Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Rules Question (Read 2727 times)
Bruce P

Rules Question
Dec 22nd, 2007 at 8:08am
Print Post  
I recently received a copy of the ASSRA Rule book.

I've got a question regarding equipment.

Under section 1.0 which defines a single shot rifle as being "breech loading." The language seems simple enough to understand, but I have to ask.

Are muzzleloading rifles barred from competition? Example a Steven's .32-40, 44 1/2 fitted with a false muzzle? I have to think that this would be allowed. 

If so, how about a muzzleloading cap lock rifle? This would be barred correct?

Bruce

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Re: Rules Question
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2007 at 9:01am
Print Post  
bruce;
         I don't speak for the Schuetzen Meister but, IMO you are correct, the cap-lock would not be legal.     leadball

IP Logged

Doug_Nelson

Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2007 at 11:30am
Print Post  
I remember this question coming up a few years back-- maybe on the old shooters.com schuetzen forum.  It was discussed at length, and as I recall, with some heat.  One schuetzen meister held that the rules were clear, and that cap-locks were illegal.  Another held that the rules were not clear, and that cap-locks were permitted.  I don't recall the latter's reasoning, unless it was something like 
1) Black powder is permitted. 
2) Loading from the muzzle is permitted. 
3) The rules therefore contradict themselves, and it's up to the schuetzen meister to decide.

By the way, I don't have a copy of the rule book, and while I believe that 1 and 2 are true, I don't know it for a fact.

For my part, I would like to see muzzle loaders permitted.  I suppose that breech loaders are slightly safer -- they can be rendered 100% safe within seconds by removing the primed case -- but I think that the edge is more theoretical than practical.  The percussion cap can be removed just as fast from a cap-lock, and when was the last time anyone saw an uncapped cap-lock fire?  Maybe it has happened, but I don't understand how.

Oh well, I will be content to use my breech loaders in competition, but it would be nice to put my muzzle loaders back on the line occasionally.   

Doug

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2007 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Just to add my $.02, the original intent of the ASSRA patriarchs when they started the association 50+ years ago was to provide a venue for the use of cartridge type rifles. Then as now, the folks at the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association provided this for the front stuffers; and the ASSRA folks initially were a sort of branch from that organization.  Ever since then, there have been formal and informal events where both muzzle loaders (cap or flint) would complete against cartridge fed rifles, just not as part of the regular ASSRA events.  You are correct in assuming that a muzzle loading only rifle would not be eligible at say, a Schoyen match at Etna Green any more than you could use a high-wall on the regular line at Friendship.

Meanwhile, the breech-muzzle loader which is based on a cartridge rifle and involves only the bullet being inserted from the muzzle (and an otherwise complete cartridge inserted at the breech) should be legal as church on Sunday.  I am speaking on both of these from memory and experience, but I believe I am correct within current ASSRA and NMLRA rules.

Regards,
Green Frog

PS  Remember too that for a local match (regardless of affiliation or lack thereof) the match program can specify about anything the organizers of that match deem desirable for that match.  A lot of muzzle loader vs breech loader challenges were shot during the "Golden Age" and much later.  GF

IP Logged

Doug_Nelson

Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2007 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
GF, thanks for clearing that up.  I didn't realize that there was any sort of association-- even tenuous-- between ASSRA and NMLRA.   

Doug

IP Logged

Bruce P

Reply #5 - Dec 23rd, 2007 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Thanks all,

Seems as though you've confirmed my thoughts on the issue.

Bruce

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint