Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Journal Nov/Dec 2007, cover photo (Read 10148 times)
Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Journal Nov/Dec 2007, cover photo
Reply #15 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
BP, just as an FYI, at most of the ASSRA matches that I have attended, from local ones like Chinquapin and Asheville to the Nationals at Etna Green, the sight of a contemporary shooting coat/jacket is pretty rare...most dress is pretty casual.  On the other hand no one is likely to condemn you if that is the way you want to shoot.

As far as the "old days," those guys would frequently shoot in three piece suits, complete with cravat and derby hat or straw skimmer.  Sometimes you would also see them wearing a shooting apron over that outfit.  My dear friend and mentor Charlie Dell would get into his version of that get-up from time to time, but I tend to go for an "old days lite" version, consisting of collarless shirt and vest with either my machinist's hat or a derby.  So you see, the choice is pretty open.  Oh yeah, don't forget the ever popular Bermuda shorts and T-shirt look.  Some of those matches are held in pretty hot weather!   Wink

Froggie

IP Logged

frederick
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
We look forward for you joining us in this most sophisticated and historic form of shooting.

fred

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 9:49am
Print Post  
There is a school of thought that you shoot better offhand without a coat.  Tubb wears one but it's not strapped down tight.  He advocates the stickly pad for your buttplate, that's all.  With our Schuetzens and hook plates probably no reason for the pad.   

The best offhand shooters today are shooting NRA rules silouette and not using shooting coats. Vest with pads are pretty universal though

Boats

IP Logged

Black_Prince
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Yep Boats, you are exactly right.  NRA is making a great effort to keep the silhouette shooting game traditional and not let it go to an equipment race that has screwed up so many other shooting games.  I applaud that effort and also ASSRA's attempt to keep this sport as traditional as it can be kept. It's another reason to NOT wear shooting jackets in schultzen matches as far as I am concerned.

No problem if others are allowed to do it and all the best to those who do.  It just isn't something that I am going to do. I like the way Bob is standing there in that cover photo.  The ole boy has class!
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2007 at 7:38pm by »  

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #19 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
BTW, that cover shot makes Bob look more distinguished than he really is!  He's just a good ole boy that likes to build guns and shoot them (and of course he does both very well.)  He is pragmatic about his shooting and builds guns that are in the spirit of the old schuetzen stylings, but is not afraid to branch out and try some new tricks as well, as witnessed by the stock and butt plate of his rifle.  He's definitely a man to watch.  Wink

A bit more about the picture.  It was taken by my friend and pistol shooting buddy Martin Miller.  He attended both of the "new" Chinquapin matches we have held at Brushy Mtn Club and has now gone out and bought a new .32-40 Winchester 'wall.  From seeing his pistol shooting abilities and what I know about him as a friend, I expect we'll be hearing things from him on the INside of the Journal in addition to hopefully seeing more of his fine photography...in addition, he took the CSV group shot also seen in the new Journal.  Now if we can just come up with some colorful screen name for him to use on this forum... Cheesy

Froggie

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #20 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Charlie,
who will take the pics next year if Martin is shooting? BTW, good thing that club photo is in Black and WHite, It's a scary bunch that way, can't imagine it in color!!
Merwin

Martins pics are very good, I have glossed over both discs several times, I think you can learn a lot about schuetzen just from his photos!

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #21 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 9:03am
Print Post  
Never fear, M-B.  I plan (and hope) that there will still be photographic record of each of out CVS matches even if it has to be a group effort between several of us.  There are several of us that take digital photos, so hopefully we can meld them onto a single disc for each participant.  It adds so much to the experience (and my failing memory  Wink) to have that photographic record of the event.  See you soon!

Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint