Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) I want to start a match (Read 6264 times)
Bruce P

I want to start a match
Aug 8th, 2007 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
OK Gents.................

I wish to direct this question to those who've put on and run Schuetzen matches before.

I am a member of a club that has a small group who are passionately interested in Schuetzen rifles. I would like to put on and run a match, and am seeking information on how to get started.

I am not new to running shoots. I've been involved in running NMLRA Territorial & similar matches for some years now. I have some ideas of my own, but would much appreciate a little input from those of you who've been there & done that before.

I would like to run the match(es) to entertain my shooters for at least a weekend. Example 9:00am to 5:00pm Saturday. 9:00am to 2:00pm Sunday. I want to give them plenty to shoot.

All suggestions welcome.     Bruce

IP Logged

Black_Prince
Ex Member

Re: I want to start a match
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Good question Bruce.  I'll also be interested in the answer.  I belong to two ranges and I'll bet I can get those Buffalo Rifle Shooters interested in schuetzen shooting.  If I can get them started, maybe we could form our own little group and get certified.

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
shoot what ever you want!!!!
currently I can say that I shoot three different types of "scheutzen"
what I call the traditional  ie assra type rules where the rifle must bve of single shot falling block type reciever, iron or scope smokeless or black,(any safe load) plain base lead bullets.
Then there is the newbraunfels schuetzen verein, it has been around since 1849, and currently the shoot both awful hand scope and iron, and standing stairstep rest at 100 yards 22 rimfire.
then there is fredericksburg we shoot a fun combinatrion of open iron sights  both cemterfire and rimfire at 200 yards.
the most common cALIBER IS 22-250.
so as they say schuetzen is open to your own idea.
there is also a club uip near houston called  apelts hill that has its own version and they shoot every thing from a 30-30 lever gun to a 7mm mag form a peg on a post!!
do hope this helps.
irish

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Bruce, 

You may wish to get a few match bulletins from various other local clubs.  If you will send me a PM with your regular email address, I can send you my most recent one as an attachment.  You will need official targets from your santioning body if you wish to have a sanctioned match, so give yourself some lead time to get them shipped in.  If you wish to affiliate with ASSRA and be sanctioned by them, you will need to contact Marty Stenbeck, the director in charge of affiliated local clubs.

Do you have a 200 yd range, or is it only 100 yds?  This will affect which targets and which matches you can have.  How about your firing line?  How many firing points, are there benches to shoot from, is the line covered, etc?   

As you may have seen, I just had my first one in June, and will be having my second in September, so your problems and challenges are fresh in my mind.  I will tell you that IMHO, "It's the toughest job you'll ever love!"

Regards,
Charlie Shaeff
the Green Frog

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
I can only give you the benefit of my limited experience... (assuming you can call it being benefited, of course... ).

I had some experience running other-than-schuetzen matches at my club also... and after picking up an EMF Sharps 1874, I decided I wanted to run a match I could shoot it in.  I don't know squat about shooting Black Powder (well, I know a lot more NOW than I did then... ). Our range couldn't reasonably accomodate a silhouette course.
So.. that meant Schuetzen.
I hadn't heard of the ASSRA yet.. so I was making it up as I went along.

I got 4-5 guys with single shot rifles enthused about the idea, and put it on the annual calendar of events.  Ironically, by the time that first match rolled around, the EMF Sharps was still back at EMF's gunsmith getting straightened out (LONG story there... which I won't go in to right now...)... but I had purchased a Haenel-Aydt with left-hand stock (which this south-paw very much appreciates!).

We showed up, we shot, we had fun.   I asked the guys that showed up if they wanted to do it 3-4 times the following year. They did.
I got a few more Black Powder guys from the "other" local club interested.
The next couple matches I started introducing a few rules... always announced at the end of the previous match so no one got caught flat footed.

Right now, there are only three rules the ASSRA uses that I don't... ( I don't care what kind of base their lead bullet has, I don't care if they use a palm rest, and the shooter gets to fire 30 shots for a 30 shot course... none of this "shots on paper" nonsense...).
I'm even using ASSRA targets now after depleting some old targets in the Club's target shed.

I also have an "Honor Target" at each match. Each shooter puts in a dollar for a single shot at the Honor Target.  The shooter with the shot closest to the center wins the "pot" and the honor target.
I have used an 1898 German postage stamp as a target, and I have used a color photocopy of a 1910 German 100 Mark note.. with the original note in a frame as the "prize" along with the stack of dollars.   
The hardest part is seeing from 200 yards away the holes as each shooter shoots 'em. (it's a 300 yard walk to our 200 yard targets... pond/swamp in the way...).

My main "principle" in running these matches has been to be as inclusive as I can without damping the "spirit" of the matches.... Old fashioned, stand-on-your-hind-legs, single-shot rifle, SHOOTING.   

This year, much to my surprise and enjoyment, one of the black-powder guys from our other local club has started running a couple Schuetzen matches too!  We've got a friendly team rivalry going (well, not much of a rivalry, they mopped the floor with us this year...sure was fun though!).

You only need a few guys to start.   
Get some targets, get together, and shoot!   

Hope this helps!
Paul F.

IP Logged

nickm
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Hello Irish 66      Its been afew days since I have heard from you. Some type of bench shooting would be nice as long as I can get one of my rifles shooting. Still not doing any good with my shooting. My new mould came in but my groups are no better. I'll get it but it may take awhile.        Nick

IP Logged

Bruce P

Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 6:40am
Print Post  
Green Frog,

Please check your private messages.

Bruce

IP Logged

Bruce P

Reply #7 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Paul,

I appreciate reading about your experiences.

My own ideas are not far removed from yours.

Regards, Bruce

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #8 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Bruce,

I'll send a detailed PM as soon as time allows.  Just a couple of random notes, though.  You might want to have some rim fire @ 100 on the range you described in your PM...a lot of people seem to have a single shot .22 like a Martini, or a Favorite, or whatever.

I like the idea of keeping it pretty simple...sometimes we try to have too many matches on our program.  That said, the King Match IS great fun for all, and what we did in June was allow each shooter registered for the day one shot at that day's King Target as part of their registration.  We even lent rifles around for those who needed them.  The prize is the target which everyone signs by their bullet hole.

I was fortunate to "inherit" a club's group and have a place we could arrange to shoot, so I didn't literally have to "start from scratch" but that first match involves a lot of discovery.  I'll be in touch soon.

Regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 12:41am
Print Post  
I have a suggestion for you fellows and gals who may want to start a new match (Schuetzen style). Write ASSRA and order out a rule book. It explains the various matches quite well. Also ask for information on available targets. ASSRA has official targets from fifty feet, fifty yards, 100 yards, and 200 yards. 

With the rulebook and targets in hand that are appropriate for your range, you are on your way. I suggest that you give serious thought to duplicating ASSRA;s matches where practical. That way each match you shoot is practice for when you go to Etna Green (where I guarantee you a good time). The shooting is laid back, the time limits are generous and the people are helpful. Etna Green (Beeson's Range) is out in the country but there are lots of good restaurants nearby and I find Warsaw, IN a very nice and interesting place. You are close to Amish country and your better half may enjoy touring that area while you shoot. Think about it!

Dale53

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Bruce, 

You should have an e-mail from gfrog53 in your regular email box.  We'll talk after you've had time to peruse that stuff.  BTW, what part of the country are you located in?  Maybe some of the board regulars who are shooters and not just lurkers can make it out to participate.

Froggie

IP Logged

Bruce P

Reply #11 - Aug 11th, 2007 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Minnesota-Twin City area.

Bruce

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #12 - Aug 11th, 2007 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Bruce, I sent you a LOOOONG e-mail before I read this latest.  I would add that since you are in MN, you should be able to find a match to drive to at least once, even though it will be perhaps too far to drive repeatedly, so you can see how other matches in the region are run.  I see there is a local affiliate at the Oakdale Gun Club, perhaps you could find a match there.  If not, you may have to go to the next state, but I believe you would find it worth your while to do so.

Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint