Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) are Trapdoors a good rifle to start with-? (Read 7561 times)
bavarialand
Ex Member

are Trapdoors a good rifle to start with-?
Nov 14th, 2007 at 11:39am
Print Post  
are the Springfield Trapdoor rifles a good rifle for a single shot shooter-?

thanks, Dave

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Re: are Trapdoors a good rifle to start with-?
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Depends on what you have in mind in shooting organizations. If you are thinking of the ASSRA matches, you probably could make a better selection. Your rifle would be legal in most of our matches but I would think that a .45-70 would be uncomfortable to shoot over the run of a day or twos shooting. You are most welcome to join us a try it if you like. That will give you the opportunity to see what everyone else is doing and maybe give you a few ideas.
If you are looking for a fun gun to shoot, especially at rocks on the side of yonder hill or something like that, the trapdoor might be a good choice.
I think there is also a special catagory for such rifles in the Quigley match shot out in Montana.
Hope that helps.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
To start with?  I would say no, because of oversize bores, experimentation needed to get it shooting (alloys, granulations, crimp,...)  Getting a trapdoor to shoot does require some previous knowledge of BP shooting.  They can be made to shoot accurately, but usually require quite a bit of tinkering.  So no - not a good starter rifle.

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
I almost forgot. Here is a great web site for learning more about how to make your trapdoor shoot good.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

13Echo
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
A good starter rifle?  It depends on what your experience is and what you want the rifle for.  If you are willing to experiment a little and aren't looking for a target rifle, I'd say yes.  A good shootable rifle can be had for less than a new one and they can be made to shoot with decent accuracy.  To get one shooting, though, usually requires casting your own bullets from soft lead at about .460".  I have two and they're my favorite just go out and make smoke rifles.  They are accurate with black powder (about 2" at 100yds for the 1884), cause no end of comment at the range, and they carry the aura of history with them.  They are suitable for black powder silhouette and hunting and some types of target shooting.  Next to my Dad's shotgun they are my most prized firearms and I have some fine weapons.

Jerry Liles

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Everything said is correct.  If you want to try a Trapdoor get Wolf's book which is the bible on Trapdoor shooting.

I have had serveral and still have a Trapdoor that's one of my favorate rifles. They are not Schuetzens or BPC rifles.  Trapdoors do best when shooting against other Military rifles.  Good short range hunting rifles too.  Get a good one and figure out how to make it shoot and the lessons learned will stand you well if you switch to a pure target rifle.  Not to mention if you buy a good one you won't loose if re-selling later.

Boats

IP Logged

bavarialand
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 11:08am
Print Post  
thanks folks, lots of good advice.

i guess i should have been more precise in my question.

i want a B.P. cartridge single shot rifle for hunting, plinking, and just fun to shoot.
i do not know if i will enter compitition, but maybe some day.

so the Trapdoor sounds about right, as Sharps are just to exspensive for every day run of the mill shooting.

thanks again.

Dave

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Dave, 

With the description you added, I would indeed say that as a "fun gun" the trapdoor would be a good economical way to go.  The availability of repair and upgrade parts is still pretty good and they certainly have enough of a following that support and info exchange would be readily available.  I have been thinking of building one myself as soon as I get through some of the other projects that are hanging fire.  If you aren't determined to have a collectible example, you should be able to pick up a very nice shooter quite reasonably.  Have a ball, but watch out, single shots are addictive!  Shocked

Froggie

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Dave;
One thing you want to keep in mind. Trapdoors are lightweight rifles. If you shoot them bunch they will beat you to death. They are "usable" if you use a good "Past" or other shoulder mounted recoil pad:

Finding a good one is not easy. I suggest you buy Wolf's book FIRST as there is lots of information on picking as well as shooting this historical rifle (hysterical rifle if you don't use a "Past" 'pad Grin). 

Have fun!!
Dale53

IP Logged

13Echo
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Go to this site and check out the catalog section:

There are some potentially good shooters there for sale and Dr Frasca doesn't sell junk.  If you buy a rifle from him it will be exactly as advertised.  As for loading for the rifles, it isn't hard, just different.  Do get Wolf's book as suggested.  It's a rather idiosyncratic rambler but all the info you need is there and it is the best single resource for learning about shooting these rifles there is.   

Jerry Liles

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
What Jerry said. Clarence the Collector has known Al Frasca for years and speaks very highly of him.

The 1888 rod-bayonet model is perhaps the best choice, at least IMO. The rifles usually haven't been used that much and most still have very good bores, they all have the desireable Buffington rear peep sight, and the bayonet latching mechanism adds about a pound of extra steel out on the end of the stock where it will dampen some of the recoil. I've owned several and liked them all.

BTW the Quigley was won one year with a trapdoor sporter, and a borrowed one at that!
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

bavarialand
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 10:51am
Print Post  
wow, thanks for all the info.
i am know of the "trapdoorcollector.com" site, but most of the rifles there are out of my price range due to they are collectors items. i have been looking on auctionarms.com and gunbroker.com to see what is out there and at what price. from what i have seen i should be able to find a nice one for around $600 - $800. range.

i have thought of making a custom one from parts. i saw a post on here while surfing and it was of a trapdoor that had been customized, unfortunetly i can't find the post again to ask the maker what he used. 

thanks for all the info. folks, i hope you won't mind if i ask some dumb questions in the future.

Dave Smiley

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Dave, feel free to ask anything, the only dumb question is the one you DON'T ask! Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

13Echo
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Bavarialand,

There are decent rifles on the Trapdoor site right now for $750 with good barrels that would make good shooters.  Go have a look.  My old friend Bo, a real cheapskate if there ever was one, bought one of those rifles and it shoots cloverleaf groups at 100yds.   

Jerry Liles

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
I was in Cherrys not long ago (web site cherrys fine firearms) and he had a couple of nice shooter trapdoors in stock.  Cherrys sold one of my Trapdoor carbines for less  than 1000 dollars on consignement last year and it was a top notch shooter. He is a good guy to deal with.  I think you can find a good shooting rifle for between 600 and 750 without much trouble.  I would look for an 1884 that has high  numbers.  Many were aresanal rebuilt which included scraping the stock.  If the cartouche is gone it's priced a lot lower hence the 600-750 range. 1873's are much higher and carbines even more so.

On which one, the only one I own now is a Cadet model. Shorter barrel than a rifle but still not a carbine.  Am partital to the 2 band Minne Ball rifles and the Cadet Trapdoor is exactly like my musket.  Both have been very good deer rifles to 100 yards.  More distance and the trapdoor is accurate but you need to adjust sights which is not good for hunting at various ranges. Same is true for about any big bore Single shot.

I  have switched the front sight blade for a 03's that's higher and lets me zero at shorter ranges and added a Arsenal cast steel pistol grip. Both can be taken off if I want to go back to origional.  The Buffington Sight has a bit of shim stock in it too.  For accurage sight settings use a dial caliper on the Buffington recording the reading for distances in a notebook. Have shot mine over the course 200/300/600 and even once or twice to 1000 yards.  Not the best long range rifle but it is possable to shoot long range with one.  It looses out prone to a dedicated target stocked rifle not to mention a modern barrel.

I shoot it with the Carbine load almost exclusivly, 405 gr aresnal bullet over black powder.  Have shot it smokeless with the same bullet but  not a lot. Lots of good bullets in that range avalable. My mold is a Raphine exact copy of the Aersenal bullet. He used to sell them in different sizes. 460 works for me.  Big is probably better but Wolfe has a lot to say about that.

Bullet weight makes a big recoil difference.  I don't have an recoil problems with mine except it's not a prone stock under any conditons.

Have fun

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint