Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Gove underlever (Read 34380 times)
mdeland
Ex Member

Re: Gove underlever
Reply #45 - Feb 10th, 2008 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
    JS, your pictures have moved me to action. I found a fellow shooting buddy and home machinest with a full set of roller drawings complete with Gove conversion dimensions including full single set a double sets as well. I have a couple of things I wanted to talk to you about.
!. I notice none of the Goves I've seen include a pistol grip and the lever loop makes up for this some what. Can you see any reason why a pistol grip with commensurate fitting lever could not be used?
2. The link seems to make contact with the back of the block woodruff cut in conjuction with the pin in the drawing but has clearance on the other end in the lever. Is it supposed to make contact to relieve presure on the pin ?
3. Will the breech block spring hold up the lever if all is made and fit well with the link and pins? I don't see any thing in the original drawing like your plunger in the picture to help hold it in place with the hammer back. MD

IP Logged

mdeland
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Feb 12th, 2008 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
   Well, I took my Rem roller apart last night and forgot about the mechanical firing pin retractor which I want to retain and it's mortise cut is smack in the way of where the link cut needs to be made on the block for the Gove conversion. Looks like the only way to make it into an under lever bastardized Gove is to double link it like DeHaas shows in his book. This development kinda dampens my enthusiasm on the project. Gotta do some more thinking on this deal now. MD

IP Logged

j sells

Life is too short to rush

Reply #47 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Mdeland, All the Goves I've built do not have the firing pin retractor. The original sporters didn't have this feature so I find it not a problem. I just check the firing pin occasionally to make sure it still moves freely. I've fired many thousand rounds through different rollers with never a mishap with the firing pin. Like any firearm just clean, respect and check. Jerry

Jerry

IP Logged

j sells

Reply #48 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Just read the other post before last. The original block spring is elimated when the lever slot is cut in. I have the same drawings you spoke about and there is no retainer system shown. The lever will not stay up unless some type of retainer is used. I talked with Dave Higgenbottom about this and he said he ended up using a spring similar to flat spring Hi Wall. As for a pistol grip version Lone Star used to do these. Pic on their web site.The original Goves did not have pistol grips, that I have found any reference to. As for the link pin, I don't use a woodruf cutter any more just a 3/16 end mill. I don't know if contact was the intention or not. Jerry

Jerry

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 10:41am
Print Post  
The Gove underlever Rolling Block makes for an attractive rifle when you see it fully stocked.  Here is a picture that shows the Gove in a sporting configuration.  Enjoy

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Cool    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

j sells

Reply #50 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Some pics of the first one posted along with assembled gun from parts previously pictured. I need to finish cosmetics and send action, butteplate and forend cap to classic guns for CC. Been a little slow getting the last one done. Jerry

Jerry

IP Logged

j sells

Reply #51 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Another,

Jerry

IP Logged

mdeland
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
  Thanks for the pictures Jerry, and nice work! Did you also pour the forearm cap and what did you use for metal? MD

IP Logged

j sells

Reply #53 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
MD, Used solid solder from Lowes, the no lead stuff. I've had good results with it. Jerry

Jerry

IP Logged

mdeland
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
  Jerry, when you oct your receiver ring do you mount the barrel first and mill the receiver to match? My prints show the flats at .430 in width but this didn't work at all with the larger ring my action has. I notice your shoulder cuts match up with the barrel  flats as well. MD

IP Logged

j sells

Reply #55 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
MD, I use a short piece of threaded oct barrel when I machine the tops oct.  I have a threaded piece for large shank and one for small shank. Snug them tight. The finished Gove is machined and has a 1 1/8 inch straight oct barrel. The unfinished Gove is an original sporter action with a Pedersoli take off that is a little bigger than no 4 size. When machining the top of a military action I try to leave as much meat around the barrel as possible. Just so corners mate up. Don't really try to machine to specs of original sporter just close. If using a larger than normal barrel I have machined them flush. I use a carbide 1/2 inch center cutting mill in my vertical mill. Jerry

Jerry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint