Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) .22 rimfire at 200 yds. offhand (Read 20309 times)
frederick
Ex Member

.22 rimfire at 200 yds. offhand
Oct 27th, 2007 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
If I am reading correctly Dave Stahl shot a very fine 2216-4C (200 yards) at the Etta Green 2007 rimfire match. Has anyone have imput
regarding the .22 rimfire, or a .22 centerfire, being used at 200 yards
in the schuetzen "golden era"?

fred

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Re: .22 rimfire at 200 yds. offhand
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2007 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Dave is a fine offhand shooter and usually places well in our centerfire matches also - I personally have not researched it but I have been told - whatever that means - that the 22 rf was "never" (now that is a very all encompassing word) shot at 200yds offhand back in the "golden era" but it has been at EG since the start of the Spring and Fall 22 Matches.
I myself am somewhat sceptical about the "never" but cannot disprove it either.  I know that this is not much of an answer but thought that I would add fuel to the fire - u all have a good day now - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

Hold Center
Participating Member

Re: Dave Stahl's Offhand
Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2007 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
It is even more amazing to me that Dave Stahl shot 100 rounds at 100 yards offhand, then 100 rounds at 200 yards offhand, ALL IN ONE DAY MIND YOU,
AND HAD SCORES OF:  2227-8 CENTERS AT 100 YARDS, AND 2216-4 CENTERS AT 200 YARDS.   

Note:  In case you haven't noticed, that is averaging better than the 22 ring on the 25 ring target!  Outstanding shooting, to be sure!!

Talk about a marathon, This guy did it!  I was there.  Congratulations Dave!

Bill Schertz

IP Logged

Bob_Allen
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2007 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
sorry to be such a dummy here, but just how big are those 200 yd. centers ??

IP Logged

frederick
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2007 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
The "center", the 25 ring is 1.5" on the 200 yard target.

fred

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2007 at 5:42am
Print Post  
What Rifle/Ammo did he use.

Boats

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2007 at 8:31am
Print Post  
rimfire, IIRC, there WAS a 200 yd match for .22 rf back in the "Golden Age" around the turn of the last century.  I have seen references to that in both the old ASSRA News and Single Shot Exchange.  These arrticles would have to be at least 12-15 years or more ago, though, so memory is cloudy.  Again from memory, there were a couple of articles about the development of .22 LR rounds...I think they were trying to get out beyond the limits of .22 short which people HAD TRIED to shoot 200  yds outdoors.  I bet THAT was an exercise in frustration!  Roll Eyes
Anyway, it appears that there is truly nothing new under the sun, and what goes around comes around in shooting like in other human endeavors.

Regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2007 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Froggie - thanks for the update - Jim Borton has told me that the long rifle cartridge was developed to be shot at 200yds as the short and longs did not perform well enough at that distance.  Glad to know that it was shot in matches at that distance during the "golden age" that is if you can trust a frog and a green one at that - ha - thanks again - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 7:52am
Print Post  
Fredrick,

Precision Shooting had an article in the Nov 2002 issue on 200 yard offhand rimfire shooting. Lots of references to matches special ammo developed (labeled) for 200 yard shooting and rifles built for matches at those distances. It was documented with references to several publications.  Notably CS Landis book Hunting with the .22.

For example the first Winchester 52's had a receiver mounted ladder sight graduated to 300 yards.  It seems most of the activity was in the mid 1920's or well past the golden era of Schuetzen

If anybody want's a photo copy send me a private mail

Boats
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2007 at 8:24am by boats »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Bill. 

On the number of rounds in one day.  Rimfire Silhouette shooters will often shoot 4 60 shot matches in one day.  240 rounds.  You have 30 seconds per shot in NRA rules Silhouette.  That's 120 minutes for the 240 rounds.  In most Schuetzen matches we have a 45 minute relay with 15 minutes to post targets.  With a rim fire it's not much trouble to shoot 40 shots in a Schuetzen relay with 30 as about the norm. Two 10 shot targets in a single relay would be pretty slow shooting.

That means to shoot two Hudson's one at 100 and one at 200 you need 8 or 10 relays to complete the matches.  Sighters take some time too.
You need backstop room to post 4 targets plus a sighter and shoot with a predictable cadence and routine. 

There are two schools of thought on shooting quickly vs taking time between shots.  As long as carelessness or errors don't creep into the string or conditions don't hold things up faster is generally considered to be better. Fatigue is a factor and to shoot a large number of shots in one day the rifles weight is going to be an issue for most people.  It is a very good test of a shooters skill and concentration.

Boats

IP Logged

chrisj

Reply #10 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 10:56am
Print Post  
I saw an article reporting the results of a monthly match of the Davenport (IA) Shooting Association in 1908.  The article highlighted the fact that a fellow won the stich target with a shot less than a quarter inch from the center, and that he did it with a "little .22".  The matches were all at 200 yards.   

That it was remarked on indicates that it was unusual for a .22 to win, but indicates they were in use in competition at least locally at the time.  Most shooters were using .32 cal, both breechloaders and muzzleloaders.

I have also seen advice given that someone getting started in schuetzen could do well with a .22 cal.  This in an article published in the 19 teens or 20's.  Now I'll have to find it.

As far as number of shots, when I am working in Sioux City I can slip over to the range during lunch hour and put 50 shots into a target.

IP Logged

frederick
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Considering the need for new shooters and to perhaps "juice up" existing events would there be any objection to shooting the .22 rimfire
is ASSRA events at 200 yards? Is it time to change the rules?  I recall a couple of years ago Matt Carter shooting a 1024 at the ISSA International shoot under some
difficult wind conditions.

fred

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Fred,

While someone else may have another opinion I don't see much need to allow rimfires at 200 yards in the same match as centerfire Schuetzens.  We have 100 yard 100 shot matches in our local Schuetzen matches. 100 yards rimfire is a very close match to 200 yards Centerfire, score wise on the same target. Same in MOA that is. If offered and I have the time I like to shoot two Hudsons one centerfire and one rimfire.

As far as attracting new shooters thats a good thing but if the match is too difficult it could be a negative. At our Club Silouette matches we generaly let a new person shoot anything thats safe, if there equipment is not up to the  job we generaly don't see them back.

200 rimfire offhand has it's own set of problems and would be very frustrating to new or inexperenced shooters.  For example that article in PS I mentioned has details of 200 yard offhand matches they are running in a local club.  The match has to be spotted by two spotters working for the shooter, the bullet holes are so hard to resolve the competior can't do it effectively while shooting his relay.   If the wind is up they don't run the match or convert it to a prone match. Having said it's difficult and has problems I do think in perfect conditons with the right shooter and outfit it could be a way to shoot a very high score.

Of course there is nothing I see in the rules that prohibits local Clubs from setting up any course of fire they want to.  I did see WSU allows rimfires in centerfire events. I have never been to Etna Green but it seems there is a full slate of matches avalable, something for eveyone. 

Boats

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #13 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
In the ASSRA rimfire shoots, we have the option of 100 or 200 yds to shoot ANY of the typical CF matches. That was one of the reasons to separate the RF from CF matches was so we could shoot all of the matches given the space constraints of EG. Not suprisingly, we get several RF only shooters but a majority shoot both during thier respective events. 

As little as 5 years ago, ASSRA had no rimfire only match dates. Now we have two two day events so we are making changes to adapt to shooter requests. Maybe not as fast as some like, but we are making changes. 

Lets see, now we need a Martini only event. Just kidding Jim  Grin!

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Dick,

The rules have to be changed by procedures. 

You being a member should submit a written proposal to the Vice- President stating why the change would be beneficial to the ASSRA, include your Name and Member ID number so we can check to be sure you are a member in good standing, the VP will pass the proposal to the match/rules committee  and they will research it then give a recommendation to the board, that will then discuss the matter and vote on whether to change the said rules/rule.

That is how it should be done.

Keith Foster
ASSRA Board member

I had written this from memory, but have changed it as above.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2007 at 1:02pm by »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint