Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ruger Number 1 for founding members of ASSRA (Read 11959 times)
tburkhardt
Ex Member

Ruger Number 1 for founding members of ASSRA
Dec 29th, 2007 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Hello everyone.  Im a new member.  My father and I recently hunted bison in Nebraska.  I used one of my dads number ones.  My father purchased it in Tulsa at their anual gun show a few years ago as just an action.  He put a barrel that was chambered in 300 weatherby on it and had wood to put on it.  The neat thing about this gun is that it was one of 100 that were given to the first 100 founding members of ASSRA.  This one is number 54 of 100.  Thats all I know about it and was looking to ask around if anyone else can shed some light on the history of these guns?  Here is a picture of the gun after I shot the bison (the date is off, it was shot december 6th of this year.)

Thanks
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2007 at 4:54pm by »  

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Re: Ruger Number 1 for founding members of ASSRA
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
there are those that know more about them than I but it is my understanding that they were not "given" but that Bill Ruger did arrange for the special run of "100" and they were purchased with I believe the Life Members given the first opportunity to buy - come on some of you long time members chime in and please correct me if I am wrong - the rimfire - cdpersons
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2007 at 4:50pm by »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
I can't see any picture??????????

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

tburkhardt
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Ok so I biffed on the adding the photo the first time.  It's on here now.  Anyone else have any info on this particular rifle?

Todd

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Basically I can just echo what my friend the rimfire said, Bill Ruger made an agreement with the members of ASSRA (which I believe he was one) to make a run of 100 specially marked and numbered receivers.  There was a special roll mark for ASSRA and a number in addition to the regular serial number.   These were sold as unbarreled receivers in the white to ASSRA members only.  They show up on rare occasions for sale, sometimes as rifles, sometimes still as sold.  I will say they don't seem to stay around long, but I haven't really kept up with prices.  That's abput all I can say with any level of confidence, so I hope that it will be of some use to you.

Green frog

IP Logged

tburkhardt
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Green_frog,

Do you know when they were run?  My dad said that he thinks the number 1's were first made avail in 1967.  He was not sure when these in particular were produced.  The price (or value) of this gun is of no concern to me as I have taken my fathers train of though = guns dont eat many meals after you buy them, you may as well keep them around for the youngsters =

He gave this gun to me upon shooting my buffalo and I was just wondering what the history was about it.  BTW, he also shot a buffalo with a number 1 in 405.  It is stainless with a laminated stock.  Two of a many number 1's and even number 3's that he has.....along with rollingblocks, two highwalls, a trapdoor, etc, etc.... He is a single shot man through and through...and its gaining on me as well.  Like father like son I guess.

Thanks for the info thus far, please anyone else that may know some history about these guns let me know so when I pass it along to my son I can let him know about it.

Todd

IP Logged

tburkhardt
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Green_frog,

When you say in the white, do you mean that they were sold un-blued originally?

Thanks,
Todd

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Yes in the white I just sold one to a fellow in Calif. Whitey

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
I don't know if anyone in the ASSRA even has a record of who the rifles originally went to.  So I don't know if it is even possible to tell you who the first owner of your rifle was.  When those rifles were originally available was before my joining the ASSRA so I do not know the year that they were made available.  I know that we have some fellows that lurk here occasionally that can probably answer some of these questions - we may have to give them a few days. - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

tburkhardt
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 30th, 2007 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Whitey,

What number was the action you sold, if you recall?

Thanks to everyone who has offered up info about these guns.

Todd

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 30th, 2007 at 12:52am
Print Post  
If I rember right it was 51. Whitey

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Dec 30th, 2007 at 7:27am
Print Post  
Actions were shipped, unblued/" in the white", in standard Ruger pistol boxes.  there were 100 made of the special ASSRA actions marked "ASSRA, xx of 100".  I have been researching them in hopes of gathering enough information for an article later this year.
From what I understand so far, initially Life Members were offered first pick of the serial number that matched their membership number.  at some point the remaining unsold ones were offered to the membership at large.  At a slightly later  date one member purchased all of the still unsold few that were left.
It is my understanding that this was the only time Ruger sold bare #1 actions only.  they did of course sell barreled actions.
As you have found occasionally they do pop up for sale.  In the past 4 or 5 years I have seen one of two "on the tables" at the Etna Green matches.  Some have been made up into sporting rifles. A few have been made into highly ornate ASSRA-type target rifles.  A number of members who bought them have simply packed them away in their gunsafes for future use.
  One has to remember the context, at that time the Ruger was a relatively new modernistic action and they did not have a reputation for gilt-edged accuracy because of the barrel/hanger  and heavy hammer issues. Additionally a lot of the originals were still around and relatively affordably so devoting the time effort and money to building up a schuetzen on the #1 that would compete with a more traditional schuetzen was unlikely

In terms of value, It would be what ever a willing buyer/seller agree on.  On the open non-ASSRA market an ASSRA marked action would probably simply be a mild curiosity beyond whatever the quality and calibre present as a custom rifle.  In the wider world they are basically unknown.  Within the ASSRA community a sporter would probably command a bit higher premium than a standard #1--again depending on quality and calibre.  A schuetzenized version would be more valuable--ditto.
A this point the number probably does not matter a whole lot. 

The Archives does have a confidential list of the original purchasers.  Naturally, for owners security reasons, the whole list is not public.  I think though that if you are the current owner of an ASSRA marked #1 and addressed the matter with Rudi he could probably provide you with the name of the original purchaser--again JMHO

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Dec 31st, 2007 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
DWS;

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Dec 31st, 2007 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
DWS, I think the same deal was made with the Cast Bullet Association. There might be some cross over there if you want to research it.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Dec 31st, 2007 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Anybody ever seen CBA marked #1's?   that'd be interesting!   thanks for the tip

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint