Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Top offhand schuetzen shooters (Read 6441 times)
frederick
Ex Member

Top offhand schuetzen shooters
Aug 16th, 2007 at 8:07am
Print Post  
Since all of us are concerned with scores, even those who claim they are "above" such crass manifestations of human behavior, I have digested data from the last couple of years and offering the following ratings:

#1 Jim Luke*, shoots a Ron Long Ballard in .33-47

#2, 3, 4, 5  Robert Nicewanner, Jack Odor, Chuck Blender, Steve
                 Garbe*  You can scramble this group and it would be
                 and almost any order would be acceptable.

#6,7,8         Dick Norton*, Dave Purcell, Pat Bowland*

#9              Matt Carter*

#10,11         Martin Stenback**, Dave Stahl*  **
* Shoots traditional type rifle

** Presently using shooting jacket

Accuracy not assured but above is gleaned by examining scores from past two years.

How about someone coming up with a list of bench shooters though there is considerable overlap.

Fred

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Top offhand schuetzen shooters
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2007 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Thinking about your top shooters list you have it about right. I know of one or two guys that shoot localy in that class but do not travel to the big west or mid west matches. One of the names you mention shoots our matches and is real good, nice guy too but he does not always win. I would put money on at least one of our eastern shooters against any of the names you mention. 

Along those lines. What Hudson score seperates the "men from the boys"  is it 2100 or higher ?  How about the Hayes Iron sight score is it 2100 ?  I have always felt that 2100 was a benchmark.  And not easy to do either.

What do you think the various club rules mean in potental scores.  ASSRA scoring 100 on the paper . WSU scoring 100 fired.  ISSA 50 shot in squaded relays. Tradional rifle vs modern single shot. smokeless vs black powder.  I think it would be safe to lump them together. Only rule would be 100 shots. 

Surely a modern striker action shooting a short case with modern internal adjustment scope would have an advantage but if the guy with the modern rig could not hold he would not have any advantage with one over something else. Even thought I think it's the most "pure" It would be difficult to police WSU's 100 shot rule. Top level shooters are not going to gain much from being alowed to throw away pulled shots, they are not making many of them.

I was thinking we could have  a 21xx club give some reconigtion to anyone who shoots a score over the bar.  Simmular to the 5 or 10 in a row pins in modern rifle silouette.  You could just mail in the 10 targets to some sort of committe. Heck I would even do it for ASSRA myself.  Pins or patches would not cost much. Little publicity in the magazines would be nice to see too.

I know I never won many silouette matches not even close when I got over club level. But I sure worked hard for those 10 in a row pins. If I thought I could shoot 10 rams would probably drop Schuetzen long enough to get it done. If they let me shoot my rimfire Schuetzen may have a chance but only a slight one.

If possable it would have to be open to anyone, fairly loose target and rifle rules, and fired at any range, Not just Raton/Etna Green. Count the holes and if it's a canidate mail it in thats all. You could even allow postal matches as well as registered schuetzen matches

Boats

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2007 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Boats,
You are correct about some of the "local" shooters in our area. One of the matches we shoot in, the scores are not turned in anywhere. They are sent out in a newsletter to those who attended and no one else knows what kind of scores some of those guys are shooting. I feel very lucky to be shooting with that group and for what they have shared. 
As for the bench rest shooter high scorers, I don't know a whole lot about 'em, but it seems one Mr. Borton has earned a solid spot at the top from what I have seen in the Journal.
Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

frederick
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2007 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
I overlooked the shooting of one Bob Hereen who often shoots at the
Ashville Club. He should be in the top 10.

Fred

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2007 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Bob is who I am thinking about.  He can shoot with anybody.  I go to school on his methods when I have a chance. Chuck Blender is very good but will tell you he is past his prime. I don't know he still turns in some very good scores.  If you notice his scores at ISSA his bench keeps him from winning. He just does not care about bench shooting and since it's agg score keeps him out of the running

I used to shoot sometimes in matches with Ellis Lea.  He must have been 80 at the time and still was the man to beat with a Trapdoor at the Fairfax club.  I can recall him settting the Buffington sight with a pocket magnifyer. Ellis was an olympian and many time medal winner in alll sorts of offhand matches.   

I don't see him at Schuetzen matches any more but HP Gregory also from Virginia is an excelent offhand shot with muzzleloaders.  He used to show up at our high power sillouette matches and run away with everything.

If you could ever get some of the better modern rifle sillouette shooters to try Schuetzen they would surely run away with records and matches.  We are pretty small fish in a big pond.  Understanding that point and recuriting new shooters from other disiplines would be a very good way to grow the sport.

Not that I think it's going to happen

Boats

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 7:08am
Print Post  
Boats,
I have to agree about some of the shooters I know especially from muzzleloading. I have tried to get some of them involved in Schuetzen but it has a tough sell. I did manage to get three of 'em to come out and watch at Brushy Mt for a little while. They like to ask me about my "Gentlemen's Shooting Match" from time to time. But so far I haven't been able to convert any of 'em. But you can bet I'll keep trying! I almost had one guy, Robert Hicks, involved in the Winter League WSU .22 off hand match, but he had to work weekends last winter. The .22 seems to get some interest because of the ease of loading and availability.
Merwin
P.S. Maybe I can get The Frog to help me double team some of 'em and get 'em shootin'!

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 7:10am
Print Post  
Where is Jim Feren mentioned? I believe that one could make the argument that he is the #1 shooter of SS rifles.
joe brennan

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 7:45am
Print Post  
I think Fredrick mentioned Jim Feren in the origional post.  My list was only East Coast Shooters that have shot Schuetzen in the past

Feren was a National Champion Silouette shooter years ago.  I never met him but he wrote some articles on offhand shooting I saved and still refer to.

Boats

IP Logged

frederick
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 11:25am
Print Post  
When I started this thread I was only refering to current shooters. I've been informed by Jim Feren that he is no longer active in single shot activity.

Fred

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #9 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 12:43am
Print Post  
And if you were to include the Canadian National ISSA best offhand shooters you need to include:

200 Yard Iron Sight O.H.     438/500   Ken Nelson
200 Yard Iron Sight O.H.     438/500   Colleen Molendyk
200 Yard Any Sight O.H.     454/500    Colleen Molendyk

IP Logged

Wapiti

Reply #10 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Gents,
When "Modern Rifle Silhouette Shooters" are mentioned, evidently most of the posters here are unaware that Feren, Hines, and Wigger are past NATIONAL SILHOUETTE CHAMPIONS, and if you include silhouette shooters Grant Gruver and Mike Gibbs, the Coors/ISSA Championship has been won 22 out of the first 25 times by them.

I don't know if Dave Stahl, the first winner, Jim Luke, Jeff Odor or Chuck Blender  have shot much silhouette.

I don't think that the Coors/ISSA match has ever been decided at the bench. Its "Stand on your hind legs and shoot like a man".

It's interesting to read all the theories from the "expurts" with 3 years experience!

Good shooting! Cool

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 6:24am
Print Post  
I don't know his national records but Chuck Blender was one of the best Sillouette shooters in the East "in the day"

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint