Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Weaver B6 Scope (Read 19370 times)
MI-shooter

Weaver B6 Scope
Aug 6th, 2007 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Anyone know anything about these scopes (vintage, quality etc)? It is a 3/4 diameter 14" long scope with a slightly larger eyepiece. I found one at the local gun emporium in nice condition and thought it might look nice on a martini due to it's extreme length. Looks to be a rimfire scope from the 1960's maybe?

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Weaver B6 Scope
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
I have a couple of them.  the B's were intended for rimfire rifles, probably the least expensive Weavers.  My B 6 was on my Marlin 39 A bought used in 1962  Looking through it now wonder I ever hit a squirrel. I can't recomend them for use today. There is a lot better out there.

The K's however can be nice scopes.  I have a K 8 thats adjustable objective and has a good sight picture. It's pretty long too probaly 14 inches. The negative on K's is the adjustments don't click.  Used they are not particulary expensive I would probaly sell that K for less than 50 bucks on ebay At fixed distance it's a good scope.  K 6 a bit more as hunters like them.

The Weavers you want are T's good optics adjustable objective thats precise and the best windage and elevation adjustment of any internal scope. Micro Track and when you click it it does what it's suposed to do.  Ony thing the suffer from when compared to a Leopould is coated optics and they are not sealed.  Not a big negative on the target range.  Aftermarket bost and custom reticules are readaly avalable for T's  They are sought after used. I would put the price on a 10 at 250 or so with a 16 bringing more

I have a number of scopes on offhand rifles Leopolds Lymans Unertils etc. and think a T 16 Weaver is as good as it can get

Boats

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Boats
My inquiry was a bit off topic. Not looking at using a B6 for any sort of competition. Was thinking of making a glue on base for the .32 S&W Long martini rook rifle as a "woods" rifle. The length would suit the martini action fine and somewhat look appropriately sized to the rifle. Just wondering if they held up well in the small calibers. Optics look fine for 50yds or less use I planned.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Old B6 Weavers were not in the same league as target scopes, but remember, the old Weaver 330 was used as a sniper scope on the 03 Springfields, and worked well!
The optics of a B6 were no different than the other Weavers of that era, including the 330. They used lenses provided by Bausch and Lomb, and when they are clear and clean, they will work fine as a small game scope, and are pretty rugged when it comes to recoil.
For what you plan, the B6 will be fine.-Vall

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
I have one on a Stevens "Favorite" .22 and it works & looks great as a squirrel rifle. The optics are very good, though a bit dark when the light is bad. Then again, I don't take my squirrel hunting too seriously.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 8:01am
Print Post  
Looks aside I gave the "b"s up for  squirrel hunting with my old Marlin 39A  The optics are just not good enough for me.  As far as the 330's on 0303's they did  use them but if you look at the old reports nobody had anything good to say.

I am using a KT 6 Weaver, Old steel tube scope with micro track adjustments under a hunting turret on that rifle now

My modern T/C carbine squirrel rifle carries a Leopold compact 3x9 A/O that has had target knobs added.   

The marlin/weaver outfit will outshoot it.  on a bench or at a match perhaps not, but in the woods it's better for me anyway.  It's a subjective choice I guess

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
The problem with the B6 is the tube diameter, which is a problem with all the old small tube scopes. They don't gather enough light for serious target work, or work in low light situations.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Weaver also made a 7/8 tube scope that was the 'J' series AIR, and I believe they may have had some other 7/8" models as well. These were a significant improvement over the 3/4" models.
ttfn, Joe

IP Logged

rwjshooter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Hi Guys
I have a question, while we're on Weavers I have one of the 7/8"tube models a D or C but the question being it has no crosshairs how was this used? as Joe said it is alot brighter than the 3/4 " 
thanks
ray

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint