Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) .22 Ammo (Read 27050 times)
Black_Prince
Ex Member

Re: .22 Ammo
Reply #30 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
You got it 40-Rod.  That is why I use the little tool that puts a flat on the bullet nose that looks exactly like the flat on the Eley Match EPS.  I don't know what it does or how it does it, but it works and it is probably why that flat is on the Eley EPS match bullet. It increases accuracy of cheap cartridges so that I am able to shoot and practice so much that I can "think off" the shot because I can control the trigger so well.  Having that level of control and familiarity with my rifle contributes more to better scores for me than a small gain in over all accuracy from the super match cartridges available. The Eley yellow box is about as good a cartridge as I can use in a match because I can not shoot any better than those anyway.

But if you are a top rung shooter, any incremental gain in accuracy can be used to improve your scores.  If you are at my level, more practice and familiarity with my rifle is of more benefit to me since I can not take advantage of a small incremental accuracy gain because I don't have the skill level required to do that.

Many people don't put as much time and preparation into the mental part of shooting as they do in the hardware part.  The top pistol shooters I knew and know are big believers in the "see it perfect" line of thinking and I used to go through the entire match in my mind before even stepping into my squad relay at the match.  Having a calm state of mind and being relaxed is a big benefit to any shooter.  

I always try to shoot well. I even fanaticize that I can shoot with the top rifle guys.  But knowing that I am not expected to do that takes the pressure off and allows me to just shoot and enjoy it.  That contributes more to me shooting well than any other single thing.  

I know there are guys out there who can take advantage of the accuracy potential of the Eley EPS match cartridge and God bless'em all. 

I just ain't one of'em.  So sue me.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2007 at 1:19pm by »  

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
I bought Boulters book and sent it to rudi for the archives after reading it. Very Interesting reading.  He does a bunch of testing of a pretty inclusive selection of ammo. and his thoughts and comments on chambers etc are valuable
HOWEVER  his results are only realtive to his specific lots of the various brands and only to his specific rifles.   we all know how much variation there is between rifles, ammo lots, and the rifles individual "preferences"
AND most of his testing is at 50 and 100 yards.

collective experience in the EG 200 yard rimfire matches seems to me to indicate that 100 yard results may, or may not, reflect what happens at 200.

Only testing in your rifle at the ranges you intend to compete at will give valid results.

A further consideration:  for offhand (as opposd to bench rest matches), bore time may be as big or bigger factor that sheer "cone of accuracy" results

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
DWS8130, I agree entirely that 100 yd results will not necessarily translate to 200 yds.  At 100 yds, Wolf ME is very close to as accurate as Eley EPS in my low wall.  Not quite, but close.  At 200 yds, it is not close any more.  EPS wins hands down.   

I think that is well known in the centerfire world too.   The best load at 200 yds may not be the best load at 1000.  Just depends.   

Brent

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Aug 30th, 2007 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Brent,  I just reread that and caught the "centerfire" on the second reading,  thought you might be testing 22rfs at 1K yards Wink wind drift'd be a bugger.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #34 - Aug 30th, 2007 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
I made my own tool to flat point .22 rimfires for squirrel hunting. Now, it is well known that I prefer the 25/20 Winchester for squirrel hunting (with my cast bullets, of course). That said, the Hanned style flat pointing seriously improves the .22 rimfire for hunting of edible small game. It has MUCH greater "stopping power" without the accompanying meat damage that a high speed hollow point gives. That really should not be surprise to those of us who hunt big game with handguns and relatively low powered black powder rifles. Flat points ARE the way to go as has been proved many, many times. 

Dale53

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 7:38am
Print Post  
Dale have you tried hollow point subsonics from Eley, Lapua or Remington?  They will get you exactly what you want, no muss, no fuss.

Brent

IP Logged

chrisj

Reply #36 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Quote:
Dale have you tried hollow point subsonics from Eley, Lapua or Remington? 

But Brent, that wouldn't involve tinkering.

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #37 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Just an FYI since I'm kind of a crossover in that I love and shoot all manner of single shot guns but all summer I shoot registered IR 50/50 matches. Several folks here are mentally where the .22 BR community was about 5 years ago trying to convince yourself about lower priced ammo being "just as good". It ain't so. Now don't get me wrong, if your only a fair or new shot, have real basic equipment, just like to get out with the guys on occasion, then whatever floats your boat. If you want to shoot at your personal highest level, nothing, I repeat nothing will substitute for the better grades of ELEY and Lapua. This has been tested and proven time after time. Nobody likes the prices, hell I bought 7 cases of Eley last year to compete so I know.
 Also the good news, the latest Eley expeted in the next 30 days or so will be 15% higher. Cry

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

horsefly
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Good morning, Board;

The original question was about results at 100 and 200 yards.  A few months ago, I had the same kind of question come up about some Green Tag that I had used at a match (22rimfire silhouette).  On my part, it was a quick put together and the only thing I could get locally and quickly was the Green Tag.

At the match, I did reasonably well up to and including 150 yards.  At 200, I was all over the place.  I'd hit one and the next shot would be somewhere..... just somewhere.  Most of them kicked up dirt.

So, to see if it was really the ammo or just me, I found some Wolfe ME and compared it to the Green Tag.

I did it one cool still morning at about 7:00.  Condidtions were perfect.

I did the shooting off the bench with a Winchester 52D and Redfield Olympic sights.

At 100 yards, I fired ten conditioning shots with the Green Tag and then shot for group.  Then I fired ten conditioning shots with the ME and shot again.  The record groups were ten rounds each.

At 200 yards I fired the ME group and then fired ten conditioning rounds with the Green Tag and then fired a 10 shot group for record.

The 100 yards control group with ME measured almost exactly one inch center to center.  The Green Tag group was right at two inches.  Both groups were evenly distributed and round.

The 200 yard control group with ME measured very close to 2.1 inches center to center and was evenly distributed and round.  Now, for the surprise:  The green tag group had four rounds in the center in a group of about four inches.  There were not enough holes to comment on distribution.  The other six holes were in a rough circle eight to ten inches in diameter surrounding the center four.

The ME performed extremely well and I have since bought a lot more of it.  But the real interest here is the Green Tag.  Four of the bullets performed as expected at 200.  The four inch group was within the expected "cone of fire".  The six bullets surrounding the group of four were not.  My conclusion is that the Green Tag became unstable somewhere past 150 yards.  Remember, at the first, I said it did well on the 150 yard silhouettes, but not the 200.

I have seen centerfire (BPCR) bullets seem to do the same thing on the longer targets at and past 500 meters.

So, I guess the story has two moral points:

1.  If you want to know what a load will do at a distance, shoot it at that distance.

2.  There is no limit to good excuses to be found if you really want to do the work!

Y'all be good.

horsefly

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 11:12am
Print Post  
chrisj wrote on Aug 31st, 2007 at 11:04am:
Quote:
Dale have you tried hollow point subsonics from Eley, Lapua or Remington? 

But Brent, that wouldn't involve tinkering.

Well there is that.  For sure.

the Eley/Lapua etc. hollowpoint ammo is not all that expensive.  For hunting ammo, it is down right cheap.

I wish more folks had the "cheap ammo is just as good" mentality.  It would help me a lot.  In general, one is lucky to get what one pays for, and more often than not, one gets a bit less.  Ammo is like that too.   

Brent

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Sep 1st, 2007 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Maybe this has been mentioned before but are any of you fellas familiar with the Nielson brothers work and their runout gauge?  It's an interesting read.   (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Dave_Carpenter
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Sep 1st, 2007 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Measuring the rim might help on inexpensive ammo but there is no reason for it on good target ammo. No matter what you do you cannot make a $5 box of ammo shoot like a $10 box. If you want the best .22 ammo you  have to pay for it. One only needs to look at the equipment list of the .22 benchrest shooters for a list of what ammo does the job.

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Sep 2nd, 2007 at 4:30am
Print Post  
greetings again all,

while i do like to play with 'nose flatteners'  and cheap ammo etc. and having cheap ammo that out shot the hi-priced spread, the ammo of choice for me, for a match, is the top of the line match stuff. not because it is more accurate, but for the lack of flyers.

have you ever shot the accurate lo-price stuff, had a great group going then for no reason at all, one goes 1" out?? well, pardner, it wern't you, it was the ammo.. the hi price stuff don't do that.

and that is the differance between losing a match and winning a match..

so for match shooting, spend the buck, by the good stuff. the lack of fliers make it worth the price.

..ttfn..grampa..

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Sep 2nd, 2007 at 7:20am
Print Post  
Quote:
g not because it is more accurate, but for the lack of flyers..

I don't know about the rest of you, but I count fliers when I measure accuracy.   

Brent

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Sep 2nd, 2007 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Quote:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I count fliers when I measure accuracy.  
Brent

Yeah, me too Brent, but apparently we're in the minority here in more ways than one (LOL)!
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint