Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Spotting scope testing (Read 51309 times)
bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Spotting scope testing
Reply #30 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
I use Kowa as well, but I have two, 1 real good one and one not so good. Both are 20x 60 eye pieces. The good one is a straight scope with floride lens. The not so good is a 45 degree eye piece (some loss I think from that) and regular kowa glass (some more loss I think). Both are 77mm scopes.  Good scope I can see .22 holes 200 yards most any day (as long as my mount is solid). The not so good the light has to be just right. Varibles are going to exist no matter what you do. Any good test you try to minimise the varibles between tests otherwise you are guessing.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Bnice I have not found anything Variable to be as good as straight fixed power.  Those eyepieces are interchangeable I bet if you put a 27x straight on it would transform the scope

Boats

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
You know the really odd thing about spotting scopes seems to be that there is all kinds of trade offs. When you get into these big scope, you know it's not going to be the scope you pack into the Alaskan range for your sheep hunt. However it works great to leave in base camp after the bush plane flies you and your gear in.

The Leupold scope is just the ticket for that climb after the sheep.

That's what I mean by trade offs. When it comes right down to it, we try and use the best we can for the job at hand.

Many a guide in this state carry the Leupold spotting scopes and think that for weight and size they offer the best performance. These are not a class of people that will compromise on gear.

Indeed, Alaska is the place that puts gear to the worst kind of tests. I got this big old Kowa when I was doing a lot of bench rest shooting and my Son was just getting into High power shooting. The other good thing the Kowa does vary well, it allows me to hall the summer visitors out, set up the tripod along side the highway so they can look at sheep, goats and whatever else happens along the way.

You are right about the power factor in scopes, you are less effected by mirage at the lower power range of eyepieces.
That is why you don't see to many people going over 27X even in the bigger scopes.

When I got this big old Kowa, I was shooting a lot of .224 at two hundred and need to be able to see my bullet holes, it was much easier to judge the group size with the spotter at 27X than it was to judge the group through my 36X rifle scope. Until I got the scope I always thought my group were bigger. Coming off the line, people would ask about my group and I always thought they were from .100 to .200 bigger than they proved to be when scored. Other shooters got to thinking I was lying to them.  Cry

P.S. It's a bad thing for people to think you are sand bagging them. They don't trust you when the money gets down on the table. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #33 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
I think the idea of a standardized test is a good one and should be pursued. However, If at all possible, before making a purchase, I would make every effort to compare the contenders in a shoulder to shoulder test. I found a retailer within an hour of my home who caters to bird watchers, apparently. I had never heard of them before. At any rate, their website showed quite a bit of inventory and a good range of prices , including a house brand that had all the features I wanted at a very attrative price. One day, I took A Schuetzen 200 yd target , with red bullseye and a few .22 cal bullets holes, and a target frame (wire frame for a politacal campaign sign), and set the sign up outside the shop as far away as I could get it.  The store let me compare all the scope I wanted. after about three hours, I finally picked one out. The final test was whether or not if would fit in my range box and I made it a point to bring the range box.  The house brand did NOT compare favorably to the one I ended up buying when it came to seeing .22 cal bullet holes at long range, so I bought one for a little more money but have been completely satisfied with it.  Pick an overcast day and bring a target with some bullet holes. Joe S

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Nov 6th, 2007 at 10:58am
Print Post  
While I'm in complete agreement with your method of testing and think it shows nothing but wisdom. I don't believe this is what Joe B. is looking for. He has vary definite ideas of how these tests must be conducted, please withhold common sense methods, that do nothing but distract shooters and would cause irreparable harm to the entire shooting community.

Perhaps you just forgot that common sense, is uncommon in today's America.

Do not feel to badly, we are all guilty of this same slip once in a vary great while.

Please do not feel this post was in anyway, in other than given in any spirit, but of the most gentlemanly sort!  Huh

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #35 - Nov 6th, 2007 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Of course the bottom line is pretty much you get what you pay for. There are lots of decent scopes out there but my Kowa 82mm straight with 20-60 will pick up .14 cal holes in the black @200yds. all day any day.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Nov 6th, 2007 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Right after I got my Nikon Sky and Earth 80mm 20 to 60x, I was spotting a bud shooting his new .20cal BR, at 200 yds That was a good test.

I spotted all his shots that got to the target even in the black, and the Nikon was only about 450 bucks or so.

A scope is only as good as the last lens it goes through and that is the atmosphere.

IP Logged

Shooter_1
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Nov 6th, 2007 at 12:51pm
Print Post  

joe b. you said:
"I've got this running on three forums"

Will you let us know the three forums that this is running on so we can see what the opinions of others are ?.  You mention the BPCR forum so I checked the BPCR forum and did not find anything about testing spotting scopes, the last message I found that had anything to do with spotting scopes was from March of 2006, that's almost two years ago ?, and that message had nothing to do with testing. 
Shooter

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Nov 6th, 2007 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
To an earlier reply;

THere's nothing magic about the Kowa's. Yes, they're good glass... and "everyone" uses them in Highpower Rifle (and probably other sports also).
There are other scopes that are mighty fine glass too.

I have a (discontinued) Mirador fixed 28x that spots holes up with the Kowa TSN821...
A guy I shoot with has a Nikon 60mm (I think) that is some of the clearest glass I've ever seen... I think he has a 24x fixed, but he can spot holes in lousy mirage when we can't see s***.

Sure, you MOSTLY get what you pay for... I wouldn't expect a $150 scope to be quite as good as a $950 Kowa... But there ARE some scopes in the sub $300 range that are quite a bit better than you might expect FOR THE MONEY.  We put a new Konus next to a Kowa TSN-1 and were quite impressed by the Konus... and the Konus cost $189.
Sure, this is all anecdotal.... but I've stopped jumping to conclusions about "cheaper" scopes before I have the chance to look through them.

I agree with the premise that a good objective side by side test is important to be able to accurately judge a scope. One scope one day, and another the next isn't going to tell a guy how the two scopes compare, only how they did on their respective days.
The "reading text" test would be good as a measure of resolution.   

IMHO of course..
Paul F.

IP Logged

Tar_Baby
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Nov 6th, 2007 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
KAF   your last on the last lens. cool. has a lot to do with it here where the air is seen on most days.

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Nov 6th, 2007 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Quote:

joe b. you said:
"I've got this running on three forums"

Will you let us know the three forums that this is running on so we can see what the opinions of others are ?.  You mention the BPCR forum so I checked the BPCR forum and did not find anything about testing spotting scopes, the last message I found that had anything to do with spotting scopes was from March of 2006, that's almost two years ago ?, and that message had nothing to do with testing. 
Shooter

It started, for me, on the MSN BPCR forum. It's running there, on the CBA forum, and on Cast Boolits forum, and here. So I guess that's four. As usual, the Cast Boolits forum has helpful posters, and not so many critics/experts as there are here. Anyhow;
Steven Dzupin on Cast Boolits clued me in to (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links), where there are downloadable copies of scope-testing targets, including the 1951 Air Force resolution target. Note that the right hand of the three targets is composed of lines of print. Nyah, nyah!!
I downloaded these into a .pdf file as recommended, and printed the AF target. It certainly looks good to me.
Thanks, Steven, I'll keep working on it.
Anyone willing to do some testing, please make a copy of the AF target, and try it out. Record the scope make and model and power, and the light conditions, for now 
Bright, Sunny
Cloudy
Dark, overcast
Thanks;
joe b.
PS, someone her said he owned a Unertl Team Scope. Wuould you be willing to run a test to give us a benchmark?
Thanks again;
joe b.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #41 - Nov 6th, 2007 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
PS, someone her said he owned a Unertl Team Scope. Would you be willing to run a test to give us a benchmark? 
Thanks again; 
joe b

So it's pretty well established that the Unertl Team Scope sets the standard to which other scopes are measured.  I do have a Team Scope with some special eye pieces made by Ol John Unertl him self. One is a 60x that John said was too much and he was right. Even at night there is so much mirage that it's like looking into a body of water.  I find that normally 27 x is about the optim for me anyways,  I have the following magnifications. 10x; 15x; 20x; 27x; 40x; 60x. 
I would be happy to do some testing but as noted by others, the best test is a side by side comparison so that conditions are equal. I will have the scope at E.G. next spring so if some comparison viewing want to be done, it will be there. 
I might add that I also have a Redfield variable 15x to 45X and use this scope a lot as it is much easier to set up than the Team Scope. A Freeland All-Angle scope head and bi-pod base works well. I also have found that a camera filter, red, works well for seeing small holes in red targets. Inexpensive and work well. A number 52 as I recall but not sure. Let me know if I can be of assistance.
Regards to all. 4227

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #42 - Nov 6th, 2007 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
4227, I'm hoping that we can spend more time together @ E-G this year rather than missing each other as we did last time.  I should be there for the whole gig this year.  Maybe we can get together on the end and set up a "stop by and take a peek" stand with a couple of scope stands to compare other folks scopes side by side with the "Unertl Gold Standard."  In spite of protestations to the contrary side by side would be the most valid and easily judged comparison.  JMHO, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  Wink

Froggie

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Nov 6th, 2007 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Green_Frog wrote on Nov 6th, 2007 at 4:46pm:
4227, I'm hoping that we can spend more time together @ E-G this year rather than missing each other as we did last time.  I should be there for the whole gig this year.  Maybe we can get together on the end and set up a "stop by and take a peek" stand with a couple of scope stands to compare other folks scopes side by side with the "Unertl Gold Standard."  In spite of protestations to the contrary side by side would be the most valid and easily judged comparison.  JMHO, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  Wink

Froggie

Greenie: I would be willing to send you my Kowa TSN 821 with 27X eyepiece and tri-pod for the purpose of any side X side testing @ EG. I'll pay the freight one way, if you pay the return?

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Nov 6th, 2007 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Boats, the varibles I was talking about are induced varibles that you want to avoid in you test setups not the scopes.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send TopicPrint