Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Single shot 12 ga action (Read 9517 times)
Quisto56
Ex Member

Single shot 12 ga action
Dec 14th, 2007 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
is there a single shot action that will chamber a 12 ga  and have room to safely handle the pressures of shooting a slug   was thinking of making a 12 slug gun and using a falling bloch like a highwall type action  or would a rolling block hold this big of brass    any ideas would be greatly appreciated

IP Logged

Tar_Baby
Ex Member

Re: Single shot 12 ga action
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
ww greener GP martini shot gun will do it.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
FYI, a high-wall action has to be altered (slightly) to accept a 20 ga shell.  I believe that action should be elimintated from consideration if you want a 12 ga.   

I know Remington rollers have been used to make shotguns in the past, but I honestly can't remember whether they are big enough to make a 12 ga or not.  Strength would not be an issue with the Win or the Rem, but I believe size might well be.

I would tend to go with tar baby's suggestion to use a Greener Martini action.  This one has a tried and true record as a 12 ga.

Froggie

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Didn't Remington make a roller in 12ga.?

I've seen one, but it's been 3 decades or more ago.

But beyond that let me raise the question - are the pressures that slugs in 12ga's any different than the pressures shot is loaded?

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

13Echo
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
The Swedes made a lot of shotguns on rolling block actions some of which were specifically made to be shotgun actions.  Try this url for Simpson's::

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);

There are shotguns from 28 to 12 guage there.

Jerry Liles

IP Logged

Quisto56
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
if the rolling block will work at 45,000 psi will iy work at that with that big of case or would it need to be much smaller to work at that pressure. I dont think the 12 ga would run even half that much

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
I once owned a Rem Rolling Block in 16 gauge. It was an all original Roller. This was back when these were not collector items. I earned mine cleaning out a 100 ft long hen house two floors. Winchester  did make 16 Gauge Hiwalls also. I believe the issue was this was the biggest shell that would pass thru an  unmodified action. HTH Regards,
FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

Quisto56
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
what about some of the lesser known actions like the cole or redfield  would they work

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #8 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
FITZ, the reason I don't have a shotgun barrel  on my takedown high-wall is that the rounded portion of the feeding passage was too small to allow passage of the 20 ga rim without alteration.  I had the original barrel to use, but couldn't bring myself to grind on that longsuffering action!  Undecided I can't see how a 16 ga could possibly pass through an unaltered action.   Huh

Anyway, it seems like a waste of a good high-wall RIFLE action to make a clumsy shaped SHOTGUN out of it.  Roll Eyes  JMHO, of course.

Froggie

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
A Greener Martini Shotgun action will work.  A Martini Henry might not.

In the early 1920's Greener altered the geometry of their Martini action specifically to accept 12 guage shotgun rounds.

Check with  John Appleton, he always has a couple of those guns around. 

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Quisto56
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
was looking for something with a hammer Actually I had planned to use a brass case 3 1/2 inches long loaded with  a slug and shot through a rifled barrel souped up 12 ga slug gun but with the class of a big falling or rolling block action

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Trapdoors were made in 20 Gauge.  They could have a large enough action to take larger but guessing if the Arsenal could have they would have.

It does seem to be a waste of a good single shot action though. Lots of good reasons for a good slug gun but why not just keep it on a shotgun break open action ?  How about a Thompson Center action ?

Boats

IP Logged

PeterM
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 4:05am
Print Post  
SAAMI Max Working Pressure for a 12ga today is 11,500 psi.  The service load of a shotgun in 1906 was about 8,000 psi.

There were literally hundreds of models of American made single shot shotguns produced from about 1890 to 1930.   Almost every maker had them.  These bicycle guns were very light, break action, most with a simple hammer.  They are called bicycle guns because most of the gun companies were also producing bicycles or parts for them, at the time.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

You will not be safe using commercially loaded ammunition.  Most shotgun ammunition today is loaded to properly cycle a semi-auto, so they keep the working pressures on the high side.   

The other issue is that these were not trap guns, but light utility guns that were cheaply made.   You will need a shoulder made out of granite to fire more than a few rounds with one of these guns.  With the properly tuned hand loads, you should be just fine. 

Pete

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #13 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
I've seen original Rem Rollers in 20 ga. and 16 ga., but never in 12 ga. I'd be concerened about how much metal would be left after opening it up that large. Even with the lower pressures.

IP Logged

Swede

Reply #14 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 5:20am
Print Post  

The gun in the middle is a Huskvarna Rolling Block in caliber 12, they were factorymade in large numbers here in Sweden actually a bit into early 1900.
This one has 65mm chamber, but i would not shoot hot modern slug loads in it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint