Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) .22 rimfire at 200 yds. offhand (Read 20308 times)
MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: .22 rimfire at 200 yds. offhand
Reply #30 - Oct 31st, 2007 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Talking about rimfires - what is the BC of the .22LR match bullet?  Just to generate some tables with sight adjustments for the various distances...  All this talk of rf at 200 makes me want to get the 12/15 out of the gun cabinet and give it a try at longer ranges....

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Oct 31st, 2007 at 10:03am
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian wrote on Oct 31st, 2007 at 9:31am:
Talking about rimfires - what is the BC of the .22LR match bullet?  Just to generate some tables with sight adjustments for the various distances...  All this talk of rf at 200 makes me want to get the 12/15 out of the gun cabinet and give it a try at longer ranges....

Gert, 
According to rimfirecentral.com the bc of most target ammo bullets is around 0.15.

Brent

« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2007 at 5:24pm by Jim_Borton »  

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #32 - Oct 31st, 2007 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
I am trying to make allowances for the fact that this is a grumpy old man sport, but the whole tone of this thread is getting pretty tiresome.  Until proven otherwise, anyone who runs a single-shot match anywhere under any rules is ok with me.  You guys are edging up on otherwise!

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 7:32am
Print Post  
In 1983 I got the local Anheuser-Busch distributor, my employer, to sponsor five of us Massachusetts lads to Coors. The next year I got him to put up $500 for prize money for a Schuetzen shooting match, 100 shots, 10 per German ring target. Prizes $300, $150, $50 as I recall. My goal was to drum up interest.
An older Camp Perry Smallbore-shooting, widely experienced competitor asked if 22rf was allowed, causing me to consult with a lot of folks, including Mike Stevens who was the ASSRA Schuetzenmeister at the time. I called Mike three times, before-during-after the match. 
I told the old fellow that we couldn't allow 22rf to compete in the match. He graciously accepted this Soloman-like decision, shot the match anyhow, had a good time, did very well but would not have won.
The reason that I/we didn't allow him to compete with CF shooters boiled down to this:
In dead still conditions a rf shooter will beat an equally competent cf shooter at 200 yards on the German target in a 100 shot match. The ease of shooting/no breech seating/no recoil make the rf guy victorious when there's no wind.
Now this isn't a fact, it is the distilled opinion of the maybe 6-8 people, including Mike, that I talked to. I had no opinion, never shot offhand well, wasn't a contender.
The match winner was/is a 22rf expert who has been to and fired at Camp Perry.
During the war the 22rf was used at ranges to 300 yards; there is a Rifleman article about that.
22rf shooting can be deadly accurate, several times we saw a guy at Fairfax, Buddy Sombart?, shooting 200 yard groups that were amazing.
Old American Rifleman magazines with the Peters? almost-full-page ads with the guys at local indoor smallbore matches show what it was like when I was a kid-men used to go to matches and shoot, lots of men. I think we commited suicide with the Walthers, ray guns, and 25 cent a shot ammunition. We equipmented ourselves out of existence.
I think that 22rf matches should be handicapped by ammo cost-EX: $20 a brick is the standard, 4 cents a shot. 20 cent a shot ammo and you lose 10%? of your score.

Also, I'd like to tell you that if you think that you're nasty and vituperative in this thread, you're amateurs. Get $500 for prize money and run a match, then you'll see what nasty and vituperative are all about. It cured me, I'll help but I'll never run another match.
joe b.

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 7:53am
Print Post  
joe - I like that word "vituperative" I thought that I had a pretty good vocabulary but I had to look that one up. Hang around here and u can learn more than guns - u have a good day now - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint