  It's fairly easy to strike off the old caliber marking and re-blue the barrel, leaving the original Browning rollmark.

Greg

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
OK, looking at the rifle again, there is a section of the barrel on the right upper flat (it's an octagon, fairly delicate looking, about a Win #2) that has a place in front of the Browning 1885 roll mark that is slightly depressed, as though someone ran an end mill along it for about 2" and just a few thousandths deep.  Is this where it is supposed to have the caliber mark?   

The breech end of the barrel where it enters the receiver face has that round section JD refers to as the tulip, so I don't think the barrel could have been set back.  When I took the fore end off, there was a flat bar attached to the face of the receiver that takes two screws for the wood.  There is some marking under the barrel where the bar covers it, but none of the markings or re-markings I have come to take for granted under Winchesters.

The finish of the barrel is a sort of matte as opposed to high gloss.  Is this standard for a 1995 vintage (from the serial number) low-wall? 

Thanks again for all helpful input!

Froggie

IP Logged

First_Shirt
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Charlie,

I just pulled my Browning 1885 .45-70 out of the cabinet, and sure enough, the caliber is stamped on the right oblique flat, in front of the Browning marking.  All the Browning 1885's I've seen and owned had a pretty glossy blue on the barrel and receiver (unless the receiver was case-colored).  I'd lay odds that it's a re-bore.

Greg

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Thanks, all.  I guess we will never know the history of this particular (gun show purchased) piece.  It will be fun to find out how it shoots.  I've ordered 100 rds ou unprimed Winchester brass from Buffalo Arms and Martin is probably casting up some bullets from a few of my favorite moulds as I type this.  Of course we plan on using moderate target-level loads of 4759 and fixed ammo (since breech seaters for a low-wall might prove a bit difficult.  Huh

The CSV crowd will surely get to see this oddity in action when we have our June match.  Just one more reason folks might want to put that date on their dance card!  Meanwhile, if any other info turns up, please let me know here or by PM.   Smiley

Regards,
Charlie the Frog

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2008 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Greenfrog,
There is a fellow that posts on the Shiloh site and on the MSNBPCR site that goes by the name of Texasmac.  He is writing a book about the Browning BPCR rifles and might be a good source to go to for information.  I recall Browning coming out with some pretty potent
(pressure wise) calibers in the low wall a few years back???  I don't know that I have ever seen one in 32-40 however.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2008 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Charlie,
If you make up on the 9th maybe you could bring it AND Martin along. I saw it on the table at that show but did not pick it up, I did admire it though! Chris C. is coming ,"down" for him, He may have some insight. He owns a couple brownings and has a keen eye for machine work.
Can't wait to see Martin shoot it!
Jon

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #7 - Jan 16th, 2008 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Martin and I talked about that this afternoon.  It looks like a "road trip" is in our future.  Cheesy  We also talked about getting to one of the other points of interest you mentioned, such as the CW Battlefield, or...   

BTW, we got a shipment today from Buffalo Arms containing 100 rounds of new unprimed Winchester brass in .32-40.  Martin has been sizing and lubing bullets to make up some fixed rounds and I have loaned him a variety of moulds to try.

With the price of gas and all, getting more than one event out of a single trip is a very important thing.  We'll be in touch.

Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint