Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Gove underlever (Read 34360 times)
mdeland
Ex Member

Re: Gove underlever
Reply #15 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
   Thanks for the puter link Mr. Carpenter.  I see there is a single heavy link to the block from the finger lever and it is not directly levered to the block as I was told. I presume the front screw is the lever pivot also, no? 
  I plan on forging my finger lever like one I saw in a picture sent to me that reminds me of a Hawkin trigger guard and is quite attractive.
   I have never made a double set trigger before but think that it might be a neat thing to try on this conversion as the ones pictured here are very becoming. I would like to make one that fires from the back trigger in a reversal of normal double set trigger function. I have a Thompson Center Patriot pistol that is so set up and can probably  pattern this one from that design I have in hand.
  The first thing I will need to do is make a half action mock up with located pin holes so as to be able to proportion all moving parts and see there relation to one another. I'm getting very excited about trying this project on for size this winter so any information will be very greatefully considered. 
   I don't even have a definite caliber in mind yet but the 50-70 has been getting my attention of late after a friend gave me a loaded round. M. Deland

IP Logged

j sells

Life is too short to rush

Reply #16 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
The Gove I built has a separate pin to rotate the lever. The pics of the original are definately somewhat different than the prints I used to build mine. I would love to see the innards of the original. I have built three, 2 with single triggers and this one with doubles. The lever and block are attached with a link. The geometry of pin holes and length of link is critical as to lockup. A few thousandths makes a big difference. I bought the prints off e bay. Frontier armory in Ok. supplies drawings with their lever castings, only drawback, you should have contacted them a year ago and you might have received them before this winters end. As for cal. all three were 50-70s. which is fast becoming one of my favorite cart. Jerry

Jerry

IP Logged

mdeland
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
    Thanks for the reply Jerry and I see what you mean about link pin  position on both the finger lever and block being critical so the swing rations don't conflict and cause a bind. The half action jigs I have learned to make for these reciever projects have sure proven to be a time saver when having to fabricate parts and is a good idea even if one has drawings. The flat sided roller jig will be easy to make as the location of pin holes will be taken directly from it  clamped to a piece of flat stock. I then can make mock up parts so as to establish link length and pin location. 
    I just learned to do this while overhauling a Uberti Highwall and making a cc set trigger for it. I would have saved a lot of time had I made the jig from the begining. The long lever sear needed for set triggers and it's relation to the fly and hammer was a real bugaboo for me to get worked out having only pictures as a guide.
    I made my set triggers from A-2 but if one could buy them already cast in rough form with the basic shape it sure would save a lot of time. My problem will be that I want a reverse fire set up like in the Patriot pistol and will probably be forced to make them from scratch again.  The CCset for the Uberti came out well and was my first attempt at making set triggers.  I have not done either a single set or double set before. Having the Patriot pistol to break down and copy should make the job much easier. MD

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
I love your rifle great job. Does the hammer cock with the lever?
One other old west gunsmith made thee and even had a patent on it, that was the Fruend brothers. Fruend and Gove seemed to work on the same type of rifles, Rollers, Sharps, and Ballards and Fruend had patents on all of these modles with simple improvements. I have seen the patent drawings but not an actual rifle. Some day one will turn up.
Mike

IP Logged

j sells

Reply #19 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 10:02am
Print Post  
The lever does not cock the hammer. My feeble mind can't see any way for this to happen in a roller. From what I've read the originals didn/t either. The lever mechanism was installed to chamber the old copper cartridges of the day. This gave more leverage for inserting the shells, especially in a dirty gun. The old buff hunters didn't appreciate having to stop and make gun take a shell. Also the ramrod was to punch out a stuck shell. These modifications were originally for utility. Two originals were sold at auction earlier last year.I think they were from Frank Sellers collection.Thanks for kind words. Jerry

Jerry

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Jerry, Fruends rifle did cock the hammer. I'll see if I can find my copy of the patent. I pulled it up over a year ago of the U S Patent data base. 
Mike

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
I believe that Frank de Haas, in one of his books, shows the design of a Belgian (I believe) roller that cocked the hammer via struts and then rolled the block back via leverage against a lower block extension. Actually a rather simple design but would require lots of bench work for the prototype today.

I believe he also showed another lever-action roller design with a separate locking block, one that didn't depend upon the hammer alone.

The main problem with these improved roller designs is that they didn't come along until later, when many stronger, lighter, safer actions were available.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #22 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 10:11am
Print Post  
The Belgian action JDS refers to is the Nagant, US patent 286,726 (1883). The hammer is separate from the block which locks the breech, and both rotate on the same pin. The underlever is part of the locking block, and it tips back the breech in the way JDS describes.

I had not read that Freund did a roller modifications, but with Google's patent search, I see now he did several. In US patent 160,172 (1875) {typo! see my next post}, he describes a design where an underlever first cocks the hammer before opening the breech, and I'll want to study this one further. The same patent includes a provision to retract and lock the firing pin, an idea he also addresses in patent 162,224 of the same year.
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2008 at 12:05pm by KWK »  

Karl
IP Logged

trev

Reply #23 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 10:44am
Print Post  
I am looking at a patent drawing of an "automatic" Rolling Block. It is the Fruend, number 160,762 

All I can think, was "Wow!" 

It looks like a complicated and fragile means to an end resut. The linkages that actuate everything look especially tough to build, I think...

Not too tough to figure why there are not a lot of them around. The design takes all the simplicity right out of a Rolling Block design.

Cheers
  Trev

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #24 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Ooops, typo on my part: 160,762 is the patent I was (trying) to refer to, not 160,172.

Most of the little parts are for the firing pin lock. He has other patents along this line. I gather a fair number of people were having rolling blocks go "bang" when they weren't expecting it.

Another feature included in 160,762 is self cocking. The hammer is nudged back when the underlever presses on a spur off the bottom of the hammer. After the hammer is back, the lever (which doubles as the trigger guard) then engages the breech and rolls it back. The lever is hinged on the breech pin and is forked where the hammer spur passes through. Once the hammer is back far enough to be reach the sear tip, it slips through the fork; careful fitting would be needed to ensure the hammer hasn't far to drop onto the sear after it slips loose.

I agree the cocking feature is mostly a solution in search of a problem. There were simpler solutions for firing pin retractors, as shown in de Hass's books.

Karl
IP Logged

j sells

Reply #25 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Keep in mind that this is a Gove Underlever, from what I've read Gove bought rights to Freund's patent. They might have had the cocking mechanism in their patent but this doesn't mean Gove put it in the ones he built. In looking again of pics of the original Gove it seems to be set up without the cocking addition. It takes all the lever movement just to roll the block, thus the hammer has to be cocked before the block even moves. From what I can tell from the pics his link is set up just like the ones I built. The machinest drawings I have are supposed to be a copy of the original set up. Jerry

Jerry

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #26 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
The patent I've been discussing does not have links between the lever and the breech, so this is not the one Gove used. What do the links do? It seems to me an under lever could be made as an extension of the breech block.

Karl
IP Logged

j sells

Reply #27 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 2:36am
Print Post  
The block and lever are connected by a link. The link is pinned to the block and lever. The block has a slot machined for the link to fit with a pin thru both, as does the lever. The geometry of this part is very critical as to the block being closed with lever up, and then open enough with lever down for the cartridge to clear. JS

Jerry

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #28 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 5:53am
Print Post  
The only advantage I can see to that arrangement is the lever can be pinned lower in the receiver, allowing one to keep the bottom of the action more closed to the outside. Making the lever a simple extension off the bottom of the breech would require a much larger opening in the receiver bottom.

Karl
IP Logged

Gussy
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Jan 15th, 2008 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The block and lever are connected by a link. The link is pinned to the block and lever. The block has a slot machined for the link to fit with a pin thru both, as does the lever. The geometry of this part is very critical as to the block being closed with lever up, and then open enough with lever down for the cartridge to clear. JS

I have been looking for drawings or photos of the conversion you made.  If you ever have that action apart, I would really appreciate seeing photos of the block/link/lever.  I have a roller waiting for the conversion.  I prefer that to the toilet handle version  Roll Eyes.
Thanks,
Gus

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint