Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Suppressors for Single Shots (Read 8425 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Suppressors for Single Shots
Dec 26th, 2007 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Was on the other side of town last week and stopped in a obscure gun shop.  Had heard the guy that owned it was a "nut"  Sure enough it was stocked with AK's and other gun show merchandise but he was a pretty nice guy.

He had a full display of Suppressors and knew a lot about them.  He was also familiar with Schuetzens although I don't know from were.  Took me into the backroom range and shot a couple of pistols that were  suppressed.   Rimfires you can hardly hear and even 9mm's were very quiet.   

You could put one on a Schuetzen for indoor shooting without much problem.  In my basement I have 10 meters easy and a few feet shy of 50 feet but don't shoot firearms because of the noise.  the backstop is safe for firearms.  I had tied CB longs and the accucary was not up to snuff so only shoot Air rifles

He speculated a 9mm pistol silencer would be right for a 32 Schuetzen if loaded sub sonic and also work well if you put it on a .22 rimfire. They were all threaded with a 1/2 inch shank and fit up to an adaptor on the barrel.  What I did not know is the Federal 200 dollar tax stamp is pretty easy to get. Couple of weeks  process and it taxes and licenses the suppressor only. If you use it on several barrels you only need one tax stamp. Of course the suppressor itself is not cheap.

Anybody ever try this ?  I have been on a path to baffle and silence the range somehow and it would be a whole lot easier to baffle the rifle instead.

Boats

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Re: Suppressors for Single Shots
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
It has always struck me as odd that, in a country with far more liberal attitudes to firearms than ours in the UK, silencers (suppressors) are almost unknown except in films, where they are always more effective than in real life.
Most .22 rifles used for hunting in the UK are suppressed. If you want something like a .223 or similar for fox control, the police are likely to insist that a suppressor is fitted. For really effective noise control. the bullet must be sub-sonic.
On target ranges, the situation is reversed--you will very seldom see any form of silencer. 
Fred.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
I've owned and fired a couple of old guns that were suppressed. One was a Remington #4 Rolling Block that appeared to be done long ago, or possibly factory? 
The other I still own, which is a 1893 Marlin Special Lightweight in .32-40, factory threaded for a Maxim suppressor. Haven't got the original suppressor, but a friend has a legal one that fits, and we tried it out at the range. Definitely quiets the slow .32-40 down.
The key to a suppressor is not to push it fast! The crack of breaking the sound barrier will never be quieted by the suppressor, so use sub sonic ammo.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
FWIW, I have looked into a range silencer for my own backyard.  Has anyone done this?  I have not actually tried it yet, but I'm curious if anyone has any direct experience

Brent

PS.  Is that $200 permit an annual tax or a one time thing?

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
the tax is a one time thing - but silencers are caliber specific if you want them to be effective.  one of the reasons as I understand it they are not used on target guns is the really good ones have a series of "wipers" that either actually touch the bullet as it passes through the silencer or come within a "frog hair" of touching and periodically need replacement.
which means to maintain top accuracy a silencer would not only need to be caliber specific but also gun specific.  the fact that they need replacement would lead me to believe that the "wear" is either being caused by the projectile or erroded by the hot gases or both. - you all have a good day now - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 10:41pm
Print Post  

My original thought was to silence my indoor range with some sort of baffled box to shoot through.  No idea of how long or how big it would have to be.  If you shot through a baffled box it would have to be positioned right for each shooter or position.  That is a 6 foot shooter probably could not use the same one as a 5 foot shooter or someone shooting prone or sitting. The design is so problematical I just keep shooting my airgun.

Brent on outdoor ranges.  I do recall Charlie Dells shooting house being pretty quiet when approached from behind or the side and it had no special insulation or baffles. Our clubs high power silhouette range has sound curtains hung on 3 sides of the shooting house and are pretty effective too.

As said the bullet has to be sub sonic to be quiet. The two pistols I saw shot the other day put out some noise from the slides cycling and open breech on recoil. Something single shots would not do. The guy at the gun shop speculated that a 9 mm silencer would be effective on a 32 and 22 as well. I don't know if he has direct experence however. I would think it is caliber specific to be truly effective

The tax stamp as explained to me is one time and per suppressor.  In the 30's when it was first applied 200 dollars was a lot of money. It's not much today.

I doubt if I am going to spring for the tax and suppressor and particulary don't want one hanging off my traditonal Schuetzen rifle unless I set up a barrel just for indoors, It could be a .22 short which would be viable for home indoor ranges. Barrel tax and suppressor would be over a thousand dollars.

Boats
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2007 at 10:48pm by boats »  

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
as recently as about 30 years ago a full auto or a silencer would cost you less than the price of the tax stamp - far from it today - we are talking in the thousands of dollars for a good silencer or class III weapon.  a friend  of mine recently purchased a M16 - I don't know the exact price that he paid but I do know that it was over $10,000.
- the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
The price of Class III weapons (ie, machineguns) has gotten so inflated because NO NEW ones can be made and put into civilian hands as of 1986. Only "pre-'86" full auto's can be acquired via a civilian tax stamp.

Supressors, on the other hand, can still be new-made and sold to civilians (with the appropriate tax stamp and whatever local laws for your area).

Supressors are still fairly reasonable, and can even be home-shop made WITH the appropriate ATFE permission.  (Do NOT try it without!  ATF has NO sense of humor for honest gun folks "just experimenting" with supressors...  I don't know any gun afficionado with a lathe that hasn't THOUGHT about how easy a supressor would be... but 25 years in "Club Fed" is a powerful deterrent for me...).

If I didn't live in "no supressors for anybody except hollywood" California, I'd DEFINITELY have acquired one or two by now.

God I want this end of the Peoples Republic to secede to Oregon!

I think a single shot with a supressor would be cool... 
In fact, I just got a book for christmas;  The Winchester Single Shot, Volume II, that has some pictures and drawings of a high wall (or low wall... I forget) with a supressor. 

Paul F.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2007 at 7:51am
Print Post  
I recall someone telling me about a backyard range suppressor made from a series of tires bolted together with fiberglass insulation stuffed inside. Said it would effectively muffle a 30-06.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 27th, 2007 at 8:43am
Print Post  
boats;
              I built one of those suppressors Jeff mentioned, the plan"s were from the magazine writer Rick Jamesion. I modified the plans some, I used three plastic barrels with 13" tires , lots of holes thru the tires. It worked but was very heavy and hard to move. A small hole is cut in the end to shoot thru. My suppressor went down the Ohio River in a flood, figure some guy down in Kentucky "wondering what this is"      -----leadball

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Dec 27th, 2007 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
There was one shown recently at the Leverguns.com forum. A guy built one from a plastic 55 gal drum, using plywood baffles, with fiberglass packing in between the baffles. According to the poster it really works. The hole in the center was not anywhere near close to the barrel, as it must have been 6" square.
I went over there and finally found the post. Here's the link:

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 10:51am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Dec 27th, 2007 at 11:50pm:
There was one shown recently at the Leverguns.com forum. A guy built one from a plastic 55 gal drum, using plywood baffles, with fiberglass packing in between the baffles. According to the poster it really works. The hole in the center was not anywhere near close to the barrel, as it must have been 6" square.
I went over there and finally found the post. Here's the link:

That might work well, but it would be a real b****rd to lug about in the field. lol.

The only valid reason I have ever seen for a sound supressor on a rifle in the outdoors, is when you have a 'stand' on a field full of Rabbits. You can get a good number before the rest catch on and disappear. Here in the UK the only sound supressor that is legal is for a .22 rimfire, and you have to have a permit for it.

Harry

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Boats;
>>> I do recall Charlie Dells shooting house being pretty quiet when approached from behind or the side and it had no special insulation or baffles.<<<

Actually, if you'll remember, Charlie shot through a small opening into a small "Ante-room" that acted just like an expansion chamber before it exited the building. THAT is why his rifle shot "quiet".

Dale53

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Twenty five or so years ago Merrill Martin described to me the "suppressor" he used in his basement range as an eight foot long box, about two feet on each side, lined with egg crate type foam, set up so that he could shoot handguns or subsonic rifles offhand through it.  As I recall, he said it was hinged on one side to get access to it for cleanout of any unburned/partially burned powder.

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #14 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
To add to what Dale53 said, the anteroom was simply studs and outer wall boards, BUT it had insulation between the studs.  Now THAT suppressor would be very effective, but accrrying it around in the field would have been a bother!  Of course the rail gun wouldn't have been much fun to tote, either.  Roll Eyes

Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint