Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why the switch from octagon to round? (Read 14842 times)
Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Why the switch from octagon to round?
Reply #15 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Brent, 

You seem to have somehow missed the point of my comment about custom rifles.  If the barrels of Pope, Schoyen, et al would have shot better with a barrel profile that was of ANY shape, that's likely what they would have used.  For instance, I've never heard of Pope making a 7 sided barrel although he was quite concerned about the INSIDE of the barrel.  He sometimes bought pre-drilled barrel stock from the big companies and worked from there...so we see, for instance, octagon Winchester marked barrels also marked "rifled by HM Pope."  BTW, one of Pope's own pet rifles had a barrel with an unfinished round contour IIRC, referred to as "dog fight."

What I meant to imply, but maybe should have stated more succinctly, was that the octagon barrels we all seem to love (and yes, several of my favorite rifles wear them!) are really just a styling throwback and have little or no effect on the shootability of the rifle.  The additional machining, if done haphazardly, MAY even introduce additional stresses into the barrel's steel, but it PROBABLY has no effect on stiffening or cooling, or whatever...it is pretty much cosmetic nowadays, and if you want to make it look pretty (as I sometimes do) have at it; but don't expect improved performance out of this feature.

On the other hand, if you want cooling with stiffness and other benefits from the exterior of the barrel, the current research suggests spiral or straight fluting, a larger knob left on the muzzle end, or even a reverse taper.  Those methods are outside the scope of this question and get their own thread (and hoots from the traditionalists!  Roll Eyes )

Green Frog

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
You are right I missed that point.   

I don't buy it however.  Note that custom gunmakers today use round or octagon barrels and they all make very accurate rifles.  The old ccustom gun makers used what the customer wants - then as now I suspect.   

The real question is why did the octagons ever start (long long before Pope et al hit the scene)?  And for that matter, why were they first (more or less)?   

Brent

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #17 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
To quote the gambler, "You paid to see the cards, lessons cost extra."  Before you keep tugging at this thread, please read and think about my WHOLE original answer and what it means, because I answered the question of why they started making octagon barrels in the old days...that was the way to make a finished surface while lacking sufficient machines to make a finely finished round barrel.  This information came to me from Robert Carr, an apprentice from the historic shop of Hacker Martin (flintlock builder of the early to mid-20th century.)

If you want an extended history of this topic, read and think about what each of the respondents has said and then read some of the commonly available resources.  When you can add to or refute what has been said, contribute it.  If you just want to stir the pudding, please go to a cooking forum.

Green Frog

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Okay frog, whatever.  You have meerly confirmed what I said myself.   

Everybody is a little touchy today I guess.   

Brent

IP Logged

wesg
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
"probably no rifle barrel quite so difficult as a Rigby"

Perhaps, but some cheat by milling a dovetailed pocket and driving in an insert. And then say that's how the originals were done Wink

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
speculation:   octogonal barrels started because of the hand or simple trip hammer forging required to create them by welding around mandrels.   As steel especially the industrial revolution Bessemer proccess made casting and rolling steel bars and deephole drilling them on power machines possible round barrels became practical and economical.  (How many octogonal post 1840 military musket/rifles has anyone seen---even the Rev war era arsenal-made muskets were usually round)
Hand built octogonal barrels were de-rigour for sporting guns and while more expenssive to make from round bars the fashion justified the increased cost--and that made it even more attractive. 
  the 1876 Centennial fostered a huge but pretty well forgotten revival of old-time, pioneery-looking stuff,  which I'll bet included a fashion trend for octogon rifle barrels that is still with us.   Just out of curiosity, anyone know when Win began putting oct. barrels on their lever actions?

Frog fire up your mill,  I like the idea of a 7-sided barrel,  if we can have 16 sided ones why not a 7-sided one after all it is a magical number--might help your scores Roll Eyes

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Note that, for the same amount of metal, and hence weight, the octagonal section is stiffer than the round.
Fred.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
I for one wouldn't agree with that statement - it might be in some directions, and not in others.  After all, with 2 opposing flats...

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian wrote on Aug 10th, 2007 at 12:21pm:
I for one wouldn't agree with that statement - it might be in some directions, and not in others.  After all, with 2 opposing flats...

I'm in total agreement with the above, I might add that a round tube resist deflection much better than any other shape.

In this world of shooting from a rifle barrel, when I have questions about what does it take to be the most capable for accuracy, I've always cheated and asked the best barrel makers of the day. I can't remember a single one since 1967 that has ever told me an octagonal.

I know that the people at the extreme end of peak accuracy, don't seem to be screwing octagonal barrels to their receivers. For what little that will mean to some here.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I know that the people at the extreme end of peak accuracy, don't seem to be screwing octagonal barrels to their receivers. For what little that will mean to some here.

An octagonal barrel has never AFAIK won a national BR match or set a national BR record.
'Nuff said, regards, Joe

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
sometime I'll have to do a check but I'm willing to be that a lot of the top bench shooters at EG are using round short heavy barrels.    I think its been pretty well estabilished that as far as most modern propellents go shorter and stiffer is more productive than longer barrels.

however since we are into BOTH precision and tradition, we still see a lot of the octogonal barrels, particularly for the offhand and iron sighted guns where other factors probably out weigh the +/_ factors of round vrs octogon.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Being slightly surprised at the reaction to my statement, I just did the sums. It has nothing to do with beliefs, although I have been accused of treating target shooting as a religion-----
A free floating barrel is a cantilever. Octagonal barrels always have a flat at the top. Since the maths has a lot of fourth powers in it, if we start by taking an across flats dimension of 1", a lot of the complication vanishes, since one to the power four is one.
Vertical stiffness is directly proportional to the moment of inertia (second moment of area) of the section, in the plane of bending which I am taking as vertical for this example.
The area of our 1" octagon is 0.828 inches squared and the moment of inertia is 0.055 inches to the power four.
We then calculate the diameter of a circle whose area is 0.828 and this turns out to be 1.026696.
The corresponding moment of inertia is given by 0.049 times the diameter raised to the power four and this is 0.05444.
The octagon is stiffer than the circular section, but not by very much and in the real world it can't matter.
Fred.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
I believe you said "of equal weight".  The diameter of a round barrel that is equal in weight to an octagon barrel that is 1" across the flats will be greater than 1".   

Brent

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Brent: It is---I said so---its 1.02 something.
Fred.

IP Logged

wesg
Senior Forum Member

Reply #29 - Aug 11th, 2007 at 3:29am
Print Post  
Fred is absolutely correct, and I'll add that the orientation of an octagon makes no difference to it's bending stiffness. Same goes for fluted barrels as long as the flutes are evenly spaced.

I don't know what effect it has on torsional stiffness.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint