Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Spotting scope testing (Read 51316 times)
marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Spotting scope testing
Reply #15 - Nov 4th, 2007 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Even things like high temperatures and humidity can affect scopes, especially less expensive scopes. Without side by side, the whole thing just doesn't work. 
Surfaces in the shooting area can also affect the scope, with mirage from concrete or stability of the surface the base is sitting on. Lots of variables to cause changes.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Shooter_1
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Nov 4th, 2007 at 6:28pm
Print Post  

Well I'm not interested in reading fine print at 100 yds, or watching birds, but I am interested in seeing bullet holes of different calibers and how good other scopes can see them sounds interesting.  If you need my Unertls for the test I'm willing to participate. 

If your dead set on using sentences you may want to consider sending all the guys involved the test sentences and all on the same color paper, there are differences in the color white and if it's going to be a useful test that type of thing has to be controlled,  that's why I recommended target paper,  no matter where I've shot,  even in Russia,  the target paper is pretty much the same, when I asked about it I was told they do it because if the Olympic games, same color paper no matter what part of the world you shoot in,  paper color is very important, especially on a bright or overcast day,  otherwise the test will be highly flawed. 

I think that's why Boats recommend a "new" dollar bill as a control, everyone usually has one or can get one,  and there all the same color and size. Sounds to me that Boats has been involved in some type of military testing, same as I have.
Shooter

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 6:54am
Print Post  
Quote:

Well I'm not interested in reading fine print at 100 yds, or watching birds, but I am interested in seeing bullet holes of different calibers and how good other scopes can see them sounds interesting.  If you need my Unertls for the test I'm willing to participate. 

If your dead set on using sentences you may want to consider sending all the guys involved the test sentences and all on the same color paper, there are differences in the color white and if it's going to be a useful test that type of thing has to be controlled,  that's why I recommended target paper,  no matter where I've shot,  even in Russia,  the target paper is pretty much the same, when I asked about it I was told they do it because if the Olympic games, same color paper no matter what part of the world you shoot in,  paper color is very important, especially on a bright or overcast day,  otherwise the test will be highly flawed. 

I think that's why Boats recommend a "new" dollar bill as a control, everyone usually has one or can get one,  and there all the same color and size. Sounds to me that Boats has been involved in some type of military testing, same as I have.
Shooter

I made a test paper that says "Times New Roman 72 point.", from 72 to 10 point. The font is times new roman. It fits on one piece of copier paper.
If you will, please make one of these and take it to the range. Set it up at 100 yards and see the smallest print that you, and hopefully some others, can read. Please record the "light" as either 
bright sunny
cloudy
cloudy dark

I've got this running on three forums, have yet to see any description of an anternative test. "Invalid" is popular, as is "there are just too many variables".

Bullet holes would be good, but that the background makes all the difference. On a clear day with snow on the ground behind the target you can see termite holes in the target frames.

The dollar is interesting, I've been looking at one for a while. Care to expand on that?
I'd like any suggestions you have, and of course "invalid" and "impossible" are always welcome.
joe b.

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Side X side is the only valid test I know of, for one of the best reasons there is. It allows the only person that counts to see what works for him.

That's why I own the scope I use, do to a side by side coparison at different matches, Yes, seeing bullet holes at two hundred yards is a real life test, that counts.

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Quote:
Side X side is the only valid test I know of, for one of the best reasons there is. It allows the only person that counts to see what works for him.

That's why I own the scope I use, do to a side by side coparison at different matches, Yes, seeing bullet holes at two hundred yards is a real life test, that counts.

Another side by side guy. When you test rifles for accuracy, do you do it with 2 rifles side by side? What do you mean, valid? 

How about if 245 people report that they can read the 18 point line with scope A, and 354 people report that they can only read the much larger 36 point line with scope B? NO side by side tests. Do you think that there is ANY reason to suspec that scope A is "better" than scope B?
There are problems with the test as proposed, substantial ones, but side-by-side ain't one of them.
How about if I offer a prize for the poster of a REAL problem?

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Maybe, just maybe we don't see things the same! Is that possible? I don't remember in the 50 years I've shot competitively, reading print at any yardage. Or having any need to do so. Now seeing bullet holes during a match , seems I've had that need. 

I only have a need to please myself, no others need apply. Seems like I anti-collectivism all the way around, come to think of it.

When my vision was 20/10, I wondered why people thought they needed any optical help at all?

Of course I know there is no money to be made for someone that wants to write and sell a book or magazine  article. But then again I don't much care what those kind of people have to say anyway.

I guess I'm just not a vary nice person. That should not come as a surprise to anyone here.   Grin

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Maybe, just maybe we don't see things the same! Is that possible? I don't remember in the 50 years I've shot competitively, reading print at any yardage. Or having any need to do so. Now seeing bullet holes during a match , seems I've had that need. 

I only have a need to please myself, no others need apply. Seems like I anti-collectivism all the way around, come to think of it.

When my vision was 20/10, I wondered why people thought they needed any optical help at all?

Of course I know there is no money to be made for someone that wants to write and sell a book or magazine  article. But then again I don't much care what those kind of people have to say anyway.

I guess I'm just not a vary nice person. That should not come as a surprise to anyone here.   Grin

I think that you are a very nice person. I don't think that you've thought this thing through very well. If you can devise a test involving bullet holes, I'd like to hear about it.
Optical devices are tested using test targets of various designs. Searching on "test optics" or "test lens" will show you the wide selection of information available.
Now hunting scopes are tested with test targets, yet we never hear the hunters complaining that they don't want to look at sets of precisely spaced bars, they want to look at animals.
We don't hear the astronomers making the same complaint.
It is common to find test methods that do not mimic the article's use. Measuring vacuum with a temperature probe, and underground testing of nuclear (or nucular if you're the president), devices leap to mind.
So don't get upset, just put on your thinking cap and write that test procedure using bullet holes. I want that money!!
joe brennan

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #22 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Not to be argumentative, but when you test a rifle, you have an objective, measurable result that can be compared then and as long as you preseerve the target or an image of it.  There is no such preserved image for a scope comparison unless you take a picture, and then you have a variation in the quality of the digital or film image.  What the shooter sees is a subjective thing and can only partially be quantified, and then only for that shooter in that condition.  I have also had experience where the same scope gave different results on different days, depending on very slight changes in conditions.  Same scope, same bullet holes in same targets, but different ability to resolve the image on different days.  I use the scope that does the best for me on the most days.

Your project is admirable, but I would maintain that your results will have to be interpreted subjectively and even with the massive participation (599 shooters using just two scopes) your later postings suggest would be coming, they will still only be suggestive at best, sort of like which scope the birders like best.  If it shows the fine markings of a Transylvanian Vulture, it will show the difference between a single and a double on the target... maybe.  The shooter will have to try it.

JMHO, but it's your project, so rock on!  Smiley
Froggie

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Joe, there is an easier method, probably more useful to shooters. Take a target with a large bull and put a series of holes  of different size 1"-2" apart in the black. Start with a 45 or 50 cal. and go down to a .22 or .17. You will determine everything you will ever need in seeing how small a hole a scope can pick up at 200 and maybe 300 yards. Black print on target paper is deceptive, a hole in black paper without backers is probably of  more practical use IMHO.
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2007 at 2:14pm by tim_s »  

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
The most valid test is ruled by the law of natural selection

The Scope most seen on firing lines is the Kowa large objective with a 27x fixed power eyepiece.

It's not what I use but all those shooters can't be wrong.

Boats

IP Logged

Shooter_1
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Hi Tim,
I think I've already said something like that, twice. 
I have tried to inform Joe B. that this test will be  highly flawed if some type of control or standard isn't maintained, for the test to be useful everyone has to be looking at the same thing as far as paper color goes such as target paper, you just cant tell guys to use copy paper. 

Example: 
I have three different colors of white on hand right now, # 84 white, # 92 white, and # 97 white, just setting here looking at the three different ones I can see the difference. Now which   # do you want me to use ?, or do I have to go get a different #.   Like I have said, I don't mind participating or helping but it seems that you don't have your test platform together at this time.  I still like the bullet hole idea, they are pretty universal all over the world, a 22 is .224, a 30 is .308, etc. but will do it your way when you get your test platform down so that everyone is using the same thing. Otherwise we will all be wasting our time on this.
  Shooter

IP Logged

Shooter_1
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
How about if I offer a prize for the poster of a REAL problem? 

OK Joe,
I gave you a real tip about the paper color, and if not controlled will be a BIG problem.

Did I win the Prize.
Shooter

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
I will agree that the paper stock will have a major impact on resolution. Ink too.

Biggest variable will be ambient conditions, This is were I have seen the same scope go from wonderful resolution to terrible in a few minutes.  At Asheville when the sun is coming up against you not a scope on the line will resolve 32 cal holes at 200 yards. Walk up and down and look through all of them and the most expensive are just as bad as the cheap ones.  Sun gets to the right angle and it's like your tv set coming into focus as it warms up. Holes pop right out at you.  Still a sunny day just the angle of light changes.

You can put scope shake to ambient too.  The spotter I use the most is small and light. On a large camera tripod with a fluid head when spotting Silhouette is resolves pretty well.  Out to 500 meters. if the light is right you can see 30 cal bullets in flight.  45 cal BPC bullets you can follow the strike most of the time Use the same scope when shooting Schuetzen offhand mounted on a bipod and it shakes when the rifle next to me goes off. Resolution goes sour fast, Same scope on a concrete bench rest table top mounted in a  tripod that's sturdy it's like a different scope. At Froggys last match when the wind came up and was moving he bipod around, I took it off the long staff and sat it on the bench in order to resolve holes at 200 yards. 32 cal holes.

Boats

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The most valid test is ruled by the law of natural selection 

The Scope most seen on firing lines is the Kowa large objective with a 27x fixed power eyepiece. 

It's not what I use but all those shooters can't be wrong. 

Boats

I don't think that is fair Boats, I use the Kowa because it works for me. I'm not trying to sell them, "Not only am I the President of Hair Club for...

Whoops, I got carried away with myself there for a second.

My problem with doing anything but bullet holes. Please name all the shooters that don't want to know if they can or can not see bullet holes with their spotting scopes.

Name all the guys that want to read the news paper at two hundred yards. Not counting the guys with arms two hundred yards long that can turn the pages.

Of course use standard target paper, how or why would you want to use anything else?

What is a valid test anyway? I would think it would have to be a test that more than just one guy could preform and get similar results.

Yes, I too remember reading years ago that Questar made a scope that you could read a news paper from a mile away.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
SixBits every time I get a little extra cash I think about one of the Kowas.  Problem is my Little 25x50 mm fixed power Leopould works pretty good and fits in my shooting bag nice.  I know going to 77 or 82 mm would be an advantage but avoid it due to the size and something else to carry. Plus all I am doing is looking for 32 cal bullet holes at 200 .22's at 100, not a severe test of a scope.

Funny thing though Leopould made that scope in 20 & 25 same size body and 30x longer.  I bought mine used so had no choice when it came to power.  I put it side by side with one identical except 20 power.  The 20 resolved better than my 25, to my eye that is.

I do think price for performance the Kowas are the scopes to have.   

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint