Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) ISSA  Championships Match (Read 9458 times)
bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

ISSA  Championships Match
Aug 5th, 2007 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Just got back from Raton and the ISSA Championship. Had a great time and the weather was perfect this year. Turn out was down (around 60 I would guess) I guess gas prices among other things are hurting everyones matches. I guess the reason for this thread is that I have to think that it sure would be nice if we could get the various associations to come together. I have been a competitive shooter for over 30 years and everytime we have a group split off (for what ever reason, which for this doesn't matter) and start a new association we weaken the sport. A present we have the ASSRA, ISSA, and the WSU who all function seperate. I know each has its different rules, but basically all are single shot rifle fans. My feelings are that as a combined group we would have more power to get sponsors/support from industry, which would mean more press, which would mean more possible growth. What does everyone else think?

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: ISSA  Championships Match
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Bnice

I agree with you 100 %  However I would not bet on ASSRA board agreeing to any sort of consolidation.   

Boats

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Aug 5th, 2007 at 8:37pm:
Bnice

I agree with you 100 %  However I would not bet on ASSRA board agreeing to any sort of consolidation.  

Boats

And THAT'S the real shame!
Too bad, Joe

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
I do have to agree with y'all. at the last tssra match I attended we shot both assra, and wsu rules and most likely i am going to stick to shooting in the back yard till there is some stability. as how can you know if a rifle is legal to shoot with 3 different sets of rules?
shoot to enjoy
irish

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 7:50am
Print Post  
Although I am a former BofD member of ASSRA, I have no current dog in this fight.  (I'm not named Vick!) I DO, however, have the reponsibility for organizing a twice a year match here in Central VA.  I use ASSRA's rules because that's who the local club has always been affiliated with and because there is no ISSA or WSU presence in this part of the country.

That being said, I would have absolutely no problem with the competition committees of the three aforementioned sanctioning bodies (or whoever else) getting together and formulating a common set of rules.  That's the real rub, isn't it?  If the average Joe shooter could just take a single rifle or group of rifles and then travel around and shoot at whatever match he desired, the name fo the sanctioning body (and who gets the fees) would be immaterial TO JOE SHOOTER! It might even be possible to do as I have done and make small changes (buttplate, scope, palm rest, etc.) at a given range to allow for small differences in local rules.

JMHO, and worth everything you paid for it, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it! 

Froggie

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 8:20am
Print Post  
As the Green Frog says I have no dog in this fight either. I just like to shoot single shots and will affliate with any group that runs good matches. In my area it's ASSRA and the local Schuetzenmasters do a wonderfull job of running good matches.

On the plus side A single organazation would be much stronger and more effecient.  Mailing list newsletters magazines and all could see economy and better support with a larger base. The sport could be promoted to new shooters better than we do today.

On the negative side people that are in charge now would loose contol.  In the case of ASSRA a lot of control.  It's run from Etna Green and a national organazation that included all Schuetzen or single shot shooters would want to have a say in what happens.  I don't know the structure of the other groups it may be the same. Central control.

Not to be negative on the hard work put in by ASSRA officers, it's just it would be different under a national group. I would speculate that the people doing the hard work now would welcome such a consolidation.

Boats

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 9:46am
Print Post  
OK lets explore this a little. The devil is in the details (Shooting Rules) so lets do a survey to see if we can come to an agreement on some ussues that devide us into 3 groups.
Propelents:  Black powder or any powder?
Targets:      Rings to 15 or further?
Color:         Black, Red what shade of red?
Measurement: From the leaded edge for offhand & Center for bench?
Sights:         Click or non click?
Diaptors:      Front, rear or both or none?
Scopes:        click, non click, external  adjustable, Internal justable, any?
Rimfire:        fixed or breachseated or any
Tuners:        What is a tuner? allowed or not?
Are shooting coats allowed? what about back support belts?
10 shots at the paper or 10 holes in the paper.
Cartridges:    Traditional those made befor 1915 or any.

That ought to get us started. 
These are issues that devided us and they will need to be worked out before we can put Humpty Dumpty back togeather again. 
I am not trying to shoot this down. I am trying to guage how much everyone is willing to bend because thats what it will take to make us one organisation again. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 10:09am
Print Post  
I prefer to say that I have no dog in this race, rather than talk about a fight!

IMO the control issue is central. Each of these ponds is fairly small and so the frogs (sorry Charlie, please notice the lower-case 'F'!) running them seem a lot bigger to themselves and their friends.

Who wants to look smaller?

None of the three can actually be considered a truly nationwide organization, for various reasons, and that's not likely to change under the present conditions. You can argue otherwise all you want, but the fact remains that all 3 are primarily regional orgs with entrenched special interests and have always resisted any attempt at change. The ASSRA, being the oldest, is also the most entrenched and stagnant.

It would take some truly visionary and unselfish leaders to voluntarily choose to expand their purview to a truly national level, and I simply don't see it happening unless the members want it enough to put pressure on their leaders. Or get new leaders.

And under the existing voting rules of the ASSRA, the vast majority of the members simply cannot vote at all because they don't attend Etna Green. Looks like a Catch-22 to me. You can't vote if you don't attend, and if you do live close enought to attend then you're almost certain to be buds with the EG big frogs and so will tend to rubber-stamp your friends' positions. It's just human nature.

That's the history. Those who don't learn from it are doomed to repeat it.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 10:14am
Print Post  
JD you hit the nail on the head.  I am glad for what I have and not going to worry about whats not going to change  ASSRA is a Etna Green club and will always be.

Boats

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 10:26am
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Aug 6th, 2007 at 9:46am:

Propelents:  Black powder or any powder?

Yes

Quote:
Targets:      Rings to 15 or further?

Offhand targets to 10 ring.

Quote:
Color:         Black, Red what shade of red?

Yes - NOT ASSRA "red".  WSU works fine as does NMLRA red

Quote:
Measurement: From the leaded edge for offhand & Center for bench?

Of course.

Quote:
Sights:         Click or non click?

Yes again.

Quote:
Diaptors:      Front, rear or both or none?

yup

Quote:
Scopes:        click, non click, external  adjustable, Internal justable, any?

yup, any

Quote:
Rimfire:        fixed or breachseated or any

Breechseated rimfire?  Sure

Quote:
Tuners:        What is a tuner? allowed or not?

tuners are well undestood - don't need them

Quote:
Are shooting coats allowed? what about back support belts?

Only if the comfort index is over 105 deg F Smiley

Quote:
10 shots at the paper or 10 holes in the paper.

holes.  

Quote:
Cartridges:    Traditional those made befor 1915 or any.

traditional of course.  

Quote:
That ought to get us started. 
These are issues that devided us and they will need to be worked out before we can put Humpty Dumpty back togeather again. 
I am not trying to shoot this down. I am trying to guage how much everyone is willing to bend because thats what it will take to make us one organisation again.

Well you are well intentioned, but I don't think this is about the details of the rules.  It is about who controls what?  JD is exactly right.  And who and what is going to pay for Etna Green too? 

Brent

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #10 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
With all due respect to Joe & Brent (you both know this ain't going to be good right) You both couldn't be more wrong. The problem isn't the leadership of the ASSRA or the ISSA afraid of giving up "power" Its about more people not taking responsibility. Every year at the spring shoot the board has to send out press gangs just to get people to run for an office. If anyone is serious about changing anything all they have to do is show up and run for office tell the membership what they belive and see how the votes fall. I don't know for sure but I bet the ISSA board has the same problems just getting people to take spots making decissions about the rules and how the matchs are run. Everyone wants to sit by and carp about what the board does but none of them want to take the responsibility of leadership. Its easier to be an armechair quarterback and tell Peyton Manning what he should have done without a couple of 300 lb guys comming at you. But nobody wants to put in the time or the energy or has the guts to put it out there and have the rest of the sea lawyers complane. Their egos won't handle it. We all owe a debt of gratitude the the people in the ASSRA, ISSRA and the WSU that will put in the time and considerable energy to try and make a shooting program work. 
I asked a simple question. Who is willing to bend on their rules? Because the first thing we will have to do is set up rules. Without them you have anarchy. 
Well I'm through ranting now you go back to the campfire, make smores and sing Koom By Yah. I'll just smile down from my corner office on the top floor of Schuetzen Towers in greater down town Etna Green and bask in my power. Bah

40 Rod

IP Logged

frederick
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
40 Rod, good thoughts. For starters here I feel are the major issues and remedies:

1. WSU would have to permit sighting targets throughout a match.

2. ASSRA would not allow shooting jackets and would establish an open
    class and a traditional class.

3. ISSA would adopt the larger format target though I heard that at Raton they scored out to ten ring using overlays.

These changes should not present major problems considering that probably all shooters are members of one or more of the above and
are getting the ASSRA Journal and the Black Powder Cartridge News.

fred

IP Logged

chrisj

Reply #12 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Anyone ever look for a summary of the rules on either the ASSRA or the WSU websites?  If you were a shooter considering the sport would you go to a match without some reliable idea about what the rules actually are?

I don't think it's critical whether the scoring rings go to 10 or 13 or whether the spot in the middle is black or red.  I would want to be able to determine before I make the trip, that my equipment was eligible, and that I had some idea as to the match procedures.

A start by posting on the website, of what the rule are would be a good start towards generating crossover participation in matches, which would be the start of unification.  A second step would be to put them in similar formats, but that might be hoping for too much.

Chris Jens

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Chris,

The WSU rules are at : (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

40-rod, I'll just have to respectfully disagree.  As long at you guys will only hold court at Etna Green, it is no surprise that you have trouble finding officers.   

Enjoy your corner office.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #14 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Brent
Those rules were set up when the ASSRA was young they work fine for our members as no one has proposed changing them. There is a mechanism for changing the rules in any organisation. 
1.)  Join the organisation.
2.) Get a Constitution
3.) Brush up on Roberts Rules of Order.
4.) Come to a meeting and make a proposal
Brent don't wait for somebody else to do it for you if you want it done do it. As I said before its much easier when you can just stand outside and throw stones.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint