Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Gove underlever (Read 34345 times)
j sells

Life is too short to rush

Gove underlever
Sep 2nd, 2007 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
I finished my winter project yesterday. A single shot rifle is about the only thing I ever finish early. Thought I'd share a pic. I tried to copy the one on pg. 3 of Roy Marcots book History of Rem. Firearms.

Jerry

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Gove underlever
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2007 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
great looking rifle and project.  I'd suggest writing it up and sending the story and pics to John at the Journal.  I'm sure there are more than a few of us who'd like to know a bunch more about the project that can be shown/told here.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2007 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
A mighty fine-lookin' rifle!

But tell us true now, just exactly which winter was this project originally scheduled for, and did you really finish it early?

The only project I ever finish early is the one where I sit down to relax & think about things......
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Dave_Carpenter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2007 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
A nice rifle, good job.  You could buy this one and have a pair.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

j sells

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2007 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Joe, You know a lot about my winters. I've had a set of machinist drawings for a couple. The intent has been in my noggin for some time, finally got 0 2it.. Thanks for kind words men. Dave , Thanks for the link, really sheds some light on how Gove did the originals. I couldn't tell from pics in Roy's book. Jerry

Jerry

IP Logged

uteeqtee
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2007 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
..add my second to DWS8130's suggestion:  I'd love to read about this project.  BTW, what is the caliber?  Have you had it to the range, yet?  Gorgeous work! Smiley
--Tommy

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
That's a wonderful gun! A very fine project, and true to the original too from what I see!
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2008 at 8:38pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

Doug_Nelson

Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
A nice rifle, good job.  You could buy this one and have a pair.

The two Gove underlevers at Rock Island, the one you linked to and the Creedmoor, sold for $34,500 each (gavel price $30k + 15%)!

Doug Nelson

IP Logged

trev

Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2007 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Mr. Sells,

Did you have drawings to work from, or just wing it?

I really like the overall look of that. 

When the time comes that I have 35large to spend (re:the original at auction), I pretty much figger I'll use it to pay down the mortgage, so my only real hope is to bottom feed and put in the labour myself.

I would really like to see some close-ups of the projeact, as well as some views of the internals.   

Very nice looking work. Does it shoot?

Cheers
  Trev

IP Logged

j sells

Reply #9 - Sep 13th, 2007 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Trev, I had set of machinist drawings that got me in the ballpark. They weren't precise and I had to work some things out. The lever was a casting. The hardest part is getting the lever and block timed so both are in right position when in either open or closed. The drawings really don't show how the lever spring is supposed to work. I made a modular spring housing something like a 1911 mainspring housing. Made a little plunger that extends from it and when lever is closed the plunger goes into a detent in front. The front triggerguard screw holds this in by passing through a machined channel in top of spring housing.. The double sets were installed in the action by Dave at Lonestar. I then modified the trigger guard to accept the lever, also had to modify trigger return spring. Also made and welded in new trigger shoes to more resemble the originals. I can send better pics to you if you want, I just couldn't get them on this site. just Jerry no Mr.

Jerry

IP Logged

j sells

Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2007 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Forgot this, the cal is 50-70 and it does really shoot. I haven't had it out for long range yet but I sure have cleaned up rocks in woods behind my shop. If I do my part it does also. Don't do much long range here. In WV a hundred yard shot is a long one, usually not that far to next Mt. Deer are usually got less than 50 yds, and the 50 takes away a lot of blood trailing. Big bullet dead deer. Jerry

Jerry

IP Logged

trev

Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2007 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Thanks Jerry, 

Really would like to see a few pics. I'll PM you my Email address at home.

Whose drawings? Still available, or just a copy of some working drawings?

Whose casting for the lever?

Jeez! At the rate I'm asking questions, I might end up writing the article Grin

I have got myself a Swedish Rolling Block shotgun, for a price that makes the risks of cutting things too far, quite acceptable. 

I am looking at the least, to be rebarrelling it, and from there....Who's to know?
Was hoping it would have been in todays mail, but it was not, so I have one more thing to look forward to, tommorrow.

Cheers
  Trev

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Sep 14th, 2007 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Jerry:

It  looks like good work and is a really handsome rifle.   I like the choice of chambering as well. All in all methinks you have built yourself a rifle to be proud of. Congratulations.

Glenn Fewless

IP Logged

Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Sep 16th, 2007 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Very nice rifle & in a very traditional calibre to boot!

Agree w/ what other posted 'bout a Journal article.

Again, nice work....

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

mdeland
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Morning Gents, am new to the site and heard about a Gove conversion discussion over here and wanted to find out where to get some prints of how it was done. I have a # 5 Remington I picked up last winter and would like to do the conversion myself. 
   I have a home machine shop and have just procured the equipment and learned how to recase  in the  last two years so will be able to handle all aspects of the conversion and refinish at home. Any help in this endeavor would be muchly appreciated. M DeLand

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint