Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Wowzers! I handled a Sharps copy today! (Read 8756 times)
kentdep
Ex Member

Wowzers! I handled a Sharps copy today!
Nov 12th, 2007 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
My word! I handled a Uberti Sharps Quigley models today. Holey brergeezers that thing was big. I can see why you wouldn't need a recoil pad with a rifle that big and bulky. I think that I will look else where for my long range single shot. TOO BIG! 

Jay

IP Logged

cat1870

Re: Wowzers! I handled a Sharps copy today!
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Jay,
I have a couple of Sharps in 45-70 & 40-70.
Both have shotgun type buttplates.
I shoot 500 grain bullets in the 45-70 & 410 grain in the .40 cal.  Recoil isn't that bad.  Of course I use BP so recoil in different the smokeless.
I don't think the recoul would bother you.

Cat

SASS Life member & NRA Life member

IP Logged

kentdep
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Yeah... That is what I was getting at. The weight of the Quigley gun was so heavy that I did not think that it would need a recoil pad. 

Jay

IP Logged

Van
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
if it was the 45-110 fully loaded, you WOULD know it when it go boom....
I don't even like my 100, because of the recoil.
van

IP Logged

kentdep
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 5:04am
Print Post  
It was a .45-70. 

Jay

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 6:09am
Print Post  
I agree concerning the weight/recoil thing but would add one caveat: recoil is cumulative. The weight of the Quigley and .45-70 caliber is a plus. I shoot a .45-70 that probably weighs @ 14# with scope mounted and with a full charge of BP and 500 gr bullet I am still feeling it toward the end of a match. I am not recoil sensitive - it just adds up.
19th century rules for Creedmoor called for a 10.5# rifle. Using the 530-540 gr bullets popular now with large cases full of BP in that weight rifle one would have to be pretty tough to not appreciate a butt or shoulder pad before a match was over.

Just one guy''s thoughts. HST shoots LR, maybe he has some thoughts to contribute.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
FWIW, all my BPCR rifles wear a nice recoil pad, even the 13+ pound Martini in #2 Musket.  When you are going for accuracy, weight is your friend, will reduce both recoil and torque.  I will take the heavier rifle any day!  At least for BPCR competition shooting.

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Jay:

What do you have in mind for the rifle? Is it for Creedmoor competition or Silhouette? Or a field gun?

Glenn

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #8 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
DonH, you are right about cumilative affect. One thing that has been lost is the fact that the Long Range matches of yesteryear were not shot as we do today. Most matches were fired as Team matches under strict control of the Team Coach. Also they were fired at one distance per DAY!. It took a whole day for the Team to fire their ten shot string. You came to the line with your Rifle and assumed your position. The team Coach, who never left the line as he was observing all the shots and Wind Flags would give you instruction as to sight settings from a previously established Zero for your Rifle and Load for both Windage and Elavation changes. AND YOU WOULD MAKE THEM! Failure to take direction from the Coach would in most cases elimanate you from team competion in the future. When you had made the changes he instructed you to make you would assume your firing position and WAIT! And at some point he would say "Now Would Be a Good Time to Fire" After you fired your shot you would get up and wait for the result to be posted. Then you would retire from the Line to clean your Rifle and Oil and prepare it for the next time you were to shoot. In most of those matches they had Sighting days before the Match and Zero's were attained and set. In today's world we get up there and beat ourselves to death with 30 to 45 minute relays. In many of wich we are expected to shoot Sighters and ten or twenty shots for record. No wonder we start to feel a little punchy. A full description of this shooting
can be found in "How I became Crack Shot" by W.Milton Farrow. a book he wrote and published. He was definitely kind of full of himself and was not liked by many. BUT he was one heck of a shooter and won matches all over the world.. Well enough of my ranting. HTH Regards, FITZ.

FITZ

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
some years ago about 7 I had dave higgenbotham screw a gm 45 -70 barrel 34 inches into a hoghwall dst schuetzen reciever.
it actually makes wieght for bpcs.
the round I ended up shooting is a p.j. 565 gr with 75 grs of 2fg goex.
shoots really well and the recoil is not bad at all first thing I did  was to stick a recoil pad on it.and have never looked back
irish

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #10 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 8:11am
Print Post  
My 14lb Sharps 50/90 is a bit of a monster with 650gn bullet and 105gn FG BUT a recoil sheild from Buffalo Arms tamed it somewhat! Shocked

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!

IP Logged

kentdep
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
I would imagine that nice pad that you have there helps out a bunch. 

Hey I noticed the MGB in the background is that yours? I had a '72 that was a blast to drive. Wish I still had it. 

Jay

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #12 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 5:27am
Print Post  
Likewise, I traded that one for a wife & 3 kids! Sad Sad

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!

IP Logged

kentdep
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 6:35am
Print Post  
As Forrest Gump would say,"I't happens....."  Grin

Jay

IP Logged

Lee_Stone
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
B.A.W.
Re: your .50/90. 

When I had my .50/90 built, I had Shiloh install a mercury tube recoil suppressor in the buttstock. So far, the best load I've worked up is 110gr of Goex Fg pushing a 650gr PJ Creedmoor bullet. Wearing a recoil shield from Buffalo Arms like the one you have, the felt recoil of my .50/90 is less than the felt recoil from my .45/90 Shiloh shooting a 540gr bullet pushed by 90gr of Swiss FFg. The mercury tube, in conjunction with the  shoulder worn recoil shield really tames down the recoil of my .50/90. So when Shiloh built my .45/110, I had them install a mercury tube in it to, and it's felt recoil is about the same or a little less that the Big .50. So you might wish to consider a mercury tube installation in your .50/90 to make it a lot more pleasant to shoot. All three of these rifles have 34 inch #1 heavy barrels and weigh in around 13 1/2 pounds each, about the same as the .45/70 Pedersoli "Quigley" Sharps I gave to my son-in-law.  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint