Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) .22 Ammo (Read 27066 times)
Black_Prince
Ex Member

Re: .22 Ammo
Reply #45 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 9:02am
Print Post  
JD

You and Brent may have opened a can of worms here.  I have an Excel spread sheet going back about nine years to compare group sizes with different ammo brands and lot numbers fired in specific rifles.  I shoot 10 shot groups and measure the outside spread of each group.  

Many times I'll have a 5/8 inch group with nine shots and one will blow the group out to one and an eighth inch.  That group is recorded as being one and an eight inch.  It seems to me that if you do anything otherwise, it will throw all of the comparative information out the window.

I have a general working knowledge of statistical formulas as applied to economic analysis and have them programmed into an Excel spread sheet to calculate various things.  Some of you who are more adept at such things may know how to do comparative accuracy testing without including all shots fired in the group, but I don't. It would be a fatal flaw in the data collection and comparison to do anything less, but then, I'm not a statistician and I don't know everything about this subject.  What little I do know leads me to believe statistics gives a decision making edge where experience does not serve or is missing. The numbers are unemotional and without prejudice.

So will someone please explain to me how you can do comparative accuracy testing and not include all shots, including flyers, in your data collection and statistical analysis?  If I dropped the flyers out of my data, I could look like a better shooter than I am.  The only trouble with that approach is the scoring judges count those flyers at matches around here.

What is wrong with those guys?
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2007 at 9:12am by »  

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 9:19am
Print Post  
The only time I don't count flyers when testing ammo for accuracy or working on a rifle to tune it is when I call a flyer...when I know without checking the spotting scope that I've pulled one out of a group.  Of course, in a match, they all count, but that's an entirely different kettle of fish!

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 9:46am
Print Post  
To my mind, if you can honestly "call" a flier out because you KNOW you shot it wrong, it's one thing---basically an AD because you misread the wind or something. 
  However when seriously testing ammo its the frequency of "non-shooter induced fliers" caused by mfg variations that we are specifically trying to identify in order to determine quality of brands and batches.
  Some ammo just won't group worth squat in a given rifle. Then there is the heartbreaking inconsistant good stuff that will shoot 80 or 90% into nice tight groups then throw the odd round or two outside somewhere.   Seems like the lower end target grade stuff is good but inconsistant the big buck stuff is both good AND consistantly so.
I've been shooting Wolf a lot.  In general, (for me and my rifles that is) the M/T and the M/E seem to shoot about the same size  groups,  the difference between them is that the M/E produces fewer "fliers"

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Quote:
JD
 If I dropped the flyers out of my data, I could look like a better shooter than I am.

You have reached the core of the problem IMO. It's all too easy to fudge the numbers in one's mind, in order to make the story better. Most of the time it may be subconscious but most folks do it to some degree or other, my Father-In-Law had this problem and he passed the gene on to his daughter...

I save all test targets. All. And I keep a running record of group sizes & averages, two ways. One way includes all shots and the other way excludes but records the frequency and magnitude of any single flyer in each group. That gives me some idea about not only the average accuracy but also the consistency of each ammo.

Another productive trick is to number each shot in a group, as it forms. This means testing at a range long enough to ensure adequate separation of shots, and then marking-up a dummy target at the bench as you observe each shot through the spotting scope. I've discovered and analyzed several different kinds of problems simply by using this procedure. Of course first-shot problems are easy to spot anyway IF they are obvious, but this trick will show other problems in other areas also.

IMO a shot accurately 'called' out of the group is not a flyer. A flyer is an unexpected departure from the group, presumably not shooter-induced or at least not on a conscious level.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Black_Prince
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
JD

It looks like you are as anal about this as I am.  I keep all my targets arranged by month, by year, and compare groups fired in the same month and year just for the heck of looking at the data that way to see if there is any correlation to group sizes I fired this year in May with those I fired last year in May with the same ammo and rifle.  

I also note the velocity of each round fired and where it strikes the target.  I correlate the velocity SD with the group size SD.  I throw out the high and the low velocity and then take a measurement of the group size without those being included.  I correlate those group sizes with those that include the high and low velocity.  I look at every statistical aspect Excel is capable of including in its formula programming just because it's easy to do once you write the formulas and put them into a cell, column, or row.  Then all I have to do is put in the data and there are all of these crunched numbers to play with and graphs to look at.

But I never fool myself by thinking I am any better shooter than the simple average (mean) says I am because on any given day, that is what I am going to shoot.  Try as I might, I have not figured out a way to use all of those numbers to make me shoot a dam bit better and when I blow a match and tell the judges what my average is, they just smile and wish me better luck next time.  Those rascals only count the bullet holes in the target I shot that day during the match.  They are completely unreasonable, or have you noticed that? 
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2007 at 2:31pm by »  

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #50 - Sep 8th, 2007 at 1:22am
Print Post  
greetings all,

please reread my post, i said,

"so for match shooting, spend the buck, by the good stuff. the lack of fliers make it worth the price. " 

and from that, brent said he measures fliers in his groups. don't know what the 'L' that has to do with shooting the better stuff in a match. but, i will say, 'good for you' you should include flyers in the group when shooting a match. 

..ttfn..grampa..

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Sep 8th, 2007 at 5:29am
Print Post  
Quote:
JD

So will someone please explain to me how you can do comparative accuracy testing and not include all shots, including flyers, in your data collection and statistical analysis?  If I dropped the flyers out of my data, I could look like a better shooter than I am.  The only trouble with that approach is the scoring judges count those flyers at matches around here.

What is wrong with those guys?

If I honk one out and call it out before looking through the scope, I don't include it in the group. My (arbitrary) rule.
With some revolvers, one chamber may throw a shot out of the group. I record "6 shot group size" and "best five shot group size".
With, particularly a Ruger MK II, the first shot in 10 shot 50 and 100 yard groups is often out of the group. I'm trying to find out why and fix it, frequently measure "10 shot" and "best 9 shot" groups.
With 22 RF ammunition I find big weight variation in loaded ctgs, little weight variation in fired cases.   
I wonder if it is possible to weigh/measure the 22 ctgs. and see which are "fliers".
joe brennan

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Sep 8th, 2007 at 9:25am
Print Post  
JoeB, with a revolver it's A Good Practice to test each chamber for accuracy and mark the least and most accurate ones. This was SOP before the advent of accurate semiautos.

In your Ruger Mk II, IMO a rebarrel is your best bet. I say this from the perspective of one whose Standard American Slow Fire average is still in the low 90s, IMO the Ruger barrels make good trot line sinkers but that's about all.

You'll never be able to tell the difference in the various 22 ammos in a handgun from the offhand position or even from sandbags, it's doable only from a machine rest. And the 'accuracy' is largely immaterial anyway since the shooter's INaccuracy is the determining factor in pistol shooting. If you'll use an ammo that's 100% reliable and one in which you have reasonable confidence, and spend your 'accuracy testing' time in more practice, you'll do as well as can be expected.

Come to think of it, that advice is good for rifles too.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint