Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Winchester Single Shot (Read 3207 times)
podufa

Winchester Single Shot
Dec 31st, 2007 at 10:46am
Print Post  
I have a signle shot Winchester high wall that is rather puzzeling . It is a 4 digit serial number with schuetzen double set triggers . I suspect the lower tang must have been replaced but it is the old style numbers . Campbell says they didn't renumber a lower tang when it was replaced but I don't see how the original tang could be made to take schuetzen triggers. Any ideas on this?

IP Logged

red_stevens
Ex Member

Re: Winchester Single Shot
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2007 at 10:59am
Print Post  
I have one which was changed from a standard single trigger to DST.  Its tough to tell but if you look closely you should be able to see where the new slot was cut for the rear trigger.  I believe Campbell, I cannot remember which volume, says this was done at the factory and often there are initials stamped into the tang by the gunsmith who did the work.   
Of course, gunsmiths like HM Pope or Schoyen etc... could have done this as well.  Mine are so well done that it looks an original and I believe the parts are original Winchester parts.  There are letters stamped into the tang but they are not legible to me.  There is also an assembly number on the tang.
Maybe some of our more knowledgable and experienced Winchester collectors can add more info than I can.
Red

IP Logged

podufa

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2007 at 11:35am
Print Post  
I think it must be a different tang . The patent date is in a different place and the screw for the trigger spring is in a different place.

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2007 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Podufa, about 20 years ago a Rifle showed up at our club. It was a Schuetzen model with Helm stock and Bicycle Handle Palm Rest. The Serial number was the early Scroll type of stamp. The Double Set Triggers were the wide spaced version. But! heres the Hook.  The Set Triggers were a in an inserted block in the lower tang. Now they appeared to be Factory work as the Case hardened finish although worn was in good appearance and the colors although faded were continous over the lower tang and the inserted block. The block contained everything needed, both triggers, the adjusting screw, and the kicker spring for the rear trigger and the set trigger spring just as the reguler set trigger tangs had. Functioned good. The rifle was in 32-40 caliber and had a #4 full octagon barrel with the top flat Matted. A truly beautiful rifle and shot as good as it looked. A number of us examined it closely and the owner did remove the buttstock so we could examine the inside of the lower tang. It was stamped on the side with an assembly number that was also stamped in the lower tang slot in the stock. The set trigger block was held in place with two dowel pins that went right across the lower tang and the finish on the end appeared to go along with the rest of the lower tang. We all felt that this was all factory and wondered if it was one of Winchesters early efforts at set triggers. HTH, Regards, FITZ Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2007 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
ssdave, your Rifle is as it should be. Just prior to ww2 a freind of mine who has now passed aquired a really nice Pistol Grip, Double Set Trigger color cased action. He contacted Winchester and inquired if they would rebarrel it in .22 Hornet. They replied yes and quoted a price. He delivered the action and a couple of weeks later got a card saying his barreled action was done with the price. He went to the factory to pick it up and was stunned when he was handed a freshly blued barreled action but with his correct serial numbers. When he objected as he wanted it to stay color cased amd raised heck. The custom shop supervisor showed up and explained that the rules they operated under required that any Winchester product that came into the factory for work had to meet the latest standard that the the product had been manufactured to. The last version of the Highwall was an approriate heat treat and rockwell test and then Blued finish. The supervisor informed him that if he had requested the Case hardened finsh be kept as is they would have had to refuse the job. So he requested and got a letter on Winchester letter head describing the work and the serial number and the date of the refinish to factory standards. HTH, Regards, FITZ Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

podufa

Reply #5 - Jan 1st, 2008 at 8:13am
Print Post  
I suspect mine was done before proof marks, also I think mine was rebarreled , the writing on the barrel does not have the dashes at the start and end . The upper right tang has some marks , hard to see old age and cataracts , I think 2       17.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint