Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bench Rest (Read 3910 times)
Peterson22
Ex Member

Bench Rest
Nov 9th, 2007 at 4:11am
Print Post  
Have any of you ever built a bench rest?  I have some farm ground and I am going to put in a permanent bolt together bench rest.  I'm thinking of using that new resin based lumber that will never rot.  I don't want to invent the wheel, where can I find a set of plans that blueprint a fine rest?  My buddy is a lefty so I would like one that goes southpaw as well.  Thanks.

IP Logged

First_Shirt
Ex Member

Re: Bench Rest
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 8:26am
Print Post  
If I remember correctly, there are a couple of sets of plans for shooting benches in the back of Jim Carmichael's Gunsmithing book.  One is made of heavy lumber, and the other cast of concrete, which wins hands down for stability (and permanence).

Mine is only sorta permanent...I had to make it moveable in case I need to use the old road to access the back side of my property.  I used pressure treated lumber for the top, which sits on stacked concrete blocks.  It's pretty solid, but can be disassembled and moved with a bit of effort.

Greg

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 8:34am
Print Post  
There is a drawing and measurements for a heavy bench in Harvy Donaldson's book. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 8:43am
Print Post  
A few random thoughts...

1) Mann's "Gibraltar" is shown IIRC in "Bullet's Flight" and perhaps a couple of other places.
2) the NRA has several sets of plans in various reprints.
3) Our local club cast up tops out of concrete and put them on top of bases built of cinder blocks.

This last is my personal favorite even though I was not in on the design or building of them.  They beat ANYthing I can imagine building out of wood, on the other hand, they don't move very well!  Grin  If I were building one for myself and had no intention of having to move it, this is what I would build, under the scenario you describe.  Of course YMMV!!  Cheesy

Froggie

IP Logged

Ziggy

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Check this out (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Have built a number of them, in several styles and materials. I have only two specific suggestions, but these are based upon practical experience with most of the differing designs and are very firm in my mind.

Heavier is always better. Doesn't matter if it's concrete or steel or wood (I've been successful with all three), heavier is always the way to go.

Use only the 'U' style design and avoid the 'T' shape like the plague. A shooting session at each will soon reveal the advantages.

Everything else will vary with personal size and preference, but the above two suggestions remain paramount in my mind regardless of any other considerations.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

sluggunner
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Just a thought that you might want to check on. The kid next door built a deck around his above the ground pool and used some type of resin material. It warped after one year.
                                                      Rich

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint