Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Breech Seater - break open action, again (Read 6019 times)
Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Breech Seater - break open action, again
Sep 4th, 2007 at 6:17am
Print Post  
Now that I've got my .357 barrel for my H&R handi-rifle, I NEED to do a breech seater.

I actually found (for $5 at the Hillsville Gunshow and Flea Market) a STEEL scope rail for it.

The throat is enormously long, hence it will chamber .357 Maximum although marked for Mag's.  (200 grain bullets will engrave and have CLEARANCE between the base and the mouth of the .357 Mag brass.)

Has anyone attempted this or have seen one that works well?

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Re: Breech Seater - break open action, again
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 6:32am
Print Post  
I have not done this, however, my Cousin who you met at Brushy Mt. has been talikng about trying the same thing. He had a .22hornet handi rifle at that shoot and wants to get the .357 barrel and try breech seating in it. I, myself, several years ago in a mad attempt at recreating the long dead Ballard .38 extralong, used a NEF 20 gauge as a basis. I bought a TJ liner in .375 dia and lined the shotgun. I bought a .357 max reamer and hand reamed it. I had the little rapine .375 heeled mould for it. It does fairly well w/BP in my short yard range.
I started wondering what would happen if I breech seat the thing with a heavier and longer 38-55 bullet. Once I get my mould I have on order, I plan on trying it. I will only use BP in that gun because of the action being for a shotgun and the cautions I have read about the limitations of it. I do have a H&R 1871 Buffalo rifle but haven't tried to put my "38 X-long barrel on it, but the thought has occured. That action would handle smokeless breech seated loads.
Interested in how it goes!
MerwinBray

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 7:48am
Print Post  
Cat two things here.  you need a bullet that fits properly.  It is possable but not likely you can find a stock mold to fit that rifle. But best to go ahead and get one thats fitted to the chamber.

On the mechanical seater itself.  Plugged cases work fine with break actions,  Just put a brass rod inside a fired case. File it down to seat the bullet were you want it.

Boats

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Cat,

Did you get in on the "lesson" (discussion, really) at Brshy Mtn. on how to determine whether a bullet is seated and sealing properly?  If yes, you can seat such a bullet, then mark a dowel or whatever to the proper length and make a simple "push seater" using a rod and knob or even an old screwdriver.  I have been told repeatedly that you DON'T have to have the bullet crammed in tightly for a good seal...if it fits the throat properly it should almost drop into place. (and yet I insist on using a mechanical seater to force in an oversized bullet.  Roll Eyes )

Now for the details.  First, what is the groove diameter of this barrel, and second what is the twist?  Slugging and measuring twist are a couple of things I am sure you already know how to do, and those, along with a good chamber cast, will get you ready to run through the steps above easiy as soon as you have a properly fit bullet.  Be sure and PM or e-mail if you need any further details.

Froggie

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 6:20am
Print Post  
I'm working on two angles now that may help.

Groove/bore are .358/.350 give or take a whisker, well - 1/3 of a whisker.  Bullet diameters I've tried are running .358 to .360 .

Alloy is likely to be a bit hard being 50/50 lead/WW AC.

Haven't measrued the twist yet, it is however much faster than the 1:16 in my .35 Whelen 700 Rem.

The other issue is the length of the throat - 200 gr bullet will float free and clear between the end of the case and the point of engaging the rifling.  (200 gr bullets being longer are working much better than anythign lighter.)

I made a push seater from a 30-30 opened up to .375 Win and sized with a .357mag sizer then opened up with a .358-.360 mandrel.  Even .200" longer than the .357 mag case it's almost long enough.  Problem comes with the slight tapering of the chamber in not having much clearance to allow it to position the bullet forward enough to push it into the rifling.

So I'm chasing a couple of alternatives - one is to make a mould that is 90% bore riding with one band so it will self-align in the rifling and then seal on the one and only base band.  Another is to cast/swage a longer bullet that will still be a little in the case when it engages the rifling.  A third alternative is to round up some .357 Max cases, but they're only 1/10" longer as I understand.

Hmmm.  The .458WM is calling me.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 8:27am
Print Post  
I smell a MAJOR bench session coming up at Brushy Mtn!  When will you get there this time?  If you want to stay around for an evening after you shoot, we can do a bunch of head scratching and experimenting with a bunch of us to contribute to the confusion.  bring along samples of whatever bullets you have cast and whatever seaters, etc. you have produced and we'll come up with SOMEthing, even if it's wrong!  Wink

Froggie

PS  I'd be partial to a softer bullet...do you have any 30-1 made up or the metals to make some?  If not, I might think about a 3-1 or even 4-1 mix with that WW so I could get the antimony %-age down.  JMHO

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Cat
Try 222 Rimmed then you can trim them down to correct length. Blow them out with a light load and some corn meal and then retrim.

40 Rod

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Cat,
Do you only need a couple of .357 max cases or 50 or so? I can send you a few if you are just looking for experimentation. Just let me know. They are from my .38 ballard xlong experiment and I have a few unfired. 
Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Sep 5th, 2007 at 8:55am:
Cat
Try 222 Rimmed then you can trim them down to correct length. Blow them out with a light load and some corn meal and then retrim.

40 Rod

Without measuring, I would think that would give me the extra length and a little bit thinner wall thickness.  Certainly an option.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
MerwinBray wrote on Sep 5th, 2007 at 5:57pm:
Cat,
Do you only need a couple of .357 max cases or 50 or so? I can send you a few if you are just looking for experimentation. Just let me know. They are from my .38 ballard xlong experiment and I have a few unfired. 
Merwin

I need to determine IF it would work first.  I think, though, that my next step is to make a breech seater that gives support as needed (which the case I'm using now doesn't and it's longer than a max case).

THANKS though!

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2007 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Here's the chamber cast:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

About .600" between the mouth of the case and the start of the rifling.

That IS a .357 case.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint