Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Francotte Martini (cadet style action) (Read 7176 times)
NewburyR
Ex Member

Francotte Martini (cadet style action)
Jul 30th, 2007 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
I have a Francotte Martini Cadet style .22 cal. rifle that is missing all internal action parts. Does anyone know a source for these parts? NewburyR

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Re: Francotte Martini (cadet style action)
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Sorry, I had a similar experience with a BSA Cadet stripped frame I had, never could find a decent source of parts for it so I finally gave it away. It appeared to me that the parts were identical to my own two Francotte rifles, and I actually did try interchanging some components in the different frames and subframes, they fit OK with only an occasional few ten-thou differences in pin diameters and parts clearances. I believe that BSA parts will come very close to interchangiing into your Francotte receiver with few problems.

The problem is finding the internal parts. I've found that bare stripped frames are fairly easy to acquire, but the guts appear to be nonexistent in the US. I found a source in the UK but haven't been able to deal with him successfully.

If you can't locate the parts, I'd be interested in trading for your rifle. I like the original Francottes better than the later BSAs or Greeners.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Other than the auction sites and buying things piecemeal and fitting everything, I'd try John Appleton and see if he will sell you a barreled action that has a bad outer receiver and a worthless barrel that could be fitted to your receiver.   Try posting on (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) . They have alot of connections and I have gotten alot of help there, both in the US and overseas.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
(This doesn't help - but) I have a Francotte Martini Cadet barrel (and woodwork and sights).

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
As do I, 297/230 and true boys' stock dimensions, leftovers from my current project.

Wish I could find another Francotte action.......
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2007 at 1:28am
Print Post  
Do you have a Francotte Martini or do you have a BSA Francotte pattern Martini?  It makes a difference. 

If you have a BSA then the advice you have been give is just fine. I would add watch EBAY.

If you have a Francotte, then you may have a problem.  The BSA  parts may fit and may not. Good luck.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2007 at 2:30am
Print Post  
If your going to look for parts on Ebay, you'd better do it in the next few days. As of Mid August they are introducing a total ban on firearms parts, including empty brass, bullet heads, scopes, magazines, and individual component parts of firearms. In other words they won't allow any firearms related sales at all. 

[highlight]Matt Halprin 
Hello everyone…In mid-August, we will be updating our Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy to place more restrictions around gun-related items. Once these changes take effect, we will prohibit listings of any firearm part that is required for the firing of a gun. This includes items like bullet tips, brass casings and shells, barrels, slides, cylinders, magazines, firing pins, trigger assemblies, etc. Please read the Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy for more details on our current policy. 
As you may know, eBay does not allow the listing of any items which are regulated by individual states or the federal government; however, there are still a large number of firearm-related parts that are legal and are widely available in retail stores. These items have also historically been allowed on eBay. 

After learning that some items purchased on eBay may have been used in the tragedy at Virginia Tech in April 2007, we felt that revisiting our policies was not only necessary, but the right thing to do. After much consideration, the Trust & Safety policy team – along with our executive leaders at eBay Inc. – have made the decision to further restrict more of these items than federal and state regulations require. 

This new update continues to encourage safety among our community members and brings our policies in the U.S. and Canada in closer alignment with our existing policies in other markets around the globe. 

Sincerely, 

Matt Halprin
Vice President, Trust & Safety [/highlight

Copied from a BPCR MSN post.

I presume that the cars, baseball bats, hammers, pick axe handles they sell never cause harm or injury to anyone.

Harry

IP Logged

NewburyR
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the input and advice. It is a Francotte as it is stamped on the side of the receiver and J.D. Steele is correct, the internal dimensions are very close. The width is the same and the length is close but the distance from the lever pivot to the breech block pivot is about .050" smaller. I ran a wire EDM before I retired and I started to make some parts but did'nt get to finish them. I have two BSA's so I was able to get most of the dimensions. From what I've read Francotte developed the system for the BSA's so I was'nt surprised to some of the dimension the same. I saw one complete rifle at gun show several years ago, the owner wanted about $800.00 for it! Thanks, NewburyR

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint