Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Help in ordering new CPA Schuetzen (Read 8980 times)
Ken41
Participating Member

Help in ordering new CPA Schuetzen
Jan 8th, 2008 at 4:43am
Print Post  
Hello,

This is my first post. Name is Ken Potter, I live in SW PA, age 66 and have been shooting since 1957. I am about to order a CPA Schuetzen and thought that I would ask if anyone might have any suggestions.
The caliber would be 32-40, Badger 28" barrel, Unertl scope bases, and
the Pope stock and buttplate. Not sure of barrel weight. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Ken

NRA Life
SW PA

IP Logged

rwjshooter
Ex Member

Re: Help in ordering new CPA Schuetzen
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Hi Ken
I too have a CPA, I have a no 3 barrel wt. which I find a little bit too heavy for offhand for my use, someone else may find it fine,  off the bench it is fine, I believe you will like your new rifle I do mine
Have a nice day
Ray

IP Logged

Jubilado

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Ray,

How heavy is that CPA that you find a bit too heavy for offhand?  I too am thinking about ordering a CPA, and that is a concern of mine as well.

Paul

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
One question is how large of a frame are you. I think the Pope butt plate is rather small for average and above persons and for bench it might be difficult. If I recall correctly a Scoyen is larger? Anyway, this is only a "find out more info" statement and I am also interested in others feedback here. 
Other issues are prefrerences for straight grips vs pistol, ball and spur vs four finger or Pope. Lots of options and length of pull.

Thanks,
Charles

GTalk  
IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
I would think that a lot of these questions are good ones for Gail or Paul at CPA. They should be able to tell you if the buttplate fits an average size guy OK and should be able to tell you the weight of the completed rifle with about any size barrel. 
Just for Info. In "the day" a 12 or 13 pound rifle was considered about right. That would mean a 4 weight barrel usually.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
As far as I can tell, only Winchester standardized the notion of 1, 2, 3, 4 weight barrels.  Some actual dimensions would seem to be a lot more in order, just to avoid confusion.   

My 1 1/8 to 1 1/16" tapered, round barrel (28" long) on a Borchard with Schoyen style stock and plate is pushing 15# in .38-55.   

If the CPA Schoyen is better for average and above sized men, I sure as heck would not want to squeeze into anything smaller....

Brent

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Ken41, the rest of the information needed to make useful comments about your question concerns the use to which you wish to put this rifle.  If you only plan to do formal Schuetzen-style shooting, the Pope or Schoyen style stocks are adapted well to this (if they fit your particular frame size, as previously noted.)  If you will be shooting off bags, plinking, hunting, or in short anything other than schuetzen, this specialized type of stock may not provide you with the most utility.  Perhaps a less radical shape might serve you better.  There was a pistol grip sporter (with or without) cheek rest) made by most contemporary rifle companies and with what was called the "small Swiss" buttplate it provided a good all-around service.

Froggie

IP Logged

moshannon

Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Ken,
Being from cental PA and also having a CPA 44 1/2 ("sillywet" rifle), I would encourage you to spend the gas money and take a day trip to visit Paul and Gail. For the money you are investing in a personalized gun, the cost of the trip is minimal. They usually have multiple rifles in various stages of finish and you might get a better "feel" as to what you want, and or don't. I visited them a couple of times and they are about as customer friendly as you will find.

Mike

ASSRA & NRA

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
And Paul & Gail can put a Ron Smith (RKS) gain twist barrel on that CPA 44 1/2 for you to make a really great rifle. I am also partial to the case colored actions and of course you can also get Paul to pick you out and fit some very nice extra fancy or exhibition wood too.

I concur the Shuttlworths provide very good service.

IP Logged

rwjshooter
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Jubilado wrote on Jan 8th, 2008 at 11:02am:
Ray,

How heavy is that CPA that you find a bit too heavy for offhand?  I too am thinking about ordering a CPA, and that is a concern of mine as well.

Paul

HI Jubilado 
my CPA goes 13.5 lbs. the stock is a model 52, with a one prone Schoyen butt plate, wood density would vary the weight a little also
Have a nice day 
Ray

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
I agree with everything these other CPA owners/shooters have said, one item that is not well known is that for a very small fee you can have any serial number that has not been used by CPA on your rifle, I have two of their fine rifles and have my initials and some numbers as the serial number on them - this for me makes it really a custom rifle. 

Finally go up and discuss your rifle with Paul and Gail, an extra unfinished butt stock is not very expensive when ordered with the rifle and provides alternate uses, just set up your visit with them in advance as they are not always available for visits/in-person orders  Wink
MIKE-T

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Ken41:
          The CPA- Pope Schuetzen is very easy to look at but is [IMO] a fairly radical design, it does not fit most shooters. My favorite is the #52 Schuetzen with the single prong buttplate. I would go with the #4 barrel, the #3 is lighter of course but does not "hang " it seems to move over the target more than the #4.  If you think you will ever shoot benchrest do yourself a favor and get a benchrest stock also, the CPA BR stock is a proven winner & looks great. What ever your choices of stock and barrel# you have chosen very good people to do business with, you will not be sorry .  hope to see you at New Philly, Ohio this summer.    leadball
PS- ken41   do you know its almost impossible to buy just one nice singleshot rifle

IP Logged

Bruce P

Reply #12 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Good advise is overflowing here.

That said I'll toss my comments in to the mix and really confuse you. I own 2 CPA's. They're great rifles. One is in the standard silhouette configuration which is fine for most applications. Offhand or Bench. My other one is a type #52 stock with Stevens 2 pronged buttplate .32-40, #3 weight, 30" barrel. Weight is about 11.75 lbs. If you are an average sized man I would not go smaller than this in weight. 

In offhand shooting, If the pace of your fire is quick heavier guns will fatigue you faster. Something to consider. 

Customer service is second to none! Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Bruce

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #13 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:
As far as I can tell, only Winchester standardized the notion of 1, 2, 3, 4 weight barrels.  Some actual dimensions would seem to be a lot more in order, just to avoid confusion.  

Brent

Brent,
All of my Stevens rifles have barrel weight numbers marked under the forearm, near the front. A #2 Stevens seems like the equal of a #3 Winchester on my guns.-Vall

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 9th, 2008 at 6:29am
Print Post  
Can only comment on offhand stocked rifles. My Pope style CPA has two # 4 barrels, one .22 rimfire the other 32/40.  To me It's just right for offhand, It weighs more than any rifle I have ever owned. Past a 12 lb Silouette rifle was the max.  With scope the CPA weighs in at about 14 lbs. I would not want it to be heavier but do think the weight improves my offhand hold.  Sometimes I will shoot a entire Hudson match in one day. It does wear you out. Lighter could probably be better but best of all would be to slow down and take two to three days to shoot the match keeping the rifle weight.

On offhand weight it's not so much total weight but how it hangs. The large Pope buttstock and prong plate need some barrel weight to compensate.  If the barrel was lighter I am not sure that butt would  be the one to have, Also consider Scope weight. Unertils and the like are heavy compared to a modern scope.  

For example my older CPA was origionaly BPCS stocked with a # 4 38/55 barrel. It was just right for that match which is 3/4 prone but for the chicken bank offhand I thought it was muzzle heavy. Or perhaps did not have enough buttplate to compensate for the barrel weight.  Switched it's buttstock to a Stevens 52 style with prong plate and it's a different rifle. Weight is about the same but hang is right for offhand now.

When Paul set the Pope style rifle up for me I took his advice completly.  I have other offhand rifles but none as extreme in stock and style as that high comb.  You have to get used to the positon, it can only be held one way.  I say that's good for scoring.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint