Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Tang sight for Uberti High Wall (Read 20313 times)
Johnny B. Good
Ex Member

Re: Tang sight for Uberti High Wall
Reply #15 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 2:29am
Print Post  
westerner, it's a Uberti, the flash makes the butstock look lighter than the fore-end but they are pretty well matched, original Winchesters are like Hen's Teeth here in Scotland Smiley

Joe, I bought a Uberti Tang Vernier when I first got  this rifle, then bought the MVA 108 along with a Beech combination front sight, need I say more? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #16 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 4:19am
Print Post  
JBG, 

that's a handsome hiwall you have.  There is just something about the line's .  Doesnt matter who made it, it has those line's.   Smiley

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
It looks like I have the rear sight resolved, the MVA is a great sight and should have enough windage for the 100 and 200 yd shooting that i will be doing with this rifle, so I will not need windage on the front sight. I am considering a Lyman 17A for the front mainly because I can get  a large set of aperture insers for it.  To my knowledge, the Winchester style front sights are only available with a limited number of aperture inserts (the one with the round hole, rather than the assortment of crosshairs, etc, ).  If anyone knows of a source for Winchester  aperture inserts please  let me know. Thanks! Joe S

IP Logged

Johnny B. Good
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jan 5th, 2008 at 4:37am
Print Post  
Got a Rolling Block ordered in 45/70, reckon I'll transfer the MVA #108 to it and get an MVA Sporting Tang for the Uberti, probably put a Beech combination on the RB too Smiley

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Jan 5th, 2008 at 7:00am
Print Post  
gents.
i went through this with a friend and a bp uberti.
the hole spacing is different, and the angle of the tang is different so the damn thing wont focus. gee maybe partly because they are metric????
I cannot remember who the company is but we ended up having the people who made the sights for browning make a new base and get things right I will look later today and see if I can find my notes.
cheers
irish

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Jan 5th, 2008 at 8:25am
Print Post  
  For clarification, I have an MVA base for the Uberti High wall which has the correct hole spacing. the spring that holds the staff upright is adjustable for the correct angle. The mounting screws that MVA sent were not the correct size and thread but we are in the process of getting that fixed, so now I have a very nice MVA tang sight with windage and Hadley eyecup which I can use on the Sharps and Uberti High wall. I am now in the process of deciding what to do about a front sight. Since I am only going to be shooting 200 yds and have windage on the tang sight, I do not need windage on the front sight, but I do want a spirit level.  I would like to get a Winchester front sight but I want a good selection of round apertures and I am not aware of a source for extra Winchester apertures.   My other option appears to be a Lee Shave Lyman 17a with spirit  level, for which a  large selection of apertures is readily available.  If anyone knows of a source for Winchester apertures, I would appreciate the information. Thanks! Joe S

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #21 - Jan 5th, 2008 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Joe S, somebody (hst, IIRC?) has mentioned a sight guy that makes custom inserts for the old-style sights.  Maybe that person could help you.  There is a version of the old Winchester globe sight that uses a retainer clip for the inserts that also holds a level.  I have seen these for sale as repro units and the clip as a replacement.  I do know that the MVA clip is a good fit on the original globe sight body as I am currently using that combination myself, but I have not tried to get the clip with level from them.

Another possibility since you don't need windage is to go with the Lyman #17 or #77.  Lee Shaver offer(ed) a conversion of these that has the level added, and of course there have been a world of inserts made for that popular sight design.

froggie

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Thanks Froggie! The more I analyze the options, the Lyman17A with spirit level seems to be the best choice., but I dont have to make a decision till March so I am keeping a lookout for other options.  I do have a question about the Lyman 17a sights, I noticed they come in several differnt heights, what is the purpose of elevating the front sight? It would seem to me that the higher up you go with it the more critical it is to not cant the rifle. What is the purpose of making the front sight to high? Thanks! Joe S

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 11:49am
Print Post  
The Lyman 17A series of sights was introduced in 1929, when almost all competition was with bolt action rifles.  The different heights were needed to match up to both light barrel contours and heavy barrels on bolt guns.  Also, a centerfire rifle would place the receiver sight higher in relation to the bore than most rimfires.    When it comes to single shots, some folks prefer a higher line of sight to match as close as possible to scope height to keep their face position on the stock consistent.  Take a look at the sight height calculator on the Brownells website at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links); For use with a tang sight, figure the top of the receiver plus at least .312" to clear any scope blocks on the barrel as the rear sight height.

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint