Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Best Rifle Shooting (Read 8750 times)
Peterson22
Ex Member

The Best Rifle Shooting
Oct 29th, 2007 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
I tried out my new (old) Peterson .22.  What a blast, have I got a long way to go and that made me wonder just what is possible--because the quest to be a crack shot is 90% of the fun whether its rifle, pistol or shotgun.  So, what rifle shooting feat out there amazes you above all others.  My late friend Dick Baldwin was a Remington pro as was his father and we would visit at the Grand.  He used to tell this story:

1920s trapshoot at a makeshift Kansas trapfield with the trap hidden behind bales of hay.  After it was done a young farmer commented that he didn't know "they used shotguns".   
The Remington asked him "what did you think they used"?
The farmer said "well I shoot Prairie chickens with a .22"
The pro said "son if you'd like to try I'll buy the targets."
Baldwin always swore the next part was gospel and that the young farmer broke 3 out of his first 5 trap targets with an old .22 and 15 or 16 out of 25.  His shooting so stumped everyone that they forgot to catch his name and he drove away onto the prairie in his model T.  He always claimed he was the best shot he ever saw.

It sounds a bit like vignette straight out of Buckingham, Steinbeck or the Saturday Evening Post but Dick always swore it was true--pure Americana.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Re: The Best Rifle Shooting
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Never underestimate a farmer.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
My grandfather used to tell me stories like that.  He and his brother shot pigeons on the wing with .22 as they came out of the barn.  Might be true.  Might not.  But I do love the stories.   

As for documented feats.  Doc Hudson's 100-shot, 200-yd offhand mark is my litmus test.  It is enough that I put down $500 for anyone that can beat it.

Brent

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
My Dad was too modest to tell the story, but my uncles never stopped telling it! 
Seems my father was quite the shot with his old Remington #4 in .22 rimfire, as a young boy. My uncles said he would take 10 cartridges and put them in his pocket. Then tell one of his younger brothers to tag along as his "meat bearer". 
He would rarely bring back less rabbits than he had taken cartridges for, and never shot one sitting still. He'd tell my uncles to toss a rock at them if they were sitting, and then shoot them on the run. He always said it wasn't sporting to shoot one sitting or laying down!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
One of the touring Winchester professionals (Ad Topperwein, maybe) shot, in front of witnesses, I believe several hundred wooden blocks (maybe 3" X 3") tossed into the air, using a .22 rifle.  I seem to remember seeing a picture of him in the old American Rifleman sittlng on the pile of blocks after they had been shot and then gathered up.   Cool

Anyway, don't ever sell short the man who shoots one gun and shoots it a lot.  He may just surprise you!  Shocked

Froggie

IP Logged

Peterson22
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 12:20am
Print Post  
I read about that Hudson mark and he did it with black powder and open sights and his mark stood for 90+- years and was untouched under those conditions.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 7:47am
Print Post  
Quote:
I read about that Hudson mark and he did it with black powder and open sights and his mark stood for 90+- years and was untouched under those conditions.

Still stands as a matter of fact.  The match he shot it at was an "any sights" and powder match so if one wants to go for the prize (about $1800 I think), you can use a scope and smokeless - and even a .22.   

I would think the ASSRA members would love to take $500 of my money.  But so far...

Brent

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Green_Frog wrote on Oct 29th, 2007 at 10:19pm:
One of the touring Winchester professionals (Ad Topperwein, maybe) shot, in front of witnesses, I believe several hundred wooden blocks (maybe 3" X 3") tossed into the air, using a .22 rifle.  I seem to remember seeing a picture of him in the old American Rifleman sittlng on the pile of blocks after they had been shot and then gathered up.   Cool

Anyway, don't ever sell short the man who shoots one gun and shoots it a lot.  He may just surprise you!  Shocked

Froggie

I believe the total was 10,000 blocks, Froggie, and might have been more since my memory isn't what it used to be.

One of my old shooting buds was deadly on thrown targets with most any rifle including his 30-06 BAR. He could and would, at will, hit almost anything thrown by hand including pennies. I literally can't count the numbers of destroyed Zippo lighters (this was way back when I was young) thrown by unbelievers before they learned better.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #8 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
When I was growing up (we lived out in the desert), my father had a copy of "Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting" by Ed McGivern. In his book, McGivern devotes an whole chapter to hitting thrown targets with a pistol; so of course I had to try my hand at it. Although I'm far from a trick shot, I found that if the bottle, etc., is thrown away from you in a gentle arc, it's surprisingly easy to hit with either a 22 pistol or a pump 22, I had a friend who became very good at it, to the point that he rarely missed. It was very satisfying to throw a bottle, pull up my 22 pistol and smash it in midair, and it definitely impressed my friends!

Bob

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 31st, 2007 at 12:05am
Print Post  
I once had a High Standard Olympic with compensator and weights, and if I told you how many times I could hit a thrown ball or even a thrown shotgun shell, well......I'll just say it was frequently more than once before it hit the ground but never with the full mag. It's what some call a trick, kinda like skeet shooting or certain kinds of weight-lifting, it's more a matter of manual dexterity, technique and muscle memory that all combine to produce the required eye-hand coordination and body movments. The actual precision marksmanship is not really necessary with this sort of close-range shooting, and AAMOF my friend who could easily hit a thrown dime could also be easily defeated in most any bullseye or similar competition requiring precision shooting as we know it. He would have been very discouraged if he had ever tried Schuetzen.

But it sure was fun to watch him obliterate some smartaleck's thrown Zippo with his 30-06!
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Joe, did your buddy shoot like this guy?
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Reply #11 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
My question is "Were are all the bullets going"? Angry
Maybe it`s just the schuetzenmeister in me Undecided

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Jim_Borton wrote on Nov 1st, 2007 at 12:05pm:
My question is "Were are all the bullets going"? Angry
Maybe it`s just the schuetzenmeister in me Undecided

You be an easterner, it's a good question. But that looks like Nebraska to me - Western Nebraska or near equivalent.   

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Green_Frog wrote on Oct 29th, 2007 at 10:19pm:
One of the touring Winchester professionals (Ad Topperwein, maybe) shot, in front of witnesses, I believe several hundred wooden blocks (maybe 3" X 3") tossed into the air, using a .22 rifle.  I seem to remember seeing a picture of him in the old American Rifleman sittlng on the pile of blocks after they had been shot and then gathered up.   Cool

Anyway, don't ever sell short the man who shoots one gun and shoots it a lot.  He may just surprise you!  Shocked

Froggie

Hello Froggie,

Ad Topperweins record was made between the 13th and 22nd Dec 1907.

He shot at a total of 72,500  2.25" square wooden blocks hand thrown
by three 'stout' lads. He used 3 x 1903 Winchester Automatic .22rifles loading them himself, changing rifles every 500 rounds

He missed a total of four in the first 50,000 blocks and nine out of the 72,500 thrown.  Only some 60,000 blocks were delivered so he had to re-use some of the larger fragments to make up the total.

The shoot took place under the exhibition rules of the time. Topperwein worked for Winchester as an exhibition shooter so Winchester no doubt paid his ammo bill.

Tom Fry who worked as an exhibition shooter for Remington beat this record sometime in the 1950's I believe, when he shot at 100.001 targets. His records was not made under the same rules as Topperweins.

Harry

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #14 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Some of Ed McGivern's pistol handy-work;

Mr. McGivern was capable of many amazing shooting feats, most of them well documented in his book.[1] To name just a few:

He could break six simultaneously hand thrown clay pigeons (standard trap targets) in the air before they hit the ground. 
He could hit a tin can hand thrown 20 ft. in the air 6 (six) times before it hit the ground. 
He could shoot-drive a tack or nail into wood. 
He could shoot the spots out of playing cards, or even split a playing card edge on. 
He could shoot a dime on the fly. 
All of these executed with either hand using a factory Smith & Wesson M&P double action revolver (puportedly his favorite handgun).

Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint