Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Uberti High Wall 38-55, Long brass? Or short? (Read 10065 times)
Paul_F.
Ex Member

Uberti High Wall 38-55, Long brass? Or short?
Jan 10th, 2008 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Been saving my pennies (and quarters, dimes, and nickles.. and the occasional actual piece of paper currency) for a Uberti .38-55 High Wall after being very favorably impressed with a .45-70 model of a local acquaintance.

I've run into a question, however, that I haven't been able to answer;

Does the Uberti .38-55 have a chamber cut for the "modern" spec 1.082" brass? Or the original spec 1.125" brass?

I called Buffalo Arms (planning to order one, but they're currently out of stock)...
They were very helpful with my questions about sight dovetail dimensions (we both got a laugh out of Uberti's description that it's a "metric 3/8" slot"...).
Unfortunately, they didn't know about the brass/chamber, and didn't have one handy to check.

Rich at Buffalo Arms even called Uberti...
THEY didn't know (though I suspect they just didn't understand the question...).

I SUSPECT that Uberti probably cut the chamber for the "modern" spec of 1.082"..

Does anyone have a .38-55 Uberti High Wall they load for that could confirm my suspicion?

At least them being out of stock gives me another paycheck to squirrel away money!
(and buy the dies, brass, mold, etc etc...)

Thanks in advance!
Paul F.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Uberti High Wall 38-55, Long brass? Or short?
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
I am currently field testing some of Starline's new brass in .38-55 for an article in the Journal.  We used the "long" brass in a Uberti high-wall without trimming it, so I would say the Italians are using the original, longer chamber dimension.  YMMV, but that's how it looks from here!  Cool

Froggie

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Excellent!  Just the brass I was hoping for (since I just happen to have some of Starline's "long" brass in my MidwayUSA online shopping cart...).

If nothing else, I can trim the long ones short if necessary, but "stretching" the short ones sounds like more work that would be entertaining...

Paul F.

IP Logged

drc

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 12:30am
Print Post  
If you can hold on a bit, Dick Trenk (Pedersoli's US rep) has reported that Pedersoli is going into production with a high wall. They will be obtaining frames from Uberti under their joint relationship (the Sharps Uberti sells are made by Pedersoli). They are supposed to be using their own barrels, set triggers and stocks. They are also reheatreating the frames. The rifles are/were supposed to be unveiled at the shot show.

dc

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 12:36am
Print Post  
Well that's darn interesting, and darn tempting!
But I'm not sure how long I can wait...  Smiley

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to see if they're available RIGHT AT Shot Show time...

Paul F.

IP Logged

Johnny B. Good
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 4:11am
Print Post  
Not "Nit Picking" but I think you mean 2.082 or 2.125 Smiley

I bought Winchester Brass for mine, not really sure how long they are but when I find my Calipers I will measure them and get back to you

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 9:25am
Print Post  
I made a Cerrosafe cast of my Uberti .38-55 chamber and determined that it is cut  for the longer brass.

Bill

IP Logged

drc

Reply #7 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 10:15am
Print Post  
This is the quote from Dick, along with a link over to the msn BPCR forum

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

"Just received a brief message today from the engineering office in Italy and I am pleased to be able to share this with BPCR people immediately.

"We are currently producing the first prototypes in the .38-55 and the .45-70 calibers. 
We will have to make extensive tests before to start with the regular production. 
We are working to have the samples ready to show at the next Shot Show in LV first week of February. 
We will be able to inform about first deliveries after the show. "

From prior conversations I know we plan to offer the 38-55 with 12:1 twist and a long chamber to properly utilize the 2.130" cases made available by Starline.  We will also offer 45-70 and 45-90 calibers along with various barrel weights and shapes.
This is ALL I know and I cannot answer any questions at this time.
After the Shot Show In Las Vegas I can post further information.
Dick T."

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Just a passing comment.  I assume the major interest for this project is for the BPCS crowd, but I can't help but wonder why they aren't going to make a DST .32-40 high-wall for the paper target (read  "schuetzen") crowd.  I guess we don't be buying enough rifles (or at least that would be the prediction) to inspire that variation.  I wonder why Winchester .32-40 brass keep selling out as fast as they run it?  Huh

Then again, you could get a new .32-40 barrel from Green Mtn and put it on in place of the .38-55.  They use the same extractor, etc, so the job would be very straightforward.

HMMMMM.  Undecided
Froggie

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Johnny B.;  Perfectly legitimate nit to pick!  Yes, I was short an inch on my numbers... Tongue

I'm interested in the .38-55 because I think it can fill two wants of mine... Schützen, and a local version of the Quigley Match.   
Having an italian high wall in .38-55 will let me shoot for a couple years while I gather my cash and my wits to build or buy a dedicated rifle for each sport if I choose to continue with both.

I just hope that the first boat load of those Pedersoli's arrives in early february, so some folks can look 'em over before I place my order..
It would be nice to have the choice between the Uberti (which I've already seen and been impressed by), and a Pedersoli (which the twist sounds better on compared to the longer twist of the Uberti .38-55).

As long as Pedersoli makes a pistol-grip and double or single set version!

Paul F.

IP Logged

mriisj assra Life

Reply #10 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Regarding the production time of pedersoli I have been informed by the factory that they will start mass production in this spring and hope to start to deliver in June, there will be no public sale at show in LV but the prototypes will be on display.

I would waite for the Pedersoli there barrels is to my belives much better than uberti which I have had problems with earlier.
Michael
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2008 at 12:32pm by mriisj assra Life »  
IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
THanks for the info!

*Sigh*
Five months... at best...

*Sigh*

Guess I'll have to keep trying to get my Aydt to shoot Smiley

Paul F.

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Sounds like deja vu all over again! I had to double check the date of this post because I swear we heard this last year about the Pedersoli High wall being unveiled at the shot show.  Joe S

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint