Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic CLEANING (Read 3529 times)
nrar15
Ex Member

CLEANING
Sep 3rd, 2007 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
New to BP shooting and would like to here what everyone here uses to clean between shots, and after a day of fun at the range. have been getting an education on this board. I think I'm getting a BP  bug Cry. Thanks for all the help. Anyone here from central Indiana, Know where there are some shoots close by.
Bob

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Re: CLEANING
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Oh this will generate a bunch of replies.

I generally use a Texas Bore Pig between shots.   It is a nylon (or bronze - your choice) bristle bursh with a short pad of that helps carry water (or whatever), and a rubber squeege on the back.  I push this through from breech to muzzle with one pass of a dry cotton patch on a jag.   

I use only water to dampen the pigs. 

After shooting, push three pigs though and then an extra dry patch followed by a Hoppes patch and then an oiled patch.  Wipe down the exterior and we are good to go.

Brent

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
I run a barely damp cotton patch through after each shot.

Clean the bore with regular bore cleaning stuff or windshield washer stuff, then oil well.

Put cases in vinager, when done fizzing I run them in the vibrtory cleaner then put them away.

IP Logged

PowderFlask2
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
What kind of shoots are you looking for?

IP Logged

nrar15
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
I've got a trapdoor would like to find a BP shoot somewhere close to check out and see what it is all about. Do not know if I'll shoot just want to get some info on trapdoors and get mine to shoot better.
THANKS
Bob

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Bob, 
You might post your location.  Chances are there are a few folks in your neighborhood with Tdoor experience.  They have a few special issues that many other species of rifle do not.  They are not easily cleaned from the breach for instance.   

Brent

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 5:00am
Print Post  
For a couple of years now I have been using plain distilled water on patches until they come out white followed with a dry patch. I follow that with Ed's Red bore cleaner and leave the bore damp with it due to the oil in it. My bores remain as shiny as ever.
I have used winshield wiper fluid, Windex with vinegar, Ed's Red alone, etc. and they have all worked. Water-based fluid and esp. those which are acidic need to be followed with some type of oil.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 8:12am
Print Post  
My Schuetzen routine with the 38/55 and black is much more extensive than with the Trapdoor.  Potential accucary is a lot greater and breech seating need to have a perfectly clean leade each shot. Plus Schuetzen matches as fired by ASSRA have plenty of cleaning time.

When shooting the trapdoor for accucary.  I use a well fitted jag and one wet cloth patch. Will keep some wetted down in a tin round box. Stick the rod down the muzzle with a plug thats turned to bore diamaiter outside and rod diamater inside.  Give it a few runs up and down and thats it.

Potential with a Trapdoor is somewere between 3 and 4 moa.  Not to say I have not shot some 2 inch groups at times but they are the exception rather than the rule.  If you don't keep the rifles bore clean 4 will drift to 6 or more with flyers.   

The Trapdoors that used to shoot very well at Fairfax Va using light bullets and pistol powder would do better.  I think the range record on full size rams hung on swingers at 200 yards was 36 out of 40 hit offhand with a trapdoor.  Rams at that distance are about 10 moa high by 20 moa wide. Plenty wide however a 4 moa rifle will have trouble hitting them consistently offhand.

Look at it another way I shot the Cadet model over the highpower course using cross sticks for prone.  It held the paper using that Carbine bullet at 1000 Yards. While the Sharps target rifles held the bullseye and won everything. Now the only thing I use that rifle for is big bore or millitary rifle side matches held as part of Schuetzen events.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint