Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Power Increase (Read 2545 times)
DonH
Ex Member

Power Increase
Aug 20th, 2007 at 4:43am
Print Post  
I am in need of a higher magnification scope but cost IS a factor so have to consider all options. One option is to increase the power of the scope I have which is a 20X STS. Who has had this done, how much incease and by whom? Also how did you like it after the modification?
Ackerman advertises this service and I assume Parsons does it?

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Power Increase
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2007 at 7:31am
Print Post  
Bill Ackerman has boosted Weavers for me in the past and done a very good job.  Story I have is he worked for Weaver and was part of the T design team .  I took a small bost however 10 to 15

Gill Parsons built my STS.   Since you have a STS I think I would go to Gill first. He is the expert on thouse scopes may not recomend bosting though. When you get up to 20 in a STS then go higher I would guess there will be a large price to pay in light and eye relief.  But Gill would know for sure.   

Boats

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2007 at 8:16am
Print Post  
Don, you have the additional advantage of being fairly close (relative to so many of us) to Gil and his scope operation.  His place is South of you in the area just North of Cincinnatti, and he seems to always go to the Ohio Gun Collector's show if you want to catch him in person and chat.  I currently have a STS 20X at his place being restored at the suggestion of our mutual friend Dale53, but can't speak for his ability or willingness to change power of a scope.  I do know that Lyman once advertised the STS up to 30X so we can assume that much SHOULD be possible if proper lenses are still available.

Froggie

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2007 at 8:39am
Print Post  
Don,

I know you prefer the old timey stuff, but the time and cost of having your STS increased, then not having enough light transmission for crisp sight picture, you might want to buy a new style scope.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

This ain't a bad price.

I am sure you could peddle your STS for enough to cover the cost of the Weaver-T

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2007 at 9:21am
Print Post  
DonH: I would look no further than the Sightron in 36X, you can price shop this scope and get buy for under 400.00 bucks. many NBRSA shooters use this scope and win with it. You can Google their web sight and find a lot of dealers with this scope. It is hands down better than the Leupolds at much less the cost.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint