Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Compare Design of Sharps 1875 vs. High Wall (Read 17996 times)
Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Compare Design of Sharps 1875 vs. High Wall
Reply #15 - Jan 13th, 2008 at 10:32am
Print Post  
If you're talking about the Model 75 made by the Sharps Rifle Company, only two made it to completion with only one known to be in existence.  (Sellers, ch.15)  Looking at a picture of it, it looks unlikely that it had a through stock bolt.  If Creedmoor is asking about the 1875 model made by C. Sharps in Montana, then it's possible that it does have the through stock bolt.  I've seen several but can't remember if it had tangs or not.  Either way, they don't hold a candle to an 85' highwall for ease of shooting or cleaning.  As far as strength goes, they are probably similar.  Highwalls are pretty easy on parts except for breaking of a firing pin or possibly a mainspring.  C. Sharps should have all parts available.  Bob

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jan 13th, 2008 at 10:40am
Print Post  
OK, here's one man's opinion, quick & dirty.

Sharps 1875 has a drawbolt, making it more rigid and theoretically more accurate.

Both plenty strong, much more than adequate

Winchester has greater extractor travel distance, making unloading easier

Winchester has some small camming action for an oversize cartridge, Sharps does not

Trigger pulls about equal, neither is the best; Winchester has the option of wide-spaced DSTs, Sharps does not; Winchester pull will change over time, Sharps will seldom change

Winchester hammer is lighter, making the lock time theoretically shorter and hammer fall lighter and thus theoretically more accurate

One man's opinion of the major salient points of comparison, regards, Joe

IP Logged

Clint
Participating Member

Reply #17 - Jan 13th, 2008 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Howdy from one of the the newbies on the block in Missouri!  I own both a C.Sharps Arms 1875 in .45-70 and a Winchester (new model) 1885 HW in .38-55, among other things.  I can tell you that when I am practicing my dry-firing with a snapcap in the chamber, the hammer fall of the much heavier 1875's hammer noticably pushes the muzzle down when holding offhand, compared to the much lighter 1885's hammer.  This is bound to have some effect when actually shooting.  I don't shoot competitively, so won't comment on what that might be.  
Don't misunderstand, I have great affection for, and enjoy both rifles very much, but there is definately that one difference between the two that is very apparent when you have both rifles right there side by side to compare and contrast.
Best regards.

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Thanks guys for all the relavent information and for your related experiences.  The initial question was concerning the 1875 Sharps (as presently made by C. Sharps) vs. the 1885 Winchester (as designed by Browning) made currently in Japan in the various B.P. cartridges circa 1890's - 1910.  My purchase decision involved the C. Sharps 1875 received ( which may be purchased individually ), to which I would add stock and barrel.  Or, the purchase of a new complete Winchester 1885 High Wall presently made in Japan as a linited edition and available through Davison and in a retail store near you!!!

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Here's my two cents worth,

I have two sharps rifles,both 1874 in 45-70, and one Uberti High wall ca 38-55.  I have fired way over 40,000 45-70s, the vast majority in the two sharps rifles, and the rest in a few trapdoors. Thats a lot of shooting, and there were some pretty good groups in there, and I am very satisfied with both Sharps rifles. HOWEVER: I can tell you from first hand experience that what you read about the weaknesses of the sharps (extractors and firing pin) is true. I have had to replace several extractors and a lot of firing pins. Both had the old stlye one piece firing pins and they are a pain in the butt to fit when you need a replacement. I eventually put a Pedersoli breechblock in and converted to the two piece firing pin., and have broken a few of those but they are easy to replace.  I have not fired the High wall enoug to testify as to its durability but the design of the HIgh Wall is light years ahead of the Sharps, a true genious at work!
I like them both a lot, but if I had to say which is the better design, its the High Wall.   On a related note, I have fired quite a few rounds through several trapdoors, and NEVER had a problem with any of them.  A very simple, effective and reliable design, and the original are all very well made.  When tuned for target shooting, can hold their own with the Sharps! Just my opinion, fwiw Joe S

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint