Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) .22 Ammo (Read 27049 times)
joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: .22 Ammo
Reply #15 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 9:19am
Print Post  
No, here's the target. 
Unless the old-timers has got me, winning 5 shot 50 yard targets tend to start with a .2, occasionally a .3. 
I and others have had some luck with Federal Lightning, HV ammunition. It used to be in a red box, now is in a blue/grey box. The code # on the box is and was "510". With some lots of this I've been able to average ~.5 inch 5 shot groups at 50 yards. 
Last time out, 8/8/07, at 100 yards, it averaged 1.255" for 3 5-shot groups. (CCI Green Tag averaged 1.444", CCI SV averaged 1.9", Federal Gold Medal Match averaged 1.908" I've never had a gun that CCI Green Tag worked in.) 

It also shoots fairly well in my Ruger MK II at both 50 and 100. It ain't great but some lots shoot better than they should. 
joe brennan

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Another try at the bullet picture

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #17 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Suprisingly, I tried Lapua Midas L & M in the Mk III w/ Unertl 10x 1-1/2 at 100 and 200yds. At 100yds, it shot much better than anything I tried before. At 200yds, I had a tough time keeping 10 shots on a ASSRA 200yd offhand target. I switched to the Wolf MT without cleaning the barrel and the accuracy returned to normal very next group. Just points out that every gun is different and you have to find the combination that works.

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
hi ho bp,

on the old shooters.com. rimfire section. there was a guy selling the 'nose flatteners  for 12.50. bought two of them. 

filed down some noses and they worked as good as the high priced spread.. Smiley

and like you say, the groups did tighten up slighty..

maybe if we knew where the rimfire bunch went, we would be able to get more of these gadgets.

with the flat noses, the groups get better or stay the same. it's a no lose situation.

..ttfn..grampa..

IP Logged

chrisj

Reply #19 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
In ASSRA,  isn't the .22 rimfire competition to be with ammo unchanged from the factory production?

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
chrisj wrote on Aug 23rd, 2007 at 4:19pm:
In ASSRA,  isn't the .22 rimfire competition to be with ammo unchanged from the factory production?

I sure don't know but I have to say the group sizes that Homer lists sure aren't impressive enough to convince me that is a good way to go.  And the original question was interested in 200 yds results which I would imagine would be even worse.   

If you go over to the rimfire forum on benchrest.com where some of the more serious .22 shooters hang out, you dont see them mention filing the noses off of bullets.  Haven't noticed that anywhere as a matter of fact (except squirrel hunters).   

Brent

IP Logged

FEB
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
This has been a very useful string for me.  It confirms how fussy 22 rifles can be about the ammo they shoot.

I picked up a used Cody Ballard Number 8 in 22lr earlier this year and have been trying out all sorts of stuff - Remington Subsonics, CCI, Eley Tenex, Lapua Midas M, and Federal Gold Medal Target among them.  The fellow who runs the range where I shoot also gave me some old Eley Benchrest Gold.  I shoot 50 yards with iron sights.

The rifle shot well with the old Eley Benchrest, which they don't make anymore; it doesn't shoot for beans with Tenex.  The best results I have had so far are with Lapua Midas M and Federal Gold Medal Target.  One five shot group with the latter fit in a 1/4 inch by 5/16 inch space.  My best with Lapua is just a hair larger, but my average group size seems more consistent with Lapua.  Given the price difference, I'm shooting mostly Federal.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience.

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #22 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Just looked up the rules and it only says shorts, longs or long rifle permitted. At the ASSRA matches I attend, I was told by the Schuetzenmeisters that only factory unaltered ammo only. No lube changes or reloaded rimfire ammo was allowed. Sorting factory ammo was permitted though. I suspect that altered bullets fall in the same category.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #23 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
38_Cal wrote on Aug 22nd, 2007 at 9:09am:
Has anyone tried Eley Match EPS with the funny looking bullet?  What  results did you get at 100 and 200 yards?  

David
Montezuma, IA

Brent, the original question was about 22 ammo at 100 & 200 yards.

The flat nose bullet's kill harbor Rat's real good!                                                                                  Joe

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I just can't see how those flatnosed bullets can be successful at 200 yds.  Say, I see the original poster is in Montezuma.  David, if you want, come on up to Steamboat Rock on the second Saturday morning in September, and if the range is back above water, you can see a bunch of guys shooting different .22s at 100 and 200 yds.  I think you will see some pretty darn good shooting and most of the best shooters will be using Eley EPS at 200 yds.  At 100 yds, Wolf Match Extra is okay, but the high dollar Eley is what comes out most often unless one has a stash of that old Federal 900B.

We would be glad to have you shoot with us so consider yourself invited.  I can provide directions to the range if you need them.

Brent

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Just to throw in another variable;

Wolf Match Extra = <$400/ case
Eley EPS = $1100/case (!)

I'd wager that with ~3x the practice for your $1000-ish dollars, you may be better off practicing with the "pretty good" ammo 3x more, and getting wind reading experience and trigger time...

I've been shooting Match Extra in Smallbore Prone, and I've proven to myself that more practice helps my scores more than the difference between Match Extra and Eley EPS or Lapua Master.  My rifle likes Lapua Master just as well as Eley... and I can't see paying that much for either one of them.
If I was going to the Nationals, I'd be tempted to take a case of Eley with me... but otherwise, I'll take the added practice of shooting the Wolf.

Paul F.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #26 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Man Oh man!  That's a lot of jingle. 
I just got off the phone with my son. We were talking about markup's and the price of motorcycle part's and helmet's. He work'd at an Audi dealership for about eight years. He told me that their base mark up was 300 percent. My how thing's have change'd. 

I think we should shoot offhand only and let the high price'd ammo sit on the shelf for a while. A long while!! 

I'm still using Fed 900.  If I dont practice with it, it should last me about another ten year's.

I wont be using it on Rat's and Mice that's for sure!      Smiley   

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Icarus
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
If you read Boelters book, the "randomized" fun. expense, and time of trying every cartridge to see what shoots best might be cut in half... or better.
Steven tests a LOT of ammo very well with rifles "matched" to the task. ( benchrest, sporting, and silhouette.) BUT..., to me, what was more enlightening were the chapters devoted to finding the "best ammo" for any given rifle. CHAMBERS, in particular. Apparently there are some 31 different chamber dimensions. anywhere from "Too tight to chamber" to "Loose as a goose" (My term)
His tests using a Lilja barrel rechambered multiple times, proved the match Eley EPS chamber most accurate for a gamut of ammo types. (Even cheaper sporting..) I suggest you guys read him.
If you know your chamber dimensions it should minimize your random quest for accuracy in "your" rifle.
As to which ammo proved most accurate?? Using a Turbo benchrest rifle. the usual subjects... Eley, Lapua. and yes, even Wolf MT.
Shoot small,
Icarus

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 7:09am
Print Post  
My shop is the home of a lot of .22 rimfire ammo, I think of the dollars tied up and it reminds me of a conclusion I came to along time ago.

Unless your shooting in a tunnel to test, just find one that is acceptable and buy the heck out of it.

These rimfires remind me of gun powder, once you have made up your mind that this will work for you, buy enough to shoot for years or in the case of center fire till the rifeling is gone. Tongue

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #29 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 8:22am
Print Post  
My problem is that after I buy a box or 2 of each and test them and figure our one one that shoots best I go to buy a case and the lot I tested is gone. I just gave up and started to shoot Eley yellow box.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint