Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Peabodys (Read 11951 times)
38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Peabodys
Reply #15 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
No, Gert, you've got it all wrong!  It needs to be in the T. Rex thumping 5.75mm Velo Dog cartridge!   Grin  If Doug's action had been a Brit rather than a Francotte, it could be a 297/230 Morris Extra Long...  Roll Eyes

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Well, it IS a british francotte - after all, it was retailed by Jeffery's.  The only problem wit the Morris would be finding the round back when dropped on the loading trough...

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Quote:

You done flung a CRAVIN' on me! Oops - my true nature came out.

I  hope the craving is for Jeffrey's and not 577 Snider...in one test I did with this rifle after slugging the bore and using groove diameter bullets I was able to get 2 hits out of 20 round at 100 meters vs 1 hit out of 20 at 50 meters. I said hits, on a 1 meter square target board.  Hum maybe the reason I got more hits at the longer range was the bullets were starting to stablize!!!  Grin   

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 7:26am
Print Post  
Here in the UK, a lot of people shoot Sniders. With the correct load, they are very accurate.
For longer ranges, a solid bullet of groove diameter is preferred. I only shoot at distances up to 200yds and I used the same Lee modern minie bullet that I use in my muzzle loading Enfield, with the same 55grn 2fg charge. The difference is that the hollow base was filled with grease and a thick card over-powder wad was used. No dies, the case was simply re-capped, powder and wad added and the bullet pushed down on to the wad with my thumb. Accuracy was superb: but I confess that this was not a military Snider but a hunting rifle made for the African trade by Rigbys. Other people in my club use the same technique with military Sniders but the Rigby, now in the hands of a friend of mine, always wins.
Fred.

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 7:39am
Print Post  
I  hope the craving is for Jeffrey's and not 577 Snider...in one test I did with this rifle after slugging the bore and using groove diameter bullets I was able to get 2 hits out of 20 round at 100 meters vs 1 hit out of 20 at 50 meters. I said hits, on a 1 meter square target board.  Hum maybe the reason I got more hits at the longer range was the bullets were starting to stablize!!!  Grin  

[/quote]

Well as the saying goes, there's no accounting for taste. So i confess; the Snider chambering tipped me over the edge. You gents have  experience with the Snider round and I am just starting and I may be  delusional. Some rifles just refuse to  shoot acccurately but i believe most can be coaxed to produce at least a modicum of accuracy - at least for their intended purpose. Some are like fickle women and require more wooing than others. Ross Seyfried wrote in DOUBLE GUN JOURNAL of a Snider chambered double which defied every effort until loaded with hardened round balls! To most such guns are probably more trouble than they are worth. At least it can be fun to read of someone else's masochism.

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Roundball, huh, Makes sense here.  two groove. shallow slow twist. We haven't tried it yet?

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint